my sister got a palm pre and now im shaking my head

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
OK so I really thought the palm pre was on par with the Droid, hell android itself. I thought this because of all the videos comparing them. So when my sister got one the other day I thought it was a good choice for her. I played around with it and now I must say that anybody who believes that pile of ---- has never really used a droid. That thing is so much of a downgrade compared to the droid that I don't even know where to start. It feels like it was cheaply made. The screen feels like plastic. It runs slower than a stock droid. The apps are extremely limited.

The only feature that I think is slightly better is the keyboard but then again I rarely use the physical one anymore so it really doesn't matter. But the keys are too small on the pre anyway.

I really think in order for them to have had so many votes when that site had the March madness competition is that palm emailed every palm pre user to vote.

I guess for her simple needs it works for her but there is no competition between that and the droid. I just feel bad for her because she is going to have to use itcfor 2 years. I don't know how she liked it.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Its the + haha. She is on Verizon so I don't think they even sell the old one. Idk about the hotspot thing because I haven't played with a lot but I don't even think she has a need for it.

All I have to say is no wonder palm had to be bought out in order to keep going. I feel like singing "everything yours can do mine can do better" haha

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
name 1 thing that it can do that we cant, except the cards

As a user of both android and webos, the notification system on webos is a bit more elegant and all notifications are unobtrusive, even an incoming call.

In other words, in Webos, you can be browsing a webpage and when an incoming call comes in, you can chose to answer it or not and still be doing what you are doing.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
ya but that still possible just illegally. which does not make any sense what so ever if they can have free wifi hotspots (legally) why can't we

but your point is taken. but if you remove that word "legal" then what do you have? and what IS legal these days? haha

G

GenericMessage

ya but that still possible just illegally. which does not make any sense what so ever if they can have free wifi hotspots (legally) why can't we

but your point is taken. but if you remove that word "legal" then what do you have? and what IS legal these days? haha

It's UI is MUCH nicer!

And now that they're partnered with HP, I might go with one of their slates over a Google tablet 0_o

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
WebOS is on par with android but the hardware isn't there. WebOS is a great mobile platform with a lot of potential so it'll be interesting to see what hp has in store.

davedsone

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Obviously, you have decided to hate it. I used one for almost 8 months, had to switch to android when I went to Tmobile a month ago, but also used one at work for a while (hero). WebOS is polished, highly intuitive, and excels at task switching. The universal search is amazing, and the keyboard makes one-handing possible. I have gotten used to some android features, and certainly it has a very robust Market, but if I had to choose one or the other, I would have to choose the Pre, its easier to use without stopping what you are doing. Web browser is great, multitouch is supported, and generous internal memory are deal sealers, the fact that Verizon has it for $29 bucks is just icing on the cake. Palm has a great device, and they doomed it by going with a Sprint launch and some very weird commercials. There is now a company behind them with focus and desire to expand the thing, and a tablet in the offing. You will see MUCH MUCH MUCH more of WebOS, and its capabilities, very soon.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
One of the biggest things I miss from webos is universal search. From the home screen I can type someones initials and the contact for that person comes up.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Haha DA I wish. I wanted her to get an incredible or an Eris but as you can see, I lost that one haha. I would have love to play with sense.

Here is a better question. Who here would trade their droid for a pre plus?

Not I.

kpageisgreat

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
i thought about using my mom upgrade for the pre + just to use it since i gave her my blackberry and she loves it cause it isnt touchscreen.

VKitty

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
It runs slower than a stock droid.

You need to get her over to AC sister site Pre Central so she can get the overclock patch, with the CPUScaler patch.

There are also alot of other wonderful tips. tweaks and tricks (So my friend keeps telling me)

The Palm Pre[Plus] is underclocked, thats why you need the patches. With the updates the Palm Pre[Plus] Runs equal to the Android phones.

VKitty

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
Idk about the hotspot thing because I haven't played with a lot but I don't even think she has a need for it.

She need to look on her bill online, and see if she has the mobile hotspot. Its FREE all she has to do is add it.

The mobile hotspot makes her Palm Pre[Plus] a hotspot for up to 5 devices.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
One of the biggest things I miss from webos is universal search. From the home screen I can type someones initials and the contact for that person comes up.

It does that with Android

Not if you type someones initials, say I want to bring up the contact for John Smith, on the pre I can just type JS. That doesnt work on my android, have to type of part of the first or last name. I just find it quicker to do it by initials.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress