Randomly deleting all my text messages?

pops.comp

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
Thats happened to me once, in the four months I've owned my droid..I had to force close the stock messaging app (even though I was using handcent) and when I open it up again, all of my messages were gone

Charmed Juan

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
To those who are having this problem,
How many messages are on your phone?
One said he had 3000.

Are all of the people having the problem storing that many texts?

Need to gather some common denominators

CJ

Trusted Member
Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
It's happening to me too

My Motorola Droid has given me the force close error and deleted all of my text msgs 6 times now.

I do not have any 3rd party texting programs installed.
I do not have the "Delete Old Messages" box checked.
It is set to 200 messages per conversation, yet I have had 3,000 in one thread before...

The first time I had about 8 threads, some of them were only 10 msgs, two were 40-50, one was 100-200 and one was about 3,000. I have not changed any default text settings. Then the second time it did it I didn't even have 100 total text on my phone. The 3rd, 4th times I had about 400 total texts and the 5th time was maybe 50 total texts and the 6th time I had 3 threads with maybe 100 texts total.

I had no issues from November until January 31st... but since 1/31 this has been happening a lot and it is very frustrating. I had information in my texts about a job and it is totally gone. I called verizon, I went to verizon stores and they all claimed that they had never heard of this issue. I have been a verizon customer for 12 years and I this is by far the worst problem I have ever had with them. I was one of the defective Glyde owners, but they were willing to fix that and replace the front section of the phone. Even as frustrating as that was that was not as bad as all of my text being delted. I was instructed to email my important text msgs to myself but my phone does not give me an option to email a text msg.

I can access my pics, videos and music from my pc with my droid docked but I can't get to the text msgs that way. With a phone like the Droid I would expect it to be able to handle texts msgs better or at least give us the option to back up our own texts to our pc. I asked for the main tech support when I was talking to customer service, told them I needed the really technical people not just the ones reading a script out of a book. They said ok and sent me to a lady who claimed to have worked in tech support for 10 years and claimed that there was no other tech support beyond her, her supervisor didn't know anything more and they didn't have any tech support for the tech support department. I highly doubt that because they could have at least offered to send a note to the developers if they cared enough. Verizon's highest tier of tech support is not going to be taking phone calls from end users.

This lady was instructing me to power off my phone wait, turn it back on remove battery etc, which I had already done prior to calling and my text were still gone. She claimed she had never heard of this issue and told me all I could do was to reset my phone and reinstall the Droid OS. Then she spent 10 minutes trying to explain how my phone is like a mini computer.... and how things are so technical these days.... yeah I know, that is why I got the Droid. Then she went on to tell me that this wasn't Verizon's fault and it was Motorola's product etc. I don't care who's fault it is, I want this issue fixed! I don't pay $150 a month to put up with this crap.

/rant mode off.....

xocarrie

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
This happened to me again yesterday. This will be the 6th time, with no 3rd party apps installed.

I had about 15 threads. I'd say 10 had about 50-70 messages, and the others had about 100-300. I have my limit set to 300 messages per thread, so none were over that.

I installed SMS Backup & Restore, but this app doesn't do scheduled back ups so the earliest date I could restore it to was 2/21. :mad:

I'm going to try wave secure next, any other suggestions?

pops.comp

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
CJ,

I was just reading your rant post, have you tried checking the "Delete old messages" box, because I believe (and I could be wrong) that no matter what you have for Max Message settings, if you don't have that box checked it will go over the limit anyway

CJ

Trusted Member
Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
CJ,

I was just reading your rant post, have you tried checking the "Delete old messages" box, because I believe (and I could be wrong) that no matter what you have for Max Message settings, if you don't have that box checked it will go over the limit anyway

The Delete old msgs box is NOT checked.... I don't allow anything to auto delete. My phone gives an error, says force close and then all my text are gone.

CJ

Trusted Member
Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
My phone did the force close twice and actually did not delete my texts and I was able to go see the threads listed there. Then as soon as I clicked on one of the threads it deleted them all. So my phone has now deleted all of my texts 8 times now. My phone has never been dropped, hit, sat on, never been near water or excessive heat. It did get lost under the covers one morning but it wasn't kicked or laid on or anything. (Yes apparently I snuggle my droid at night sometimes... When I went to bed that night it was on my nightstand lol) Sometimes I put the phone in my coat pocket, but it is normally in my hand or in my purse when I am walking around or the console of my car when I am driving on sitting next to me on a desk, table, nightstand. The only time I clip it to anything is when I am at the gym and don't have a pocket, but I make sure it won't hit or bump anything and won't fall off. I am very careful with my belongings so this can't be an issue of something I did wrong to my phone.

Last edited:

CJ

Trusted Member
Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
All of my texts have been deleted 12 times now and the last times I have not been anywhere near the texting limit.... so sick of this!

entwined82

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
CJ, use Handcent SMS or ChompSMS.

The default messaging client is really odd, it does this sometimes even if you have very high limits of messages set. Try one of those 2 clients and see if it improves for you.

ericatomars06

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
I have mine set to a limit, 250, then 30 picture messages can save and my older txts will erase... and my 30 pics stay on there but at 31 the oldest one is bumped off. I've never had all of them erase!

sweetmullet

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
had this happen to standard client multiple times, with varying total message counts. never had a force close that i know of. usually i just slide the screen shut and lock the screen after sending or reading. switched to handcent after the 4th or 5th time. it has happened to me with handcent for the 4th time in 3 months. i have been forced to handwrite important information because the droid is a glitchy unreliable "smart phone"

CJ

Trusted Member
Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
My droid force closed in my camera today and froze up and wouldn't turn back on for about 30 minutes. Had to pull the battery out and leave it out and then it finally came back on. Verizon had been telling me to do the restores from home, but I took it in to the store and they did a full restore there. I don't know if this will help or not, but I have had about 90 texts since then and no force close yet, but only time will tell. The manager of the store asked me if I had the Antivirus app installed and I did. He said that app is one that has been known to cause the phones to crash. I didn't mention this to him but now that I think about it I didn't have the force close problem until about a week or two after I installed the Antivirus app. So it might be related or it might not. I am just kind of curious if the others having the same problem also have the Antivirus app installed.

droidowner92

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Mine did this about 2 weeks ago. I wasn't even using texting, i just opened Messaging when i woke up and everything was gone. I thought there might only be a problem with the messages loading, so I shut down and turned it back on. They still didn't come back and that disappointed me. It hasn't happened since then but I didn't know other people had the same problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress