Droid Icon slowdown 2.1 with helix launcher

kpurdu1

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
After upgrading to 2.1

I started using Live wallpapers and helix launcher w/ 5 screens turned on, although I've only got 4 screens in use.

Since then i've noticed that when I come out of an app to the home screen about 60% of the time everything is fine and about 40% of the time it can take 5-15 seconds for my icons/widgets to load.

Anyone else experience this? I'm guessing I've just got too much running?

It still happens after turning off live wallpapers so I'm wondering if this is a helix launcher 5 screen issue.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I do get a little delay but not as much as your getting mine might be up to 3 seconds at the most. I'm running CyanogenMod 5.0.5.4

Dapke36

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Sometimes I get this, but definitely not that much delay or occurring that much (i'm at 40%).

To accelerate it, turn off the screen and turn it back on (unlock it). Your icons should be all reappeared.

I am also running CM 5.0.5.4 with Smoked Glass-esque theme.

kpurdu1

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I'll try the turn off screen/turn on screen trick next time it happens and see if that helps.

I also typically have 27-43 MB of Available memory showing on my droid, i'm guessing that's typical for most people. I've even tried task killing everything I don't need running using advanced task killer (which I try to avoid using normally) and I still have the problem.

I wasn't looking to root but maybe I'll consider it to try cyanogen. I'm sure it would be ok but I'm a bit paranoid as I really can't afford to brick my phone/void my warranty.

Last edited:

kpurdu1

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Just an FYI,

I have not confirmed this as the solution but:

So far no more issues after I removed advanced task killer, astrid and that 2D lag test app. I've put in 2 hours of heavy use.

My guess is that it was advanced task killer but since I deleted them all at the same time no way to know.

Last edited:

thisiscrazy

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have the same issue. I did go back to the original home screen and removed all the widgets. I hope this helps. If anyone else has a solution let me know.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
I had this problem as well with Helix Launcher. I would hit home and it would take sometimes 10 seconds for my icons to show up. I turned off Helix Launcher ad now everything is fine...

Hoping Helix releases an update for 2.1 soon.

Dapke36

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
ATK isn't the issue, because I don't have a task killer on my phone.

Well, to be specific, ATK isn't the issue for me. It might affect others differently.

kpurdu1

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
update

Just wanted to post one last status on this, still going very well absolutely zero slowdown issues since removing those three apps, plus I threw on 5 more widgets and 4 more icons to fill up all 5 home screens I have. Working very smooth. I have to think it was somehow related to one of those apps.

mjp81

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
I actually had this problem with Helix, if the problem WAS Helix, before I upgraded to 2.1, and the problem also happened when I used the regular home launcher. So I uninstalled Helix and it still happened. Then I did a reboot to see if that helped and I'm not sure if it has.

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
this is an issue with the helix launcher code and the fact that it is not the base launcher. Imagine helix launcher as simply an app that you continually open up to get to other apps while including large amounts of customization. All that bogs down the phone. Plus widgets are much more data heavy than app icons (shortcuts), so the need more CPU to load up. So if you're like me and have 7 homescreens and 22+ widgets. this is a common problem.
1) helix launcher needs to be optimized a little more. Mainly because the dev has priority focus on helix2 which is more responsive in other asspects, but its CPU heavy, so its still laggy. The dev needs to just put some good energy into refining Helix1, i dont want/like the 3D launcher (its that stupid bounce feature like HTC).
2) Helix needs to be incorporated in a way that it fully replaces the base home launcher. This is only doable on a custom ROM, so i'd love for Adam Z to include this as a full replacement and not just a secondary launcher in his next Smoked Glass ROM. SG is the best ROM by the way, mainly because its Adam Z and not Koush. (i have an issue with a dev charging $4 for an app that lets you use other dev's work). He's made upward or $10,000+ for ROM Manager.

Last edited:

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Ahhh I can't use Helix (1 or 2) for more than a day because the icon slowdowns annoy the heck out of me! I'm almost afraid to hit the home button when it's activated lol. I'm just waiting for a Market update, maybe it'll be fixed.

fludkilla

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
I think helix is awesome, but there are some bugs that get annoying like the facebook app turns black when the app drawer is pulled out. Sometimes when you press home I go to an incall screen like im on the phone when im really not. But those things are huge so therefore helix is awesome and I think this is how the stock screen should look. 3-D app drawer?

mrwashy#AC

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I've got mine rooted and oc'd (800Mhz) and had terrible issues with icons disappearing from Helix and Helix2 until I removed my Twitter widget. Once that was removed it was incredibly smooth! I still get occasional hiccups with Beautiful Smaller Home but those tend to be rare and the widget appears within 2-3 sec.

dagostin

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
the launcher uses up a certain amount of RAM or memory.... the droid keeps it in memory as long as it can depending on if other applications of higher priority are requesting memory... so u will get varying results and when it's slow it is because it is no longer in memory and has to reload it all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress