08-03-2018 04:39 PM
100 1234
tools
    My phone did the force close twice and actually did not delete my texts and I was able to go see the threads listed there. Then as soon as I clicked on one of the threads it deleted them all. So my phone has now deleted all of my texts 8 times now. My phone has never been dropped, hit, sat on, never been near water or excessive heat. It did get lost under the covers one morning but it wasn't kicked or laid on or anything. (Yes apparently I snuggle my droid at night sometimes... When I went to bed that night it was on my nightstand lol) Sometimes I put the phone in my coat pocket, but it is normally in my hand or in my purse when I am walking around or the console of my car when I am driving on sitting next to me on a desk, table, nightstand. The only time I clip it to anything is when I am at the gym and don't have a pocket, but I make sure it won't hit or bump anything and won't fall off. I am very careful with my belongings so this can't be an issue of something I did wrong to my phone.
    03-13-2010 11:39 AM
    All of my texts have been deleted 12 times now and the last times I have not been anywhere near the texting limit.... so sick of this!
    03-17-2010 09:15 AM
    CJ, use Handcent SMS or ChompSMS.

The default messaging client is really odd, it does this sometimes even if you have very high limits of messages set. Try one of those 2 clients and see if it improves for you.
    03-17-2010 09:19 AM
    I have mine set to a limit, 250, then 30 picture messages can save and my older txts will erase... and my 30 pics stay on there but at 31 the oldest one is bumped off. I've never had all of them erase!
    03-17-2010 01:14 PM
    just happened to me again. *sigh* this is becoming a weekly thing.
    03-17-2010 07:45 PM
    Try another SMS client like I just suggested. I've had all SMS issues disappear since ditching the default Messaging client.
    03-17-2010 07:46 PM
    had this happen to standard client multiple times, with varying total message counts. never had a force close that i know of. usually i just slide the screen shut and lock the screen after sending or reading. switched to handcent after the 4th or 5th time. it has happened to me with handcent for the 4th time in 3 months. i have been forced to handwrite important information because the droid is a glitchy unreliable "smart phone"
    03-19-2010 06:17 PM
    Now up to 22 times......

Force close and deletes all texts.
    03-26-2010 12:13 PM
    My droid force closed in my camera today and froze up and wouldn't turn back on for about 30 minutes. Had to pull the battery out and leave it out and then it finally came back on. Verizon had been telling me to do the restores from home, but I took it in to the store and they did a full restore there. I don't know if this will help or not, but I have had about 90 texts since then and no force close yet, but only time will tell. The manager of the store asked me if I had the Antivirus app installed and I did. He said that app is one that has been known to cause the phones to crash. I didn't mention this to him but now that I think about it I didn't have the force close problem until about a week or two after I installed the Antivirus app. So it might be related or it might not. I am just kind of curious if the others having the same problem also have the Antivirus app installed.
    03-28-2010 02:00 AM
    Mine did this about 2 weeks ago. I wasn't even using texting, i just opened Messaging when i woke up and everything was gone. I thought there might only be a problem with the messages loading, so I shut down and turned it back on. They still didn't come back and that disappointed me. It hasn't happened since then but I didn't know other people had the same problem.
    03-28-2010 04:22 PM
    Sometimes my SMS app will force close, I'll reopen and it's cleared all my logs. This has happened about 3 times so far. I have my limit set to 1000 sms and only 1 person ever hits that, the rest are just only double digits. The SMS log should be able to handle this without closing.. this is ridiculous.
    03-29-2010 10:29 AM
    yeah this has happened to me as well. Only once though so not that bad, and luckily i didn't have and pertinent info.
    03-31-2010 12:32 PM
    So far my phone has not force closed since this last restore and I did not put the Antivirus app back on it. I don't know if this will fix the problem or not, only time will tell, but it has been 5 days now and no force close, so I am hoping.... I will post if it does it again.
    04-01-2010 10:49 PM
    Ridavid81 is wrong. I have had this happen to me at least 4 times now and also need most of my text messages for work. I have checked the options, raised the limits and DO NOT have delete old text messages checked off.
    04-26-2010 09:52 AM
    I didn't have mine set to delete old txts either. It deleted all of my texts about 26 times I believe was the final count. As I stated above, I let Verizon do a full restore in their store a month ago and then I did not put the Antivirus app back on my phone and it has not given me any problems since then (Knock on wood!) I did install SMS Backup & Restore and every few days I back up my texts encase my phone does that again. But I was told that if my phone force closes again in any application that they will get me a replacement droid. Since being told that my phone has been good. go figure!. lol
    04-26-2010 02:17 PM
    Ever since I installed Handcent this has not been an issue. I have restarted my phone multiple times, had a couple force closes of the app, but have not yet had my texts deleted. It sucks that the stock messaging app is so buggy, but Handcent definitely has solved this issue for me!
    04-26-2010 04:17 PM
    I have had handcent almost from the get-go, and have it set to not delete messages.
    I had sms backup for gmail installed and was sure it was the culprit. my phone cleared out texts twice, and when I checked last backup it was between texts... hmmm.
    so I turned it off.
    lo and behold, a while goes by, and bam, they're all gone again, and now I don't have a back up. A month and a half of texts. gone. This is so frustrating. I don't have anything really important, but I shouldn't have to expect that my phone can't figure out how to manage a fairly simple database...
    On a side note, I have my backup pro, but it sucks at running a weekly backup. The only backup is a manual backup I have from 2 months ago.

So as I understand it this problem happens to peoples phones who:
    have a small limit
    have a large limit
    have no limit
    have handcent
    have no 3rd party text apps at all
    and happens randomly, not when receiving a text?
    Anyone have anything else to that list. I'm trying to sum up all of the issues in one place for clarity.
    04-30-2010 01:16 PM
    Happened to me lastnight. Droid running 2.1 using with no 3rd party text apps. I did turn my phone off lastnight, not sure if that caused it
    05-13-2010 05:33 AM
    crap....started happening to me too... running 2.1
    after each text i get an FC and that single text isn't showing up. I can see a preview of it in the notification bar but it deletes after FC. My previous texts in the threads are all there. I just tried deleteing all threads and tried to receive a single text and its happening again...Going to do factory reset
    05-23-2010 12:39 AM
    All my text messages are all gone as well. Only using the Stock SMS app.

The only thing I can think of is that last night I tried to send an MMS... It got "stuck" and didn't end up sending, so I deleted that message. All was well until today, I got a few messages just fine and then *poof* ALL messages gone. I had a backup from April but all of May and June is gone.
    06-23-2010 01:55 PM
    Mine has been doing this since the first week I got the phone, and that was in mid-January. I'd say it's been happening 2-3 times a month since I first got it. I have very few apps, no 3rd party messaging apps, my settings are on auto-erase...I don't get it. I never even have more than 5-600 texts in my inbox at once. Once it erased my messages after I had deleted all but one thread, which had less than 200 messages in it. I've also encountered the glitch where I click on one thread but another comes up, or I click on "Bob's" thread but it says it's from "Ted" (but the messages inside are the ones to and from "Bob").

The icing on the cake? It's now started deleting my media. Just the other day it deleted all my music (luckily I only had one album and about 15 ringtones),and all my pictures. That's what upsets me the most, because I had pictures on there from the day my daughter was born in March. Needless to say I was livid...I feel like I can't trust my phone with anything important anymore. My coworker just dealt with her Droid deleting her contacts, so it goes to show this phone isn't stopping at just texts.

I feel like I pay WAY too much a month for my phone to be functioning this poorly.
    06-27-2010 01:34 AM
    wow... i've had it delete the texts (had it happen with Handcent once and with ChompSMS once... i've since reverted back to stock Messening and no problems since), but I've never had it delete media or contacts... I'd look at what apps you have, something might have an error in its coding which is causing the deletes...
    06-28-2010 11:31 AM
    My sister, her friend, and I have the moto droid and all have experienced getting our texts deleted. My only guess to what is happening is that the phone runs out of memory (memory as in the RAM of the phone) and delets the texts to keep itself from crashing. Other smart phones have been known to do this for the same reason. But normally I keep on top of closing everything. Even though the phone loves to open up apps all by itself. Especially when turning on my phone. But the thing that probably bothers me most is when an app will not work. I have to keep force closing it. And it will not stop until I uninstall and reinstall the app. This happened with google maps once.
    I'm pretty sure its not me. This is not my first smart phone. So its not like I'm opening up tons of apps without closing them. I try my best to keep about 80mb free on my phone at all times. If anyone knows a solution please help. I've got my task killer working over time right now. Its deleted my texts the past 2 days in a row. Hopefully I can keep it from happening on day three. Lol
    07-07-2010 09:49 AM
    My phone used to delete my messages when I was using Advanced Task Killer (ATK) to kill the messaging app.
    Since then I set ATK to ignore the messaging app and no problems since.
    07-07-2010 12:45 PM
    this doesnt happen to me and 99.9% other droid users. you guys are just doing something wrong.

You probably have the delete old text messages as limits are reached option checked off.
    you are completely misinformed. this has happened to me multiple times and i havent even had the droid for a month. i decided instead of making a big stink about it at verison (will i am now going to do) i would look it up. turns out tons of people are having this happen to them and asking about it all over forums everywhere. so dont start accusing people of doing something wrong and basically calling us stupid without looking for others with this problem.
    07-07-2010 01:17 PM
100 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD