Rooting...

Will you root the N4?

• Total voters

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
So I got my phone today and haven't yet figured out if its worth rooting to me. I used to think rooting was necessary since I enjoy being able to take screenshots or activating WiFi tether. But now I'm not so sure its quite a necessity.

Do you find it important to root and if so for what reasons?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I unlocked and rooted pretty much right out of the box. First reason was to be able to use Titanium Backup to restore all my apps and game data from my Galaxy Nexus. Next I removed Chrome and installed the AOSP browser because it's much better, and required root to manipulate a few system files so that it syncs your bookmarks.

I'm sure I'll get to flashing either AOKP or CM10 when they are available, but for now I am really liking stock 4.2, just needed root for those few things without question.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Saiga

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
With the help of 2Def's guide, I unlocked and rooted within the first hour of unboxing my Nexus 4. I was rooted before I got around to taking the pieces of plastic off. lol

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I won't root/flash mine, I have no reason to.

- I only ever flashed roms on previous phones to install an AOSP/AOKP rom
- Only times I used Titanium Backup and other root-only apps was when I was flashing from rom to rom
- I have no reason to flash a rom on the Nexus 4, therefore no requirement for root-only apps

I kept my Nexus 7 stock, planning on keeping my Nexus 4 stock.

howarmat

Trusted Member
Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
unlocked rooted and installed CWM right away after the OTA. I would atleast unlock now before you get it loaded with stuff cause that all goes bye bye

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Is the process similar to the Galaxy Nexus where you had to unlock the bootloader first?
Also would this void the warranty?

Same method, there's no "exploit" required to unlock and root a Nexus.

It technically does void your warranty, depending who you ask, but you can always re-lock the bootloader.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Is the process similar to the Galaxy Nexus where you had to unlock the bootloader first?
Also would this void the warranty?

Pretty much identical.

I also address the warranty question in the FAQ part of my guide.. Give it a look :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

djmobil2

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I unlocked and rooted right out of the box. Used the Nexus 4 Toolkit v 1.1 and it works perfect! Now looking on how to install wifi calling and wifi hotspot for T-Mobile without having to pay T-Mo extra bucks.

donec

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Same method, there's no "exploit" required to unlock and root a Nexus.

It technically does void your warranty, depending who you ask, but you can always re-lock the bootloader.
No one knows less about rooting than me. With that said what do you mean "there's no "exploit" required to unlock and root a Nexus"?

If rooting voids your warranty (as determined by Google or LG) what does it matter if you can "re-lock the bootloader"?

Do you have any idea of why some say rooting voids the warranty and others say rooting does not void the warranty?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
No one knows less about rooting than me. With that said what do you mean "there's no "exploit" required to unlock and root a Nexus"?

If rooting voids your warranty (as determined by Google or LG) what does it matter if you can "re-lock the bootloader"?

Do you have any idea of why some say rooting voids the warranty and others say rooting does not void the warranty?

Again.. The warranty question is addressed in the FAQ in my Unlock & Root guide (stickied here). In a nutshell, it makes your warranty voidable, not voided. LG or Google can choose to not honor it if your damage was caused by your hacking. Generally for hardware issues you won't have a problem getting warranty service, especially if you restore the factory images before sending it in, which I also have a guide on how to do :)

After a factory image restore and locking the bootloader no one would ever know you rooted anyway.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

donec

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
To 2defmouze,
Again..? I appoligize if by asking a question you have answered so many times it makes you frustrated.
I hate the idea of having a forum "Advisor" being tick with me, but to be honest you did not have to resond to my question. If you were upset that I ask a question that had the answer many times somewhere else. You could have just thought dummy find your own answer and ignored the question.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
To 2defmouze,
Again..? I appoligize if by asking a question you have answered so many times it makes you frustrated.
I hate the idea of having a forum "Advisor" being tick with me, but to be honest you did not have to resond to my question. If you were upset that I ask a question that had the answer many times somewhere else. You could have just thought dummy find your own answer and ignored the question.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.. I promise I did not at all mean that in a nasty way, lol, just that earlier I thought I mentioned that you can check my unlock guide for an answer. We're all friends here and I only want to help and supply you with good resources, reliable info, and a helping hand when you need it.
:)

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for the misunderstanding.. I promise I did not at all mean that in a nasty way, lol, just that earlier I thought I mentioned that you can check my unlock guide for an answer. We're all friends here and I only want to help and supply you with good resources, reliable info, and a helping hand when you need it.
:)

root or go home.

JK i swear /inciting root-noroot riot :)

Freshly_Snipes

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I just seem to find rooting redundant when you're going to flash an AOSP ROM anyway...Also you lose Google Wallet functionality. I could see if this was not an AOSP device. Line if it had Sense I could totally understand rooting. But it had all the features the devs will use anyway and there's no reason to OC because the phone already flies.

Only reason I could see is if you want to ruin status bar themes and over clock which is not my forte anymore. I can't go back to flashing a different ROM with bugs all in it and a not working list.

Just wait until development stables out and then decide what to do. The features I these ROM's are nothing that you'll be missing out find necessary.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Pre-dawn raid

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
^^Snipes, rooting does not break Google Wallet. I have it up and running on my rooted N4.

I unlocked and rooted right away. I haven't permanently flashed a recovery yet though as I'll stick with stock for awhile. Only thing I've done so far is download Rom Toolbox Pro and used that to block some ads and change the system level font to one of my liking.

promanex

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I rooted it the same evening I got it. I like knowing that if I need to do a backup of my apps etc I can without issue using titanium. I also use the colour settings app to take the yellow tinge off the screen and that requires root.