Terrible phone call quality, is it the phone or Verizon?

carlos12001

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
I did, minimal benefit. Thanks for the suggestion

My call quality sucks too, I hate it. I'm in a marginal area so I guess I can blame it on that. If you're rooted, there is an app called Lspeed, it has a tweak to improve call quality, seems to help I guess.

Posted via the Android Central App

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
When I first got the 6P, I had terrible call quality when using it without a BT headset. After I got the S7 Edge, only then I realized why. When I use my cell phone without a BT headset, I sometimes lean it between my left shoulder and my ear, the way one does...

It turns out that the mic used to cancel out background noise is blocked when I do that with the 6P because it's location is just below the camera. On the S7 Edge on the other hand, this noise cancelling mic is on top of the phone, so the same thing doesn't happen.

So to solve this, I either use a BT headset, or hold the phone upright to my ear so I'm not blocking the noise cancellation mic. That's sorted out all call quality issues for me with the 6P.

Posted via the Android Central App

rpmm70

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
I have noticed that if I have VoLTE on and a slow internet connection, I definitely have same issues with call quality. There have been times when the person I am talking to can hear me, but I can't hear them.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
This is odd. I'm on Verizon, but most of the time I'm on a network extender due to poor signal strength in my area. A few months back, I had to travel and switched on enhanced LTE Services. I was amazed at how great the call quality was. It literally made me jump because it sounded like the guy was right next to me. I'm planning on picking up one of those LTE Network Extenders because if I could always get call quality like that, it'd be worth it.

Jim Devine

Aug 14, 2016
Visit site
Network extenders, I'm not familiar with those. I'll have to take a look. I have explored turning the enhanced feature on and off. It actually can help when you turn it off, especially when driving, as the hand off to non Verizon towers adds to the choppy signal and call quality. The downside is obviously you can't use data and voice simultaneously with the feature off. Thanks again

NotFromHere

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Network extenders, I'm not familiar with those. I'll have to take a look. I have explored turning the enhanced feature on and off. It actually can help when you turn it off, especially when driving, as the hand off to non Verizon towers adds to the choppy signal and call quality. The downside is obviously you can't use data and voice simultaneously with the feature off. Thanks again

I have VOLTE turned on. When it was first introduced I was sure that I would hate it because I envisioned calls being constantly dropped as I moved in and out of LTE coverage areas, but in practice I've never found it to be an issue, and for me simultaneous voice and data access is essential. I do kind of miss the old days of the phones that could handle voice and data without VOLTE (every phone I've owned prior to the N6p), but I guess LTE coverage really has come a long way.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
This is odd. I'm on Verizon, but most of the time I'm on a network extender due to poor signal strength in my area. A few months back, I had to travel and switched on enhanced LTE Services. I was amazed at how great the call quality was. It literally made me jump because it sounded like the guy was right next to me. I'm planning on picking up one of those LTE Network Extenders because if I could always get call quality like that, it'd be worth it.

How do you switch on enhancd LTE features? I don't see it listed in the features section of the My Verizon app.