First day issues... Maybe I am picky? [Nexus 6P]

Cold_Funky

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
Okay. Maybe I had myself over excited but I seeing a few things and wonder if it is normal.

1. Haptic feedback keeps coming back randomly, even though it is turned off in settings. ETA: I am an *****. I had it off in sound but not in the Google keyboard settings.

2. The screen colors shift from pink to green with very slight tilting of the phone.

3. Does Adaptive Brightness just not work properly? I turned it off because it was changing Brightness a lot, every time I pressed a new option in settings, for example.

4. The camera seems to take datk photos. I am assuming I will need to use a different camera app to adjust the settings myself?

Posting from a 6P that I really want to love.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums! Don't have a 6P myself, but I can ask around. As for the adaptive brightness, on my 5X, it's not that bad. When my finger or hand passes over the sensor, the phone freaks out sometimes, meaning abrupt and overcompensating changes are made. As for the camera, I have heard there are better ones, I am just not sure what they are. I can pass this along to a few other Ambassadors.

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Got to say that I'm in a similar boat. I only got the Nexus 6P because I want to switch to Project Fi from Verizon, plus some battery saving features added to Marshmallow. I do like the fact that the Nexus gives you a good Android experience. My last Android phone was a Samsung Galaxy S3, and it had a ton of unused Samsung and Verizon apps on it, in addition to the Samsung launcher/skins. Had to root that one to get rid of the many many apps that I didn't want, and get a custom ROM on it. I'm hoping that with a Nexus phone, I'll get much closer to an Android experience. I've already run into a lot of advertising, though, just in setting up the 6P using wifi (Fi SIM isn't coming until tomorrow). Ads are on free apps, so I guess I can't complain, although I'm trying to suppress the urge to root this one just to get rid of the ads. If the battery usage is okay, and I can stand the ads, I'd rather not root this phone, though, just go with the normal user experience.

Coming from an iPhone on Verizon with an IPS display, which I really like, especially outside in daylight. The AMOLED displays are a little over the top for my tastes, but I'll learn to live with it again [ed.: turns out sRGB looks better to me]. One of my initial impressions that isn't too positive is the tiny battery percentage used inside the battery icon...I can pull down the quick settings and get the actual percentage, but I'm not used to having to do that just to monitor battery usage.

Anyways, I like the size of the phone, and its responsiveness. Good form factor for me. Haven't set up the fingerprint reader yet, since no personal data on the phone at this point, but I'm used to using a fingerprint reader from the iPhone. Very handy for opening the phone, and some apps also use it for logging in, like Bank of America and LastPass.

Oh well, we'll see how it goes...I'm looking forward to wifi calling, since Verizon cell strength is only one bar at my work desk and I've been fighting the Network Extender for a few years now. Time to give up the battle, and use our great wifi for that.

Last edited:

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Got to say that I'm in a similar boat. I only got the Nexus 6P because I want to switch to Project Fi from Verizon, plus some battery saving features added to Marshmallow. I do like the fact that the Nexus gives you a good Android experience. My last Android phone was a Samsung Galaxy S3, and it had a ton of unused Samsung and Verizon apps on it, in addition to the Samsung launcher/skins. Had to root that one to get rid of the many many apps that I didn't want, and get a custom ROM on it. I'm hoping that with a Nexus phone, I'll get much closer to an Android experience. I've already run into a lot of advertising, though, just in setting up the 6P using wifi (Fi SIM isn't coming until tomorrow). Ads are on free apps, so I guess I can't complain, although I'm trying to suppress the urge to root this one just to get rid of the ads. If the battery usage is okay, and I can stand the ads, I'd rather not root this phone, though, just go with the normal user experience.

Coming from an iPhone on Verizon with an IPS display, which I really like, especially outside in daylight. The AMOLED displays are a little over the top for my tastes, but I'll learn to live with it again [ed.: turns out sRGB looks better to me]. One of my initial impressions that isn't too positive is the tiny battery percentage used inside the battery icon...I can pull down the quick settings and get the actual percentage, but I'm not used to having to do that just to monitor battery usage.

Anyways, I like the size of the phone, and its responsiveness. Good form factor for me. Haven't set up the fingerprint reader yet, since no personal data on the phone at this point, but I'm used to using a fingerprint reader from the iPhone. Very handy for opening the phone, and some apps also use it for logging in, like Bank of America and LastPass.

Oh well, we'll see how it goes...I'm looking forward to wifi calling, since Verizon cell strength is only one bar at my work desk and I've been fighting the Network Extender for a few years now. Time to give up the battle, and use our great wifi for that.

- use Adblock browser or the ad free Firefox browser

- you can add the actual number percentage in settings

- THIS IS A MUST ... install Google Opinion Rewards from the Play Store. After you install it make sure your location setting is on. It'll send you a survey that takes 10 seconds to complete every so often and you get paid in the form of Play Store credits anyway from 10-75¢ per survey. I make approx $5-$8 and use it for music and premium apps.

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
- Thanks...I've used the Adblock browser, not interested compared to other browsers. I like the Chrome browser, but if the ads get too bothersome, I might try the Firefox browser and see how fast it is.

- "You can add the actual number percentage in settings" is what I was talking about...the only thing I could find was having a number that is so tiny I can hardly read it inside the top part of the battery icon. Next to useless from a usability point of view without a magnifying glass. If there's a way that I can put a normal text battery percentage in the status line that's like the one in the "quick settings" without rooting, that's what I'm looking for.

- I'm not interested in filling out surveys or making $5-$8 filling them out. You can have mine *smile*.

I appreciate your response, like I said, I'll see how things go.

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Transparent Weather has a widget with battery percentage that is readable. So does GSAM Battery monotor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ab07