Question! Music players

sharon harvey

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
I had Black player on my last phone (Samsung Galaxy S4).. really miss it. Apparently, it can only function with a phone that has a SD card. I'm under the impression that the majority of players (perhaps all) need this. Nexus 6p has no SD card slot. I can stick with Google music but curious as to options. Any suggestions?

Posted via the Android Central App

sharon harvey

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Tried...? My Blackplayer did not recognize my music at all since I'm under the impression I would have to download it to phone if I wish to use another player. Correct?. Overtime... music will take up space will it not?

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Well it is a local music player, isn't it? I haven't tried it. But if it's local only, then yes you would need the music files on your phone. Which you can transfer with the USB cable from a PC or with any number of apps that can help do that.

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, if you want to stream your music files, Google music is a best bet. You can also load to your phone via otg. Regardless, a pain if you can't load up all your music to your phone to keep it there.

sharon harvey

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Any idea's as to why it won't work for me on my Nexus 6P? Tried everything. When it scans for music it always comes up with no music files found. It will recognize my ringtones and notification sounds though. 😕

callanish

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Any idea's as to why it won't work for me on my Nexus 6P? Tried everything. When it scans for music it always comes up with no music files found. It will recognize my ringtones and notification sounds though. ??????

Have you tried another music app like poweramp which you can get from the google store ( free trial ) to see if it successfully scans your music files. That way, you'll know if the problem is blackplayer or entirely phone related. Worth a shot!

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
What format are your files in? On my Samsung devices I could use the stock player and PlayerPro with almost any file type. I have a mixture of .WMA and .MP3 on my device so it was nice.

With Motorola and Nexus, my stock player and PlayerPro fails to recognize .WMA files. Luckily, the solution is to use PowerAmp as it recognizes the files.

sharon harvey

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
I have no idea what format they are since I can't find them anywhere in my phone. I was able to do the same on my Samsung Galaxy S4. Will try PowerAmp

sharon harvey

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Not even PowerAmp will work. Again when it scans for music files it finds none even though my Google music is downloaded. 🙁

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Are these files owned by you or are they downloaded through Google Play with an All Access subscription? Sorry if you mentioned it but I can't seem to find it if so.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Are these files owned by you or are they downloaded through Google Play with an All Access subscription? Sorry if you mentioned it but I can't seem to find it if so.

I don't think it matters. Even if you download your own music to the phone that's been uploaded to Play Music, the file format is still proprietary, IIRC. The only way to use any music player is to load the music onto the phone via some other method, like USB, Dropbox, etc. I personally use doubleTwist, which pulls music and playlists from iTunes and loads them onto the phone.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it matters. Even if you download your own music to the phone that's been uploaded to Play Music, the file format is still proprietary, IIRC. The only way to use any music player is to load the music onto the phone via some other method, like USB, Dropbox, etc. I personally use doubleTwist, which pulls music and playlists from iTunes and loads them onto the phone.

Ah, that's right. I forgot about this.

sharon harvey

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for all the replies. It put me in the right direction. I put in a request through the Google Music store to be called & they called literally within 30 seconds! The tech thought it was bizarre and had the the same assumptions as me on the issue. So long story short the Nexus 6p can only store purchased music by USB transfer. But @ least I know that as long as my purchased music is downloaded no internet connection or data is required to listen. Tech support was great!👍

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for all the replies. It put me in the right direction. I put in a request through the Google Music store to be called & they called literally within 30 seconds! The tech thought it was bizarre and had the the same assumptions as me on the issue. So long story short the Nexus 6p can only store purchased music by USB transfer. But @ least I know that as long as my purchased music is downloaded no internet connection or data is required to listen. Tech support was great!??????

Well, it'll download your music via Google Play Music or over USB/Wifi. If you download via Play Music, you can play it offline but only with Play Music. If you load it via usb/wireless, you can use any player you choose. As stated above, one I like is doubleTwist. It syncs over your WiFi network, but its certainly not the only way to get music on the phone.

Honestly, Play Music is fine for most purposes. It's definitely easy and works well. Plus, you can manage your music and playlists on your home PC via the Play Music website. Other players just have more options, though, depending on exactly what you're looking for.