ARCHIVED: [ROM] Stock Virgin Mobile + Xionia Kernel (BETA 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RevolutionRed

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I had the charge issue. Would take three hours to charge 15%. Now I just charge overnight so I haven't been able to keep an eye on the charging speed.

I will say though that my brother is experiencing the same thing but he is on 100% stock vanilla. Not rooted.

Might be a rom issue?

This has also been reported on stock Vs (myself included), so it's most likely something to do with Virgin's software. That said, if I can isolate the problem and fix it, I will do so. So far I've been unable to do so on my modded V, but it happens fairly often on my wife's all-natural V.

eggFuJON

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
icemank has just released a 2.3 port based on zefie's work that also uses zefie's kernel, so you get the best of all worlds. Check it out in the forum if you are interested! Also, if you are using the Xionia Clockwork Recovery, you can flash the kernel independently of the rom.

Sounds awesome. I am about to flash to this. I hope battery life is as good as on your rom.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
See my last post. Although, you've achieved basically the same thing by flashing the kernel, which is newer than the rom (and in fact the kernel I'll be using in the next release), So I wouldn't bother.

This is what i did to get this ROM going on my phone...
...Done.

Thanks. I was using the wrong recovery (v-1.2.0 not s-1.1.0)
I'll put it on and post the linpack score. I'd like to try the de-crapwared ROM.

antipasta

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I flashed this rom from a stock V, and when browsing the web the touchscreen seemed a lot more jittery and not smooth when dragging around the page. I noticed this in both dolphin and miren. Flicking the page was smooth, the issue was when continuously pressing down and dragging the page.

It could have been my imagination, but I flashed back to stock and no longer notice this issue.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I was using the wrong recovery (v-1.2.0 not s-1.1.0)
I'll put it on and post the linpack score. I'd like to try the de-crapwared ROM.

well, the S recovery gave me the same error, can't find the update script. Since you say it's pretty much the same with just the Xionia kernel installed, and I found that to be pretty nice, I'm going back to trying Gingerbread again, this time from zefies-cm7-optimus-v-current-02232011-a
I like it so far.
Appreciate the help, info, and especially all the work put into the ROM here. Hopefully I can contribute more than text around this forum in the near future.

Irkillcactuar

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
ext3/darktremor apps2sd?

I think this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find an answer. I browsed around the S forum for a while and read up on it but I wanted to ask here before I gave it a shot.

Does Darktremor apps2sd work with this set up? Also, I know revolutionred said ext4 is not yet supported, but is ext3?

I have the thunderc-v custom recovery, and it does not seem to want to convert to ext3 after I partition the card. Is there something I'm missing?

I have a class10 16gig card, and I wanted to try and free up some memory/get some performance. Just wondering if there are any additional steps I need to take to get this set up on the V or if it's even worth doing at this point?

Thanks!

digitaljeannie

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Apps2SD is built into Froyo. You don't need a custom kernel or script to enable it. It's already enabled by default in the OS.
Also, partitioning is not required for Froyo a2sd.

Helgaiden

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Move2sd enabler might be the best option for you then. Doesnt need special partitioning and lets you set default app install location to the SD.

bman123

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I flashed this rom about 3 hours ago and everything works fine. I used mmmark111 custom recovery, backed up the stock rom then flashed this one. at first I thought I messed up but it just takes a minute to load since there is no virgin mobile splash screen. I overclocked my cpu to 760 mhz and everything is sup much faster and smoother.

Thanks alot for this custom rom I'll be spreading the word

antipasta

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I gave this rom another shot this morning and determined that the 'jitter' I noticed while scrolling was due to using the 'interactive' setting in setcpu.

Interactive sometimes scales the cpu back down to a low mhz even while in the middle of dragging around the screen, which for me was resulting in non-smooth scrolling. 'Ondemand' is more liberal in keeping the mhz at a high level while scrolling, so this results in the smooth scrolling I was used to in the old kernel.

So yes, not a rom issue, sorry for thinking it was :)

-joey

I flashed this rom from a stock V, and when browsing the web the touchscreen seemed a lot more jittery and not smooth when dragging around the page. I noticed this in both dolphin and miren. Flicking the page was smooth, the issue was when continuously pressing down and dragging the page.

It could have been my imagination, but I flashed back to stock and no longer notice this issue.

sonystudios

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
can someone build a rom that allows you to use ##3282# ? I would like to play with more of the settings, like the AAA passowrd, etc.

I wish Virgin would not have disabled this...

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Will try to verify. Sounds like a kernel issue, since that's basically the only unique thing about this rom.

I have been playing a bit more, trying to track this down more.

I have had Rodimus not have the problem (but it was a short test through a known bad spot), and I have had it have the problem in another location where it also happens.

When it didn't have the issue, it was an almost clean install, so it's possible that something I'm installing that is causing it. On another forum (android forums) more than a few people are having this issue as well. I doubt all of them are using alternative roms.

I will keep looking and see if I can track it down more, but at this point, it's questionable if it's a kernel issue.

economichitman

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
After using this rom for about a week, ive noticed several things.
First, running a 760 mhz oc with setcpu profiles enabled to conserve battery life still gives me a longer run time than with the stock un-rooted rom. Also makes it feel like a different phone :)
Secondly, it takes longer to charge than with the stock rom. Ive wiped and reflashed and its still an issue. Sometimes it seems I have to reboot the phone to get it to charge at all.
Lastly, and I dont know if this occurs on the stock rom, but after being unplugged for around 16-24 hrs I rapidly begin to lose available memory even after killing running apps. After rebooting it seems to float around ~300mb available with no running processes, but will drop to ~230 after a day of use. When this happens the phone becomes laggy and unresponsive. Particularly, the hold-press on the power button will bring up the shut down menu but also shut the screen off, and it becomes a struggle to power off the phone.

So I love the performance this rom enables, I just have to reboot my phone every night before I plug it in to charge.

Oh and I was wondering if over-overclocking the cpu could be causing memory corruption, thus the declining available memory as the phone is turned on. I dont have a problem with reboots, but when the hold-down menu for the power button starts bugging out the application launcher will crash over and over again until I reboot the phone.

travisbickle

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I love everything about this rom. The only thing is I am having a problem with the sd card automatically unmounting and then I have to go into settings and remount it. I remember reading somewhere on the forum someone else having this issue but don't remember if they came up with a resolution. Any ideas?

ceejay83

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I love everything about this rom. The only thing is I am having a problem with the sd card automatically unmounting and then I have to go into settings and remount it. I remember reading somewhere on the forum someone else having this issue but don't remember if they came up with a resolution. Any ideas?

i'm having this problem too :(

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

i'm having this problem too :(

Odds are it's a card issue.

Go into settings, SD Card and Phone Storage
Unmount the card
Mount the card on your PC, back up everything.
Put it back in your phone.
Mount the card
Format SD Card (this WILL erase everything, you did copy everything off right?)
Unmount, put it back in your PC
Put your files back on,
Put the card back in your phone,
Mount it

Should be fine.
Always try to format cards in the device they are to be used. The computer can usually adapt, the devices can't.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I have been playing a bit more, trying to track this down more.

I have had Rodimus not have the problem (but it was a short test through a known bad spot), and I have had it have the problem in another location where it also happens.

I will keep looking and see if I can track it down more, but at this point, it's questionable if it's a kernel issue.

A bit more on the issue...
It's due to a battery saving trick which was removed, but the app's setting was being transferred from one install to another when I was transferring my call and sms logs.

I'm not sure where the setting is saved, or why it was being transferred with the backups, but apparently it was.

With a fresh clean install, everything worked, as soon as I thought it was solved, I would put my logs back on and the problem woudl return.

Helgaiden

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Odds are it's a card issue.

Unmount the card
Mount the card on your PC, back up everything.
Put it back in your phone.
Mount the card
Format SD Card (this WILL erase everything, you did copy everything off right?)
Unmount, put it back in your PC
Put your files back on,
Put the card back in your phone,
Mount it

Should be fine.
Always try to format cards in the device they are to be used. The computer can usually adapt, the devices can't.

if i do that but instead copy everything from my 8gb to a 16gb card (formatting the 16gb card in the phone then transferring everything from the backed up 8gig card to the 16gig one), would that work? About 95% of all my downloaded apps are on the SD card and im curious if doing that would break those apps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez