Google Nexus 6P Having battery issues: read me!

ryanparedez

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I was having poor battery performance and I figured out why.

I had this app called light flowy or flowy light (can't remember right now). Even though the app was not activated it kept waking up my scree and destroying my battery.

If you have that, turn it off and delete it. The devs have filed a bug with Google as their app performs poorly with ambient display.

Also, I have relay for reddit, an app that when you get a notification and don't answer it, keeps pinging the phone. I changed those settings and my battery is freaking kick ***!

Hope this helps for some of you.

Note: neither of those two apps showed up in any battery log it just said the screen was the issue.

ryanparedez

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: Having battery issues: read me!

I didn't use an app.. I was browsing the 6p subreddit and noticed someone posted about that light flowy app and how the dev reported a bug with Google because it was messing with the ambient display. I uninstalled it and boom, instant fix.

I was getting so frustrated because no app was giving me any indication of what was happening.

redhawk24

May 17, 2011
Visit site

Why the need for LightFlow (assuming that's what you mean) and ambient display? The way I see it, you only need to use the notification LED OR Ambient Display, not both.

ryanparedez

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site

I read about it being a cool app. You can change the color and pulse duration for specific apps. I wanted to check it out.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

I read about it being a cool app. You can change the color and pulse duration for specific apps. I wanted to check it out.

It is a cool app, too bad about that bug. Hopefully the dev can patch it soon. I used light flow on my galaxy nexus I was thinking about using it on the 6p

Posted via the Android Central App

redhawk24

May 17, 2011
Visit site

I know what it is, I use it currently on my Note 4, and am planning on using it on the 6P due to the reports of the inconsistency of Ambient Display. My point was both LightFlow and Ambient Display serve to deliver notifications and allow you to tell at a glance what app they are from, so you know if you need to respond immediately or check it when it's convenient. So, having both enabled, IMO, is kind of redundant.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

What screen on time do you get???
I am at 53% remaining and have 2 hr 27 min screen on time. Wonder if you have hit on screen on time

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site

I'm having no real issues with LightFlow, other than the persistent notification. For example, I'm currently at 12 hours since last charge with 84% battery left. Granted, being a Saturday it's been a slow day for my phone. But clearly, LightFlow isn't keeping my phone awake.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

I'm having no real issues with LightFlow, other than the persistent notification. For example, I'm currently at 12 hours since last charge with 84% battery left. Granted, being a Saturday it's been a slow day for my phone. But clearly, LightFlow isn't keeping my phone awake.

To get rid of that there is a reset button in the app, I know there used to be a widget to. I haven't used this app since my galaxy nexus days so I'm not sure if it's still there.

renegad3

May 16, 2013
Visit site

I use LightFlow, works great. Does not eat battery at all.

I have chosen to disable ambient display however. It does not work that great (IE: activating at times for no reason, at others times not coming on at all when I pick up the phone). Those issues were present before installing LightFlow, and were indeed part of the reason I installed LightFlow in the first place.

Yes, there is a bug, because LightFlow and ambient display conflict if both are enabled, and especially if you enable screen based notifications in LightFlow.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

I use LightFlow, works great. Does not eat battery at all.

I have chosen to disable ambient display however. It does not work that great (IE: activating at times for no reason, at others times not coming on at all when I pick up the phone). Those issues were present before installing LightFlow, and were indeed part of the reason I installed LightFlow in the first place.

Yes, there is a bug, because LightFlow and ambient display conflict if both are enabled, and especially if you enable screen based notifications in LightFlow.

I've found Ambient display to be a lot more hit or miss on the 6p than the nexus 6. You could just nudge the nexus 6 and it would flash the screen. The 6p does not respond as well.

ryanparedez

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site

We'll it definitely was for me. I removed it and noticed a difference. Still having some issues with doze and not charging at night.

mustang02

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site

Look at your apps closer. Doze should be flat. Like this.

887b7eacc53fbfb0a64752e3b20d18d9.jpg

ryanparedez

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site

Mine isn't as flat. A bit choppy. Again no use from about 10pm to 930 am I was sleeping. Just laid on my desk.

uploadfromtaptalk1447612243763.jpg

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site

To get rid of that there is a reset button in the app, I know there used to be a widget to. I haven't used this app since my galaxy nexus days so I'm not sure if it's still there.

The persistent notification is a known issue with Marshmallow that he is working on, though may require a change from Google. He has it on his help pages for the Nexus 6P, as well as Lightflow causing issues with Ambient Display.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Over and over again, with each new device and/or new OS version, LightFlow seems to rise to the top of the "problem apps" category.

Honestly, I don't know why people bother...

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site

Over and over again, with each new device and/or new OS version, LightFlow seems to rise to the top of the "problem apps" category.

Honestly, I don't know why people bother...

The same reason why a disturbing number of people still think apps like Cleanmaster are good for your phone.

Go0gle

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site

Just charged my phone after 48 hours and 3.5 hours of screen on time. I know everyone's usage is different but that is freakin' amazing in my books. Just over an hour later and I'm back at 100% again. Wow.

My "doze curves" are all flat in the battery graph - some of you look like you have something running on the phone keeping it away. It should not be a diagonal line while sleeping. I typically lose 2-4% over a 8-10 hour sleep with the phone on my nightstand, WiFi on.

Re: Lightflow - I got rid of that POS app ages ago. So full of bugs it was unusable on my N5. I would dismiss notifications and the light would just keep going and going. Most decent apps these days let you customize the light a bit anyway, so I haven't found a need for it. I had the issue in Kitkat and Lolipop, and I read about it now in Marshmallow with no surprise whatsoever.

Last edited:

kyoo

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site

any of you guys do any gaming on the phone? i.e., I play summoner's war a good amount and while it was okay on the OPO it absolutely destroys the 6p's battery life. More than 1% a minute for me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana