Nethunter Curious

James_Wood

Apr 23, 2018
Visit site
Hello All..

For all intense and purpose, I joined here because I couldn't locate any reviews for Nethunter on the Samsung S6. I thought I may have found one write-up in the past, however, maybe not.

Well, my goal was to get Nethunter installed on a OnePlus One phone for Pen Testing. Had some problems with the past two OnePlus One phones (one was damaged, the other had a broken digitizer) before I could even try Nethunter.

I noticed there is a ROM for the Samsung S6 now, and I also noticed those phones can be considerably less to purchase than a OnePlus One. Thing is, I don't know if the 802.11 chipset supports injection - necessary for 802.11 security auditing, etc.. Can anyone comment from knowledge or experience?

Aside from that, I notice RAM is important when taking video, etc.. My OnePlus One could do ~25min of video w/3GB RAM, whereas this temporary LG model with 1GB ram can't even do 3min.

Looking forward to hearing comments on Nethunter.

J.W.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I've never used Nethunter (I wasn't involved in Pen testing, even though I was involved with networking), but as far as RAM is concerned, most video recording is done to storage, not to RAM (the typical 90 minute movie would need enough RAM in the camera to hold almost 4 days of video), so the amount of RAM isn't too relevant. You can record hours of video with enough RAM to hold 2 frames (1/30th of a second). But a lot of video recording apps limit the amount of time so that you don't complain that recording a video filled your entire 256GB SD card. (People do expect to record an hour of video and not have any impact on their free storage - probably 90% of people using cellphones have no idea how they work.)

But have you tried https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/general/kali-nethunter-android-device-t3596625? It appears to be an Android compile of Nethunter, and the thread appears to be pretty well attended. Or you could just go to https://github.com/offensive-security/kali-nethunter for the project itself.

James_Wood

Apr 23, 2018
Visit site
Alright, so I forgot that I will have an issue with the 802.11 NIC in any phone, for injection. This is why I had purchased a micro USB NIC that does support injection. Guess now it's all about hearing or seeing how well the Samsung Nethunter ROM actually works.

I had uncovered the developer forum the other day, however, I didn't do any heavy digging through the forum. Github's site I hadn't investigated, so I may do that tonight. Thanks for the suggestion to do so.

You were spot on with the video recording being locked down; in my case post investigation the default was set to 3min. The phone has options for 3, 10, or NONE. Guess I'll have to try out the 'unset' to see how much space that eats up in an hour. My guess is ~1.5GB based on 70Mb in 3min.

All for now. If there are any relevant updates to pass on I'll keep the thread updated.

JW

Last edited:

James_Wood

Apr 23, 2018
Visit site
Alright.. Looks like due to some rather shady customer service caught video at Best Buy, I managed to work a deal for an ASUS ZC520TL (They didn't want this service up on Linked In).

So, unsure if NetHunter 'will' install/run on this model, however, I did notice on another site that a custom ROM has been built for the ZC551KL. I'll have to post a few questions to that developer over there; if the 'generic' NetHunter version I see discussed around the Net fails to meet installation/performance metrics..

Anyway.. Phone should arrive next wk via Canada Post. That said, the Best Buy store even screwed my shipping/street address up (after using a business card for the data), so I can only hope CP knows via the correct postal code, to ship it to the correct Post Office. LOL!

Now, gut says I'll probably keep this for a Temp/Perm phone irregardless, so I placed my orders for a case & glass via Ebay.

Will now see if there are any specific forums here on A/C discussing this model - i/e: Pro's & Cons, features, etc..

Cheers!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress