Thinking of Switching to a Droid...

Dalt0n94

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
So I currently have a BlackBerry Storm 2, which I think is an amazing phone. I love pretty much everything about it, except that the browser is sooooo slow. With the newest version of OperaMini, it is bearable, but still super slow.

So I was thinking of switching to a Motorola Droid. I really don't see what's worse about it than my current phone, as I don't use BlackBerry Messenger and I don't really care about speedy email. The screen size also looks amazing compared to the Storm 2. And I've heard that it is way faster than the Storm 2 in general, not just the browser.

I have a couple questions though.

Are there themes available for the Moto Droid? I have a couple on my Storm 2 that are just amazing.

Also, how are the apps on the Moto Droid? There are hardly any for the Storm 2, but the ones I use are really good, ie QuickLaunch, StormSlider, etc.

The Storm 3 is supposed to be coming out soon, which will be tons faster than the Storm 2 and have a better browser and Flash. But idk if I can wait for that.

So should I switch to the Motorola Droid, wait till the Nexus One comes out for Verizon (this phone looks awesome as well), or wait till the Storm 3 comes out and then make my decision?

Thanks for the help.

cruiz1022

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I did this switch a week ago. The main thing I miss about my Blackberry Storm 2 has been the BBM. But web browser and the amount of apps is GREATER in the Droid. The touch keyboard is pretty much on par with the iPhones... and I find myself using the slide out keyboard a lot more often then I thought I would. I would completely recommend the Droid. I don't think you'll miss the Storm 2

YoungChrisG

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Well as far as the theme's there's no way to "theme" the phone without a Home replacement app. That being said, with the amount of customizing that can be done with the Android platform I rarely use the themes. The UI is simply leaps and bounds over the Blackberry (weather it's a "Google Experience" [Droid] or HTC's Sense UI [Eris]).
As far as changing phones is concerned I feel that with the Droid I won't have to change phones again untill the 4G LTE network is rolled out in it's entirety in the next few years.
If QuickLaunch and StormSlider are your examples of great apps then you'll LOVE Android lol and you'll also love the fact you don't have to battery pull every time you try an app and uninstall it because you don't like it. Also, 15 apps wont slow your phone down to near unusable speeds. I have over 40 apps on my phone and my list continues to grow.

YoungChrisG

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
I did this switch a week ago. The main thing I miss about my Blackberry Storm 2 has been the BBM. But web browser and the amount of apps is GREATER in the Droid. The touch keyboard is pretty much on par with the iPhones... and I find myself using the slide out keyboard a lot more often then I thought I would. I would completely recommend the Droid. I don't think you'll miss the Storm 2

I don't know about that but I think it's a lil better than the Storm's lol ;)

xPutridImp

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
The browser is extremely fast, even without good 3G coverage. I find it Operamini for android not needed. I had a blackberry before this Droid and there is no comparison as far as your concerns. I had 2 apps on bb that I couldn't find in market, Poynt and Viigo. But Google has come out with a near me thing which easily replaced poynt. I bought an app that replaced viigo, that was FeedR. Does a great job.

I highly suggest you get a Droid. Since I got mine its like blackberries are a dying breed. Nothing RIM makes can compete with the Droid.

As far as themes go, I know there is no problem getting wallpapers. To me the original theme is so visually pleasing that I haven't even looked to see if they have themes.

Good luck.

Dalt0n94

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Wow thanks for the quick replies lol. YoungChrisG, you mentioned customizing on the Android platform, is this similar to themeing?

jhamilton3#CB

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
I had a Storm 2.. the browser was definitely not slow, and the keyboard was actually very improved.

But what did stink about it was the lack of customization.

That is where Android and the Droid comes in. You can't get bored with a Droid because there is so many things to do with it.

As far as any of these devices being on par with the iPhones keyboard/touchscreen... thats complete nonsense.. the Droid and S2 are both good but not on the iPhone's level at all.

Dalt0n94

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
And if I was to go about switching to the Droid, should I sell my Storm 2 and go into Verizon and do the switch (would that even work; switching without my original phone?) or should I try to trade with someone online. I just googled "Trade Storm 2 for Droid" and i got about 10 that were posted in the lasted week or two. Would this mess up my plan at all if I just straight-up traded phones?

YoungChrisG

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Trading phones with someone straight up wouldn't mess with your plan although you would forfiet your warenty and insurance. Also I would be carefull with internet sites and phone trading unless you can meet the person face to face. How long have you had the S2?

Personalizing your Droid is less themeing and more modifying. If you don't like the stock SMS app on the phone you can turn it off and download one from the market to replace it. Same with your home screen, your phone dialer ect.

With home replacement apps you can download, there are several options each with it's own perks and downsides, and most of them support themes created and downloaded from the market.

The other thing that Android has that BB doesn't is Widgets. Think of it as your Weather Bug slot on a Blackberry theme where you see the weather change. Only you can have weather, music, rss feeds, battery stats, and the list goes on. Check out the thread for "Post your screen" to get an idea.

Dalt0n94

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Trading phones with someone straight up wouldn't mess with your plan although you would forfiet your warenty and insurance. Also I would be carefull with internet sites and phone trading unless you can meet the person face to face. How long have you had the S2?

Personalizing your Droid is less themeing and more modifying. If you don't like the stock SMS app on the phone you can turn it off and download one from the market to replace it. Same with your home screen, your phone dialer ect.

With home replacement apps you can download, there are several options each with it's own perks and downsides, and most of them support themes created and downloaded from the market.

The other thing that Android has that BB doesn't is Widgets. Think of it as your Weather Bug slot on a Blackberry theme where you see the weather change. Only you can have weather, music, rss feeds, battery stats, and the list goes on. Check out the thread for "Post your screen" to get an idea.

Ohhh ok, got it with the personalizing, thanks.

I've had my Storm 2 since November 10th or 11th, so a little over 2 months now. It's been in PhantomSkinz and CaseMate Barely There case the whole time, so it's in brand new condition basically. Never even been dropped.

If I did it in the store would I have to pay a cancellation fee or something, and then a whole 'nother fee for the Droid? Because that could end up being a lot of money.

Also, if I traded with somebody, would I have to change my plan at all? I have unlimited everything besides minutes, but it is a Blackberry Data Plan.

YoungChrisG

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
I had a Storm 2.. the browser was definitely not slow, and the keyboard was actually very improved.

But what did stink about it was the lack of customization.

That is where Android and the Droid comes in. You can't get bored with a Droid because there is so many things to do with it.

As far as any of these devices being on par with the iPhones keyboard/touchscreen... thats complete nonsense.. the Droid and S2 are both good but not on the iPhone's level at all.

And when you do there's always rooting and enjoying the fruit of the Android Open Source Project ;)

And (sadly) I couldn't agree more about the iPhone keyboard. Bar none!

YoungChrisG

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Ohhh ok, got it with the personalizing, thanks.

I've had my Storm 2 since November 10th or 11th, so a little over 2 months now. It's been in PhantomSkinz and CaseMate Barely There case the whole time, so it's in brand new condition basically. Never even been dropped.

If I did it in the store would I have to pay a cancellation fee or something, and then a whole 'nother fee for the Droid? Because that could end up being a lot of money.

Also, if I traded with somebody, would I have to change my plan at all? I have unlimited everything besides minutes, but it is a Blackberry Data Plan.

Ok I was going to say that if you've had it less than thirty days you could trade it for a $30 restocking fee, but that's a no go.

There wouldn't be a cancelation fee but you'll probably have to pay retail for the Droid. You wouldn't have to change your plan because the "Blackberry" data package is the same one used for the Droid.

Dalt0n94

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Ok I was going to say that if you've had it less than thirty days you could trade it for a $30 restocking fee, but that's a no go.

There wouldn't be a cancelation fee but you'll probably have to pay retail for the Droid. You wouldn't have to change your plan because the "Blackberry" data package is the same one used for the Droid.

Seriously? Oh that's awesome. Ok... So if I paid retail for the Droid, I would get to keep my Storm 2 right? They wouldn't make me trade it in? So I could sell the Storm 2 to have fast money for the Droid, or keep it and have two phones?

jhnnyblze2000

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
If you pay retail for the droid the storm is yours to do with whatever u want. I think once u have the droid and use it u won't want to keep the storm cause ull love the droid lol and there will be no need for the storm...IMHO.

YoungChrisG

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Seriously? Oh that's awesome. Ok... So if I paid retail for the Droid, I would get to keep my Storm 2 right? They wouldn't make me trade it in? So I could sell the Storm 2 to have fast money for the Droid, or keep it and have two phones?

Yep that's what's up....and to be honest....if I had a Storm 2 and the money to pay retail for the Droid, I would definately keep my S2. That's a great backup for sure!

Also, if you have the money to pay retail that would be your best bet simply for the waranty and the insurance purposes. It would really suck to drop that baby in the toilet and have to spend another few hundred on another phone lol.

varucell

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
I sold my storm 2 on ebay and went out and bought full retail droid. I did that this week. I never will have a blackberry again. Love android!

cruiz1022

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I don't know I guess i find myself typing fast on the droid touch keyboard then. I had an iPhone in the past. and I find myself typing just as fast with the droid lol.

Dalt0n94

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
The month to month price unfortunatly.

Ugh, might have to sell my Storm 2 then lol. I was really thinking about trading with somebody, but I think it'll just be better to buy one legit. It's probably gonna be like a month before I'll have the money for it. I'll report back here when I have it :D. Thanks for the help guys :D.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa