Can anyone tell me why I cant flash custom recovery on 4.3???

cjshino

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
So i download the latest twrp img and put the file in my sdk platform tools folder. I go into fastboot and run cmd and type fastboot flash recovery twrp.img and I get an error. I have looked it up and I think im the only person with this problem...

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Not sure why that would be happening if your bootloader is unlocked and you have the proper TWRP recovery image for the Nexus 4.

Another idea off the top of my head..

I believe Goo Manager from the Play Store has the option under one of the menus to Install OpenRecovery Script. Maybe that is worth a shot, basically the equivalent of ROM Manager installing your Custom Recovery.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Also without posting the exact error, screenshot preferably, it's pretty impossible for anyone to figure out what's wrong, lol. :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Interesting enough, I had the exact same problem. I could download twrp and even cmw but when I tried to open file or send it to my phone using adb I kept getting file corrupted message, could not complete operation on windows. I tried to figure it out all day, then was able to install twrp and SU using a toolkit. Weird thing is when I looked in the toolkit files its the same twrp IMG file I was trying to download directly from the twrp site.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Interesting enough, I had the exact same problem. I could download twrp and even cmw but when I tried to open file or send it to my phone using adb I kept getting file corrupted message, could not complete operation on windows. I tried to figure it out all day, then was able to install twrp and SU using a toolkit. Weird thing is when I looked in the toolkit files its the same twrp IMG file I was trying to download directly from the twrp site.

You shouldn't be able to open a recovery.img on you computer, and you flash it with fastboot, not adb. Hence the issue.. :)

indestructibleguy

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
You shouldn't be able to open a recovery.img on you computer, and you flash it with fastboot, not adb. Hence the issue.. :)

same problem. Nexus 4, 4.3, OEM is unlocked. tried
Code:
fastboot boot recovery recoveryname.img
as well as
Code:
 fastboot flash recovery recoveryname.img
nothing seems to work. i'm in ubuntu, so any toolkit.exe is out of question. (wine doesnt want to run NET2.0 exe's). rebooting to recovery after flashing CWM recovery 6.0.2.3, it boots to the 'No Command" to which holding power and pressing vol. up bring the stock recovery. wiped cache in the stock recovery, rebooted to phone, and back to recovery, same thing. downloaded newest CWM recovery (6.0.3.6), flash it, just like before it claims everything is ok (writes the recovery faster than usual both times, less than 4 secs) go to reboot to recovery, and this time it gets stuck on the google loading screen with only the white word "Google" center screen, and a slightly unlocked white padlock on the bottom center. requires a battery pull to reboot, since neither fastboot nor adb recognize it like that. thats all the info I got so far. any clues?

Garymeister

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I had this EXACT same problem today, you're not alone. I can boot up the phone fine, just that any recovery I flash via fastboot, it does not stick even though it says OKAY.

Garymeister

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Apparently, according to efrant, there are two files that OTA leaves which tell it flash stock recovery and gets rid of root; if you can find those then delete them. Try booting into recovery from boot loader menu right after you fastboot. Don't go into system right away. If custom recovery shows then flash SuperSU.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress