Woohoo! My Droid is showing an UPDATE available! (FALSE ALARM)

inkmantpa

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Hahaha, wow, such excitement...well, it's only an app update. OS update is not out yet :) But app updates are fun, just not usually Woohoo worthy :)

SharonW

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
Sorry, false alarm guys. I'm very new to the Droid (only 3 days) and any smart phone for that matter. It's just an update to Google Finance app.

SharonW

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone know when it is actually coming?

December 11th or sooner, or so I've read. That's why I got a little whacked there. :D

It should come at the exact time the auto focus on the camera reverts back to not focusing, so we're talking nick of time here.

Before I read about the time code issue in the camera, I had just gotten my Droid on Tuesday and out of the box I checked out the camera. Indoors with flash and not great light I thought it worked phenomenally well. So it would be great if that remains instead of reverting.

mskaplan

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
No, it's true about the camera. You'd have to believe that I'd they have the problem identied the will be able to come up with a first so it doesn't revert.

mskaplan

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
No, it's true about the camera. You'd have to believe that I'd they have the problem identied the will be able to come up with a first so it doesn't revert.

Anddd that was my attempt to type quickly using the portrait virtual keyboard. Still pretty bad. I like the physical keyboard though. Coming from a curve its been hard to go virtual only.

SharonW

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
Sharon why would the camera revert back to having autofocus issues? I assume you are being facetious but it is hard to tell on the web.

Here's the issue:
A rather odd bug in the Droid phone has been mistaken for a secret, silent, over-the-air invasion by Verizon?s software-update police.

When a problem with the Droid?s autofocus mysteriously disappeared overnight, paranoid Droid owners assumed that a secret update had been sent over the air to fix it. This would be rather creepy.

It is also wrong. In a comment on an Engadget story about the mystery fix, Android developer Dan Morrill explained what had happened, and the truth is rather stranger than the fiction.

There?s a rounding-error bug in the camera driver?s autofocus routine (which uses a time stamp) that causes autofocus to behave poorly on a 24.5-day cycle. That is, it?ll work for 24.5 days, then have poor performance for 24.5 days, then work again.

The 17th is the start of a new ?works correctly? cycle, so the devices will be fine for a while. A permanent fix is in the works.

Verizon Accused of Remote-Controlling Droid, But Truth Is Stranger | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

And here's confirmation of a fix coming:
Motorola today confirmed it will soon fix the problems with its Droid phone's camera by releasing an automatic over-the-air update to the handset. The Android handset's 5-megapixel camera has been said to have trouble focusing and producing red corners in images when photos are being taken. The intermittent problem has been blamed on an unusual timing bug where particular states of the clock create problems with the autofocusing system. Users can simply change the date on the phone to resolve the issue, although a permanent fix is apparently due soon.

Recently, leaked documents from Verizon also pointed to a software update that would resolve the Droid camera's focusing problems with an OTA update due for release on December 11th. While Motorola itself hasn't named a date for its update, it's likely to be available on December 11th.

Motorola confirms Droid camera fix coming | Electronista