Voice Mail Notifications on Verizon

BKVic

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I went from the Note 3 to the Nexus 6P and couldn't be happier but there is one thing that has been bothering me. When ever I get a voice mail there is no voice mail notification as with all other phones I've had.Is there some setting that I haven't set or does the 6P not do notifications on verizon?

BKVic

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I went from the Note 3 to the Nexus 6P and couldn't be happier but there is one thing that has been bothering me. When ever I get a voice mail there is no voice mail notification as with all other phones I've had.Is there some setting that I haven't set or does the 6P not do notifications on verizon?

BKVic

I don't have Verizon, but usually the nexus displays the VM icon in the top left corner of you have one. Just hold 1 down on the num pad and check it. Maybe you don't have any.

Posted via the Android Central App

BKVic

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Nope,no verizon logo. I just called myself and left a voice mail. It does send me a text message but Id rather have the little voice mail symbol in the upper corner of the display.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Nope,no verizon logo. I just called myself and left a voice mail. It does send me a text message but Id rather have the little voice mail symbol in the upper corner of the display.

Hmmm try rebooting the phone. It might show up. Did you actually check your VM while on the nexus? Just go into it and set it up.

cyndie1030

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
I had this same thing happen. I called Verizon and at first they said there would be some functionality that would not work on non-branded phones. I told him I was just talking basic voicemail and not Visual Voice Mail. He had me hold on a second, did something, came back and told me to restart my phone. Him and I then tested it and now I get the voicemail notification in my status bar.

BKVic

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I had this same thing happen. I called Verizon and at first they said there would be some functionality that would not work on non-branded phones. I told him I was just talking basic voicemail and not Visual Voice Mail. He had me hold on a second, did something, came back and told me to restart my phone. Him and I then tested it and now I get the voicemail notification in my status bar.

Thanks a lot! I guess Ill be talking to Verizon reps soon.

BKVic

Roose00

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Also had to talk to a Verizon rep and he did somethinf on their end to make it show as icon and not get a text message

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

When I had "advanced calling" turned on, it also enabled "basic visual voicemail" which sends a text as a notification of new messages and you no longer get the voicemail icon. Only way around it is to pay the $3 for the more advanced voicemail or use Google voice (which is what I'm doing as I already had a number).

With "advanced calling" turned off you won't be able to use cellular data while on a call. I suspect the rep turned advanced calling off.

segler

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Like some others, I was also getting those text messages. I called Verizon (twice), and they finally turned off Visual Voicemal on my account. They had to do it; I couldn't. So now I have only basic voicemail, and everything works properly.

Indyrobb

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I remember reading a bunch of complaints on sprint's boards when people went from a visual voicemail based phone to a non visual voicemail phone and something on the back end didn't get switched. They would get a text message instead of the vm indicator.

From what I remember, the visual voicemail app is supposed to grab the text and retrieve the vm from the link that's contained in the text. It's supposed to be an "invisible" text, but only when it's not. So if there isn't an app to grab it, then I guess they show up. I guess it's better than never knowing. But annoying nonetheless.

At least that's how sprint worked, I could be way off base here.

***edit to add, I always have to hit * at the end of listening to my voicemails to make the indicator go away before I hang up, again, not sure if it's sprint specific or not ***

Nick283

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
I had a similar problem no icon but a text message when i got a voice mail. . Call Verizon and have them check if you have voice mail basic or visual voice mail. The visual voice mail is not compatible on the 6P. Switch to basic and you should be fine.

MLWerner

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
Just got this taken care of with Verizon. When I switched from the original Galaxy Nexus to the 5X they turned on Visual Voice Mail. One reasonably painless phone call to Verizon and no more automated text messages.:cool:

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
I use Google Voice with Verizon. Took some tweaking because I tried to do the whole process on my phone and it's not the right way. Now I have it working beautifully after doing the process as Google instructed and not the way I wanted to try it.

Posted from the 6P of Aluminum Doom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress