[AIO] ROMTools v2.3.1 (ex-recoveryflasher) Tons of new features!

Status
Not open for further replies.

joewknap

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
why is it that any way i try to boot to recovery it stays stuck on the lg screen. ive tried the vol down home power button way and that just gives me a blank screen. your reboot to recovery makes it stick at lg bootscreen. i have to pull the battery and then power on to get anywhere and then it boots normal. any help would be greatly appreciated

bswann

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I just downloaded ROMTools and recovery flasher and I have a rom that I want to use so do I use both programs? or do I just use romtools and put the zip file in the rom folder and choose flash rom and that's it? Tell me if I am wrong- I hook up the phone via usb set it to debugging then open romtools and select flash rom and follow the instructions and then reboot when done and that's all I have to do? Does the SD card need to be unmounted?

Last edited:

Hugh Johnson

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I just downloaded ROMTools and recovery flasher and I have a rom that I want to use so do I use both programs? or do I just use romtools and put the zip file in the rom folder and choose flash rom and that's it? Tell me if I am wrong- I hook up the phone via usb set it to debugging then open romtools and select flash rom and follow the instructions and then reboot when done and that's all I have to do? Does the SD card need to be unmounted?
First you run a temp root so you can install CWMA - that's your recovery mode now (it will replace your factory reset buttons if you need to access it for one reason or another later on). Then you can either have ROMTools push rom.zip onto the phone or manually transfer the zip file over to the SD card and install it using CWMA (this is why it's good to know how to boot into recovery mode ;)).

The SD card can be mounted. I just transfer over my zipped ROM through the PC to the SD, shut it down and launch into recovery.

bswann

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I can use romtools and select flash recovery and when that is done use it again and choose flash rom and it will flash whatever rom I have in the rom folder and that's it? I would rather have the program do everything at first until I know I can do it without screwing anything up. How do I boot into recovery mode? Thank you for the help I will be trying this later tonight.

bswann

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
One more question when I do this I will have to re-install everything right? where are the files for the apps I got off of the market at? I want to put them on the sd card with the other ones I got other places

Hugh Johnson

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Choose 1 for the straight through route. As noted, your rom file has to be named rom.zip and in the rom folder, ie. /rom/rom.zip.

Option 2 will let you choose to go through a slightly more detailed setup for the recovery flasher. With this step you can choose to do 3 things: install necessary drivers on your PC, get root, and install CWMA (for completely untouched phones); get root and install CWMA (if you already installed drivers on your PC); or just install CWMA recovery tools (if your phone is has already been rooted). This is pretty much what mmmark111's original recoveryflasher was.

To boot into recovery mode press volume down + home key + power, when the phone is off. The LG logo will show up for about 2 seconds and then will go into CWMA. CWMA overrides the original LG factory reset commands. You can still access the LG factory reset through one of the CWMA menus but it's strongly advised not to use it because CWMA was built based off of a Sprint ROM rather than a Virgin Mobile one as I recall - I may have bricked my original Optimus V by using it! If you want to reset the phone your best option is too use CWMA issue a command to wipe the SD card (CWMA itself won't be wiped because it's stored on the phone's internal memory) and then use CWMA to install the fresh ROM.

You'll have to reinstall everything because part of the process is clearing the data and system folders I believe. This prevents old ROM files from getting mixed in with the new ROM's. I'm not 100% on the location of installed apps, but you may need to reinstall them anyway because some portions of some apps are installed on the phone's internal memory (which will partially be wiped). You can use Titanium Backup to run a full batch backup of your Android but you need to have root access to use it (you can get temp root in Rom Tools - shortcut to it is 1-2-1 in the menu). Personally, I think it would be better to redownload the apps from the Market using wifi and load your existing .apk files onto the SD. I have to warn you though that I'm not sure if you can reinstall paid apps onto what the Market will basically consider a new device. I've only used free apps so far.

So, in summary:
  • Option 1 is the quick method if everything works as it should. ;)
  • Option 2 isn't any more difficult and you may need to use it if Option 1 fails at some point.
  • Press volume up + home key + power to enter the recovery menu (CWMA)
  • It's probably a good idea to not use the "LG style factory reset" option in CWMA and reinstall your ROM from a wiped SD card if you want a clean slate.
  • Safest bet for your apps to run properly is to download them from the Market again and install your APK files with something like Astro if you don't already have something chosen.

Good luck! :p

Reactions: bswann

buckie bo

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
this is exactly what I have but, no matter what I choose, it goes to the LG screen and freezes. What am I missing, it has to be something so simple my small brain cant wrap itself around it

For some reason you guys aren't getting the recovery installed.

You should see 8 options in recovery.
- reboot System Now
- apply sdcard:update.zip
- wipe data/factory reset
- wipe cache partition
- Install zip from sdcard
- backup and restore
- mounts and storage
- advanced

It should also say Xionia CWMA V.1.2518.4 at the bottom.

4 means the recovery didn't load and you are seeing the stock LG recovery.

ashton4life

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Hello, I am new to the android community. I would like to know if I can back up my original rom to reflash it if I need to? What program do I use and steps if possible. Also I was wondering if anyone has had any issues with this beta rom other then what was already commented? Should I use this one?

Hugh Johnson

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Hello, I am new to the android community. I would like to know if I can back up my original rom to reflash it if I need to? What program do I use and steps if possible. Also I was wondering if anyone has had any issues with this beta rom other then what was already commented? Should I use this one?
Just follow the instruction for ROMTools to flash.

You can use this backup, optimusV_stock_nandroid_and_recovery.zip, to revert back to stock through CWMA (the included recovery flasher in ROMTools).

ashton4life

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Hello again, I ran ROMtools and ran the "flash recovery phone". It finished doing the temp root and then reboot the phone. It rebooted into the regular screen with the 4 stock recovery options, nothing more, no custom recovery menu. To be honest all I want to do is Root the phone to overclock a bit. From what I understand I need to install a new rom to ROOT but I am stuck and can't figure out what else to do? I would really appreciate some detailed help on this. Anyone give me you email for paypal and I'll pay someone if they can help me. :( I have the Xionia-VM ROM and the original VM ROM for back up)

Hugh Johnson

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Hello again, I ran ROMtools and ran the "flash recovery phone". It finished doing the temp root and then reboot the phone. It rebooted into the regular screen with the 4 stock recovery options, nothing more, no custom recovery menu. To be honest all I want to do is Root the phone to overclock a bit. From what I understand I need to install a new rom to ROOT but I am stuck and can't figure out what else to do? I would really appreciate some detailed help on this. Anyone give me you email for paypal and I'll pay someone if they can help me. :( I have the Xionia-VM ROM and the original VM ROM for back up)
You sure you had it temp rooted? Did you get the # sign when it tested to see if the root was successful?

Give it a few more tries. The Xionia-VM ROM is stock with with root and Virgin Mobile stuff removed as I recall. Xiona's Cyanogen Mod 7 for Optimus V is stable too and adds a lot more features like a built in overclocking option.

Mirth

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
i have a problem... i use the option to flash recovery and it does its thing and it reboots to recovery...but its stock recovery. help please.
p.s. i'm an Android Newb

Go to the ROMTools folder, and there's a file called "recovery" (or "recovery.img") and rename it as "vrecovery" (or "vrecovery.img")

shawayne21

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I tried getting the Xionia recovery, and when I go into recovery now it turns into a blue screen with white letters saying:

Fastboot
edc_start()

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if this has been suggested or not, but heres my suggestion.

Is it possible to atleast show some sort of progress via ROMtools screen after hitting the spacebar for pushing a rom and such?

I know I wonder if its actually working or not. A flashing _ always makes me think its either froze or not working properly. Nothing major just a thought.

Muckcityshogun

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Ive tried to do this a few times now and it hasn't worked on my optimus v, i get shell root confirmation and I get to the system recovery but then when I try to flash the rom it says

remount failed: Operation not permitted
-exec '/system/bin/sh failed: No such file or directory (2) -

Then if I try to apply the rom from the sd card it says

E: failed to open /sdcard/update/zip (No such file or directory)
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted

I followed the steps exactly multiple times and keep getting this, any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty