Not liking the Nexus 5X because of lag

folarino

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I've had the 5X for almost 2 weeks and my biggest disappointment is with the LAG. Not just in snapchat, but throughout the phone. I will intermittently experience terrible lag using the camera app, in facebook, going to Google Now screen, trying to return to the home page, etc.
It doesn't happen all the time but it happens enough for it to be a problem.

In contrast, I also have the HTC A9 and I am yet to experience lagging in the 1 week I've used it. Super smooth throughout the UI.

Are any of you guys experiencing lag? Is this a problem with my unit?

JackInTheDust

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm not seeing any lagging here. I hasten to add, however, that I use neither snap chat (I'm far too old and out of touch) or Facebook (never could like Facebook). I use my phone for email, reading the new York Times, messaging, a few games, scanning, reading the tech press, and taking a few photos now and then. I have occasionally seen some annoying sloth when the camera app is processing an hdr shot, but that's not UI lag as much as it is the camera taking the time it needs to do what it needs to do. Whenever I press the home button, the phone responds instantly. Same with Google now. App switching is smooth. On the other hand, I should also note that when my phone is running warm geek bench gives a score that is only half as high as when the phone is cool (single processor score in the 600s, as opposed to the 1200s). I take Geek bench at its word, but I've never noticed that my phone is running half as fast as usual.

roop27

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I've had a similar experience but coming from a samsung I'm pretty used to it. Ive only noticed it in snapchat however. Maybe wait for an update for the apps to optimise to marshmallow

Posted via the Android Central App

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
As soon as I installed Facebook I saw random lag. I uninstalled it and am using the mobile site. No issues.

scgf

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
May I suggest installing Tinfoil for Facebook, Tinfoil insulates you from prying eyes and is an enhanced wrapper for the mobile web version of Facebook. I installed it on my Android devices a long time ago and have never looked back. No lag and has swipe left and right features too.

Titan206

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I own both the 6P and the 5X, and both experience lag with certain applications. For me, Facebook and Amazon are the worst. I'm not sure it's possible to eliminate 100 percent of the lag on Android phones.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm not getting any lag on my Nexus 5X. Maybe you have a particular app taking up a lot of processing power or memory. I would look at your memory and battery usage to see what might be hogging the phones hardware.

Pre-dawn raid

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
Seeing most lag when using the camera app. For instance, pressing the shutter button and then having multiple seconds go by before anything happens.

folarino

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm not getting any lag on my Nexus 5X. Maybe you have a particular app taking up a lot of processing power or memory. I would look at your memory and battery usage to see what might be hogging the phones hardware.

I have the exact same apps on an HTC A9 with zero lag.

pedrosalas7

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
Snapchat gets pretty bad on my 5X, lots of lag, specially then opening the app and loading when i have a lot of stories, other than that this phone is gold.

sarah247

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
i am experiencing it a lot and that why using a Android cleaner app for this. It help me to keep the ram clean and makes thed vice run smooth. BTW its the only ad free app i got on play store

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I'm not pushing my 5X enough, but lag has been infrequent and the exception not the rule. No cache cleaning required. That being said YMMV. I hover around 88-95% RAM usage most days. I'm a light/moderate user. So I can see how some might run into latency issues.

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I have found that my 5x gets bogged down and requires a restart to clear things out more often than my 5 ever did. Of course, not sure if that's Marshmallow or something specific with the 5x. So, if the LAG! comes on after a while and is cleared up for a bit with a restart, then I am experiencing what the OP is experiencing. On the other hand, if it is always and immediate after restarting, then no, I have not experienced this at all.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I just ordered one and plan on returning my 6P to test out the 5X for awhile. Google also extended holiday returns until the middle of January, so I will have some good time to play with the 5X. I like the 6P, but it still is quite large, and for my usage, I'd prefer the smaller phone and then get the Pixel C if and when it ever comes out.

But at the $349 price, I was all in with Nexus Protect, a USB C to A cable, and a case for $464 after tax. I figure it's worth a shot.

farb12

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
All this lag talk on the 5x has me worried. Just bought one for my son because he is constantly complaining about his galaxy s6 lags and has terrible battery life.

TheDroidKid

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Honestly I think its just the social media apps. Snapchat is just not usable on my nexus 5. I think it has to do with some sort of API for the camera because after i open snapchat it messed up my camera app as well. I really love the nexus 5x and everything about it but this lagg is killing me. It has to be facebook and snapchat.

Going to try removing snapchat for the weekend. Also the Microsoft exchange bug is driving me nuts in gmail

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Snapchat is just awful on my 5X. Almost unusable. And I don't understand it because every other app flies, and Snapchat worked fine on my last phone (an S5).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non