[FIX]Black screen with custom recovery and custom roms

dumbphones

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the help in this thread and the other one squid.

Maybe make it more clear in this post that the IHO recovery does work for the new phones and is meant to be used with the OV, unlike Xionia, however both do in fact work. That was my major problem. I just couldn't figure out which recovery was which in terms of compatibility and recommendation from the community. Other than that, great post squid!

Reactions: bigsupersquid

Mister Burnz

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Alright, so I too have the black screen of doom. Manage to run things fine, but in the process of trying to find a new ROM, nothing has worked. Any suggestions?

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
New iho roms are plug-and-play regardless of screen type.
there's a link to the iho download wiki in the first post of this thread, or you can look in the inferior human organs thread for more info.

droidiw

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Hi every one,
I have the black screen problem too. I can not see any thing except to LG logo in the beginning whenever I try adb shell it says : -exec '/system/bin/sh' failed No such file or directory.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
it sounds like you got a bad rom flash, have you tried booting into recovery before using adb?
(press and hold vol down+home then press power too, hold them all until after lg logo goes away)

Reactions: megakid90

megakid90

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
ok i have an optimus v it was the original 2.2.1 (100% sure) and i was using regular CWM and i tried to do a restore and i only have the silver lg logo and when i try to boot into recovery it flashes for a second then goes black. i also tried to connect it to adb and adb wouldn't pick it up so is there any way to fix it? Oh ad is there a way to manually get into fastboot if i can get to that i can fix everything. ive had my phone like this for a month and school started for me and i really need this because my mother just gave birth and i need to stay in contact so any fixes will be SUPER helpful.

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Just want to add a story that might be helpful to some. One of my friends tried using rom manager on his V and wound up with a black screen when booting into recovery. Thankfully he only tried to do a backup from rom manager and didn't try and flash a rom. I knew of this thread and downloaded the proper iho recovery and tried using terminal emulator to flash it but failed. Frustrated in knowing I had the right recovery on hand but couldn't apply it I decided to search the market to see if there was an app to flash the recovery for me... I found one called flash image GUI for $.99 it said it supported the lg optimus so I decided to try it and selected the correct recovery from the sd card clicked recovery image and hit flash. Worked like a charm!! Now his phone has a good working custom recovery. This app could probably help others who aren't very skilled with the terminal emulator so I thought it should be mentioned here

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Reactions: bigsupersquid
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
ok i have an optimus v it was the original 2.2.1 (100% sure) and i was using regular CWM and i tried to do a restore and i only have the silver lg logo and when i try to boot into recovery it flashes for a second then goes black. i also tried to connect it to adb and adb wouldn't pick it up so is there any way to fix it? Oh ad is there a way to manually get into fastboot if i can get to that i can fix everything. ive had my phone like this for a month and school started for me and i really need this because my mother just gave birth and i need to stay in contact so any fixes will be SUPER helpful.

I never found any manual way to get to fastboot.
if adb recognizes your phone plugged into your pc you can get into the bootloader and use fastboot on your 2.2.1 ov (won't work on 2.2.2 zv5 baseband ov's)
open DOS prompt in the directory containing adb
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
if adb says no device present and you can't boot into rom or recovery for adb to connect the only trick I know of which can talk to your phone will flash sprint firmware and you will never have data service work on that phone again afterwards.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Just want to add a story that might be helpful to some. One of my friends tried using rom manager on his V and wound up with a black screen when booting into recovery. Thankfully he only tried to do a backup from rom manager and didn't try and flash a rom. I knew of this thread and downloaded the proper iho recovery and tried using terminal emulator to flash it but failed. Frustrated in knowing I had the right recovery on hand but couldn't apply it I decided to search the market to see if there was an app to flash the recovery for me... I found one called flash image GUI for $.99 it said it supported the lg optimus so I decided to try it and selected the correct recovery from the sd card clicked recovery image and hit flash. Worked like a charm!! Now his phone has a good working custom recovery. This app could probably help others who aren't very skilled with the terminal emulator so I thought it should be mentioned here

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

wondered if that app worked. never tested it. thanks for the info!

megakid90

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
I never found any manual way to get to fastboot.
if adb recognizes your phone plugged into your pc you can get into the bootloader and use fastboot on your 2.2.1 ov (won't work on 2.2.2 zv5 baseband ov's)
open DOS prompt in the directory containing adb
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
if adb says no device present and you can't boot into rom or recovery for adb to connect the only trick I know of which can talk to your phone will flash sprint firmware and you will never have data service work on that phone again afterwards.
yeah I heard this happened to your dev phone but do you think you (and/or your friends) can somehow fix that whole data thing in the near future because as a teen thats all that i use. and will wifi work? Also data including mms and SMS?

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
wifi works on my sprint radio'd ov, yes. voice calls and sms work. no mms, no 2g or 3g data.
the last link you mentioned wasn't enough to fix it, no.
the activate app in the stock rom doesn't work either, so all the vm settings had to be manually forced into the phone with multiple pst's (lgnpst, qpst, and others) to get the network to recognize it for voice and sms.
not a fun or easy process, I don't advise it unless you're going to throw the phone away otherwise.

megakid90

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
wifi works on my sprint radio'd ov, yes. voice calls and sms work. no mms, no 2g or 3g data.
the last link you mentioned wasn't enough to fix it, no.
the activate app in the stock rom doesn't work either, so all the vm settings had to be manually forced into the phone with multiple pst's (lgnpst, qpst, and others) to get the network to recognize it for voice and sms.
not a fun or easy process, I don't advise it unless you're going to throw the phone away otherwise.
Well if it's the only way I guess I have to go through with it :/ (dashing the sprint stuff not all the other stuff for data) and thank you very much I'm probably hoin to get a new phone once I save up my alowance (my parents don't want to buy a new one thinking I'm going to mess it up again)

Tristan23

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Noob question here--I'm hoping to root my Optimus V because I want the option of running apps off of the SD card as well as installing apps that require rooted phones to run. I just purchased it (maybe the 4th or 5th) and it's running Android 2.2.2. Given this info, does it sound likely to black screen? I've never rooted a phone before...I think I can follow the basic rooting directions but the more intermediary steps there are the less confident I am I can do it right, so I wanna know what I'm in for before I attempt it. Any input from more experienced hands is appreciated.

Chocu1a

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Noob question here--I'm hoping to root my Optimus V because I want the option of running apps off of the SD card as well as installing apps that require rooted phones to run. I just purchased it (maybe the 4th or 5th) and it's running Android 2.2.2. Given this info, does it sound likely to black screen? I've never rooted a phone before...I think I can follow the basic rooting directions but the more intermediary steps there are the less confident I am I can do it right, so I wanna know what I'm in for before I attempt it. Any input from more experienced hands is appreciated.

Being a new phone, the likelihood is you will have a newer screen. I purchased my phone in September & it blackscreened in recovery. I used the screencast method to fix it. If you choose a newer recovery or rom you should be fine.

Reactions: Tristan23

Tristan23

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Being a new phone, the likelihood is you will have a newer screen. I purchased my phone in September & it blackscreened in recovery. I used the screencast method to fix it. If you choose a newer recovery or rom you should be fine.

Yeah, I figured that would probably be the case. I'm gonna use Cyanogen's latest mod, so hopefully that will solve it. Thanks for the reply.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I figured that would probably be the case. I'm gonna use Cyanogen's latest mod, so hopefully that will solve it. Thanks for the reply.

You are well ahead of the game. You came here looking for info and now if something happens you have plenty of knowledge and info to get it working right.

Good luck and welcome aboard the addiction.

d-fitzpatrick

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Man I hate to post and expose my noobness.

I would love to fully root my Optimus V, but I don't understand how to flash a recovery that I would be able to see.

This is where I'm at:
late august I get an Optimus V. This is my first smartphone and I love it. I start reading threads online, rooting looks fairly easy. I run through the noob rutine: find as many different methods to root and install a chosen rom as possible.
get all the way through, restart.......LG
so now half my hair is in a pile on the floor. So now I'm back at target explaining to the nice man how ball lightning traveled into my house and landed on my powerstrip just as I was plugging my phone in to charge.

Anyway here I am my balls have dropped all over again and its time for round two.

Rooted with Gingerbreak apk. Busy box is installed flashed clockwork.......LG

remove battery. Verify I didn't get to far in. downloaded Xionia_kernal_clockwork img. , but I can't get terminal emulator to install the recovery.

(update) hahahahahahahahaha got it.
let me go clean up and smoke a cigarette then I'll try to retrace.

I put the details over there

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress