Is it stealing?

Should WiFi tethering be free, is it stealing without plan?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kentusmc

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
So many people are debating the tethering issue, some say its stealing, others say that its our right being as how we pay for unlimited data. I am curious what everyone thinks.

Google wants us to have the ability, the carriers don't. Who is right?

Please feel free to explain your vote in a civil manner. There is no need to flame eachother just because they have a different view.

Last edited:

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
So many people are debating the tethering issue, some say its stealing, others say that its our right being as how we pay for unlimited data. I am curious what everyone thinks.

Google wants us to have the ability, the carriers don't. Who is right?

Do you pay the carrier for tethering? No? Well its stealing then.

It is not your right to tether if you're not paying for it. Yes, you might have unlimited data, but that unlimited is ONLY good for data usage on the device. It does not cover data usage THROUGH the device acting as a hotspot or otherwise. The argument that because you pay for unlimited you have the right to tether is BS. You signed a contract for using data on your device. If you want to tether, pay for it.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Smartphone tether for a PC/Laptop/Mac's internet use vs. only phone internet use seems a cheap but quantum difference in data usage. I have no illusions that it's unfair to charge for a phone's internet use while providing internet access for a computer.

HOWEVER, someday ... SOMEHOW, we will be free (I hope) of either cable or phone service (or even satellite) to access the internet.** Meanwhile, phone companies, cable companies, satellite companies are Gatekeepers to the Internet. And so we pay. I'm hoping this is part of the info/techno evolution (like tape decks) and won't continue forever.

The answer lies, in IMHO, with some sort of internet access that isn't dependent on anyone or anything. I live in a rural area. Internet isn't a "given". The way things are going, especially with the explosion of smartphones (ie: relatively cheap computers with internet access) and those creating websites, it shouldn't be long before the Internet is, indeed, a given. It could/should be much like radio and TV (in the days before cable) ... Buy a receiver and you are good to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: kentusmc

kentusmc

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I have tethered without a plan, I have since stopped unless VZW is offering I for free as a promotion. With that said, I feel that bits are bits, and unlimited should also mean that as paying customers we should not be limited on how we use it. I understand the tethering without a plan violates the TOS, I still need to read it over myself, hopefully some day the carriers will change that policy. I own a smartphone because I don't want a phone, gps, and an mp3 player, I look forward to the day that I can do this with services too.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Its like showing up to a restaurant that offers free refills with kegs and telling them to fill them up

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

kentusmc

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
If this is the stance that the carriers are going to take they should call their data plans "no cap data", its not unlimited if they limit how it can be used. Just like using the term 4G it is false advertising.

Last edited:

BlackSand

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I am aware that using wifi tethering when not paying for wifi tethering may technically be considered "stealing" but I do not agree with this at all. This would be analogous to a broadband internet service provider charging its customers for the use of a wireless router or gateway on their network an extra fee and at a higher rate to use the same internet connection. On top of that stock gingerbread actually allows free wifi tethering before carriers modify it for release on their phones.

This is in my opinion similar to if car manufacturers made you sign an agreement to purchase gas at one particular gas companies gas stations, that you could only drive on the roads they specified and that if you drove the car a certain way you would be charged at a higher rate. This paragraph is off the wall but its the closest thing I could come up with at 1:06 am.

kentusmc

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I am aware that using wifi tethering when not paying for wifi tethering may technically be considered "stealing" but I do not agree with this at all. This would be analogous to a broadband internet service provider charging its customers for the use of a wireless router or gateway on their network an extra fee and at a higher rate to use the same internet connection. On top of that stock gingerbread actually allows free wifi tethering before carriers modify it for release on their phones.

This is in my opinion similar to if car manufacturers made you sign an agreement to purchase gas at one particular gas companies gas stations, that you could only drive on the roads they specified and that if you drove the car a certain way you would be charged at a higher rate. This paragraph is off the wall but its the closest thing I could come up with at 1:06 am.

Those are some great points. FYI wireless tethering has been built into unmodified Android since 2.1, I had a Nexus One on AT&T and I used it all the time, they must have hated me!

Reactions: BlackSand

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Charges for tethering internet access stem from the costs of physical installation of towers, etc. Costs of actual data transmission must be miniscule by comparison. So, once the (soon-to-be-outdated) transmission systems are outdated ... maybe the Internet will be universally available to whoever has the right equipment.

Reactions: Chrisy and kentusmc

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I am aware that using wifi tethering when not paying for wifi tethering may technically be considered "stealing" but I do not agree with this at all. This would be analogous to a broadband internet service provider charging its customers for the use of a wireless router or gateway on their network an extra fee and at a higher rate to use the same internet connection. .
they way data gets to your router and the way it reaches your phone is completely different and although you may not realize you are not running unlimited speeds so although it seems like you are unlimited you are infact limited. but again two different forms of technology

On top of that stock gingerbread actually allows free wifi tethering before carriers modify it for release on their phones. .
there is no data to tether with, so charging something that is not available would not make sense

yes this anology is way off,i appreciate the effort but way to many holes in this i dont know where to begin lol

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
If this is the stance that the carriers are going to take they should call their data plans "no cap data", its not unlimited if they limit how it can be used. Just like using the term 4G it is false advertising.

it could only be false advertisment if you buy the phone and get service without signing a contract that states in details all the terms

BlackSand

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Charges for tethering internet access stem from the costs of physical installation of towers, etc. Costs of actual data transmission must be miniscule by comparison. So, once the (soon-to-be-outdated) transmission systems are outdated ... maybe the Internet will be universally available to whoever has the right equipment.

The fact is that tethering does not create any more physical connections (nodes) to the towers themselves. There is still only one ip address assigned to your phone and all other connections through the phone are handled by the phone itself through dhcp. This is the same as using a wireless router at home. Unless you are suggesting that each cell tower does not have the bandwidth to support a lot of people tethering. In which case I would argue tethering is still using the same 3g connection you use to browse (do whatever) on your phone that we pay to have unlimited use of.

BlackSand

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
they way data gets to your router and the way it reaches your phone is completely different and although you may not realize you are not running unlimited speeds so although it seems like you are unlimited you are infact limited. but again two different forms of technology

Not really, data transmission starts with the providers backbone, then goes to the ISP, then gets sent out to ISPs multiplexers, DSLAMS for DSL, Cable cell towers etc. Then data is sent out to be received by the different technologies modems. Cable, dsl or our phones, they are all modems which modulate whatever type of connection.

Im not sure where you get the unlimited speeds point though as that wasnt even in my point.

there is no data to tether with, so charging something that is not available would not make sense

Ok on this I mistakenly wrote free when I meant open as in no authentication required.

yes this anology is way off,i appreciate the effort but way to many holes in this i dont know where to begin lol

It really isnt that far off you just have to think about it.

kentusmc

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
it could only be false advertisment if you buy the phone and get service without signing a contract that states in details all the terms

The terminology used in advertisements implies unlimited, yet it is limited therefore it is false advertising. And there isn't a single true 4G network in the world, that I know of, so once again its false advertising by the carriers. The only carrier that is half way honest about 4G is VZW because the say its 4G like, yet that isn't what is printed on the devices themselves.

kentusmc

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
The fact is that tethering does not create any more physical connections (nodes) to the towers themselves. There is still only one ip address assigned to your phone and all other connections through the phone are handled by the phone itself through dhcp. This is the same as using a wireless router at home. Unless you are suggesting that each cell tower does not have the bandwidth to support a lot of people tethering. In which case I would argue tethering is still using the same 3g connection you use to browse (do whatever) on your phone that we pay to have unlimited use of.

Game, point, match! Sounds like someone is a network admin!

kentusmc

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I must say that some of the post aren't as constructive as others, mine included, but thanks for being able to discuss this issue like adults and not turning it into a flame fest!

Reactions: BlackSand
Status
Not open for further replies.