Pay for WiFi hotspot or root?..that is the question

pfgme2012

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I am new to rooting. I consider myself computer savvy but this is my first smart phone. I have Ntelos and pay for the Wifi hotspot feature. I heard that if I root my phone, I can make my phone into a Wifi hotspot...without paying Ntelos an extra $20 bucks each month ($40 becuase i have 2 phones on the account). Is this correct? If so, how is it done? Has anyone else had success with Ntelos and HTC Desire phone regarding this issue?

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Here is what I can tell you. You can use the desire as a hotspot. If you google it you will find out the trials and tribulations of getting it to work. Without doing much research, I will say that I can believe that it requires rooting and using the wifi tether hotspot apk from google.

One thing that I did not come across is how well it will play with your provider or what settings you will need. A little research should provide you with those answers

Here is the APK to get you started sorta...you still need root: http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/downloads/detail?name=wifi_tether_v3_1-beta14.apk