Wireless File Browsing

lyoung2010

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking for a way/app that allows me to access my files on my computer (Windows 7) and be able to upload/download them from my Droid X. I use Orb, but its complicated and doesnt allow me to download files such as a .pdf to my phone so are there alternatives? Thanks in advance

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I run Linux so this is easy, but you can install an SSH server under Windows as well. From there I use DroidSCP to browse the files on my home system. Depending on your technical prowess the initial setup may be a little rough, but once it's working transferring files is dead simple.

You can also use DropBox and store your files "in the cloud." I use Ubuntu One (a similar service) with AndroidU1. There is a Windows client, but to be honest you'd probably be happier with DropBox at this stage unless you want to learn more about Linux.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
You can connect to your computer via the native file share server. Go to files> file manager> shared folders> add server. Once you add your computer you will have access to all your files. I copy pdf's to my X all the time. No need for an app.

Last edited:

kemo46

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
You can connect to your computer via the native file share server. Go to files> file manager> shared folders> add server. Once you add your computer you will have access to all your files. I copy pdf's to my X all the time. No need for an app.

I have a question, I can locate the server using your instructions but once the computer/ip address comes up and I click it, it says logon failure, re enter authentification info. I hit OK and it asks for user id and password. What is this? I have a secure wireless network but it is already logged on to that for the wifi connection. Any guidence would be appreciated.

RTR13

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I am running w7 and have ALL my folders set to share. However, I get the error: Login failed- re enter password and uder name. Neither have ever been set up and I can still share all my folders over my network through other media sources (blu ray, Fusion HD Media Player). I can't get the DX to allow me to see/share my folders?

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I have a question, I can locate the server using your instructions but once the computer/ip address comes up and I click it, it says logon failure, re enter authentification info. I hit OK and it asks for user id and password. What is this? I have a secure wireless network but it is already logged on to that for the wifi connection. Any guidence would be appreciated.

You probably have a user name and password for your computer (Windows 7 or XP). I have one as well, that is the information it is asking for not the secure Wifi password. Let me know if that helps.

Last edited: