Droid using more power than normal in Idle

Jetster220

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
Ive noticed lately that my phone is using more battery when its just sitting idle in my pocket with Airplane mode enabled. Before it would go over 8hrs and not go below 100% batter left while it sat idle in airplane mode, but now it is dropping to 80% by the time I leave work. Is my battery suddenly getting weaker, or is the phone actually using more power for some reason at idle?

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Are you still stock or have you overclocked your phone. if not then your battery could be getting weaker. what do you leave open

Jetster220

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
Its still stock. The only things that show open in running services are Android Keyboard, Bloo Notifcations, and Gtalk, but those have always been in there for the past couple months before this started. It seems I guess maybe my battery already is weakening, if so then damn, it didnt hold up to long.

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm not following you. First off, why are you in airplane mode? Secondly, If you ARE in airplane mode, then why do you have some messaging services open?

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Your battery shouldn't be going bad this early even if you bought it at launch unless you got a lemon. And like the post above why do you have messaging apps running in airplane mode since you can't use them?

Jetster220

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
First off I have it in airplane mode because I dont get reception at work so I put it in airplane so its not searching for signal all day. As for the messaging service, its not really running I dont think, it doesnt show up under battery use as using any power, I think its just sitting dormant in the background.

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
OK, that makes sense. Are you somehow turning on wifi or bluetooth? did you recently change your screen brightness or mess with the screen timeout? have you installed any widgets that may be doing a bunch of updates?

Jetster220

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
Nope, wifi and bluetooth are off, screen brightness hasnt changed, and even so the battery is dropping while the screen is off and its in my pockett. And havnt installed any new widgets.

stingray389

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Do you have any apps that require location based services which are active on your phone? For example, I have weather bug on my phone and have it set to follow my location, requiring the GPS to activate every now and then. I put the phone in airplane mode when I go to the gym due to poor reception, but I noticed that GPS still searches for the phones location. The problem is, with the phone being in airplane mode, the gps won't work. The battery tends to drain quickly with the gps in a constant search mode. Shut down the gps when you go into airplane mode.

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Do you have any task managers? I used to use advanced task manager and on occasion I would notice this as well. I, too, wondered why my battery was being used more by "idle" than anything else. I uninstalled the task manager and I haven't noticed it since. Could just be my experience, but maybe worth a try if you have one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa