[ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.4][OS2SD/internal][f2fs]bigsuperROM-thunderc-4.4.4

Hugh Johnson

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: [ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.2]OV-KitKat (JBC based)

Hugh:
You need to download and install either the philz recovery (for the internal version) or TechVendetta's recovery (for the external version).
TechVendetta's is here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...2sd-internal-kitkat-rom-dev-techvendetta.html

philz is here: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/nfgfef6qpril7/CM11

Thanks. I tried with both recovery options and neither worked. I tried going back to OM-Mandylion-201301012 and I just get an unsupported kernal error. Looks like it's time for an upgrade. :'(

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site

Please explain what you did and how you did it, and with what version. The more detail the better.
Did you check the downloaded zips md5 sum with an md5 sum checker?
This ROM works. It will work on your phone as well. Works on all V's and S's. If it doesn't, it's either a bad download or you didn't do something right. Those are the only two causes of it not working on a V or S.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

Thanks. I tried with both recovery options and neither worked. I tried going back to OM-Mandylion-201301012 and I just get an unsupported kernal error. Looks like it's time for an upgrade. :'(

I'd suggest using the philz and full wiping everything.
format system, data, cache.
install internal rom.zip
install skinny gapps
reboot

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Re: [ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.3][OS2SD/internal]OV-KitKat (JBC based)

Any plans on an update soon Squid? Perhaps 4.4.3? :cool:

New internal build uploading! 4.4.3 no less!
see post 2.
os2sd tomorrow. And I figured out what was forcing gapps to be flashed along with the rom, the OneTimeInitializer.apk is borking it up.
For now, the current build uploading, still has that file in it and needs the gapps flashed along with it before first boot.
Tomorrow, I fix it all.
For now, a taste of 4.4.3 on obsolete hardware, the very day I see mention that cm has finished importing it ;) lucky it worked out.
It is almost completely untested and I put it on an out-of-service phone.... you all will have to tell me if anything is messed up.

Last edited:

Hugh Johnson

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

I'd suggest using the philz and full wiping everything.
format system, data, cache.
install internal rom.zip
install skinny gapps
reboot
I reflashed over to philz. I did "wipe cache partition" and then "Wipe Data/Factory Reset" -> "Clean to Install a New ROM" and it still fails with (Status 7). I tried "Wipe Data/Factory Reset" and still the same thing.

So far I have Skinny 4.4 Gapps and then CrossBreeder ready to go. Just can't get past flashing the ROM though.

Maybe I'm missing something because I'm not exactly sure what you mean by install internal rom.zip. Unless internal rom.zip is "cm-11-20140314-internal-thunderc-md5-2a32441003a627330593b25bacc0f215.zip"?

Thanks for helping bigsupersquid and AndyOpie150.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

that's the older file now, but yes. Another currently uploaded however it's untested.
Status 7 is either something failed to copy or permissions failed to set. I think.

Even an opt S should hold the rom without gapps. Dunno why it won't fit.
Try format system under mounts menu rather than using the batch format menu options.

And I need to modify the install posts, too many people have issues w crossbreeder.

Last edited:

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site

What always works for me is to use the internal version and in philz recovery:
Wipe:
wipe data/factory reset > clean to install a new rom
wipe cache partition
wipe dalvik cache (in the advanced section)

Mounts and Storage option:
format boot
format system
format data
format cache
format sd ext

Then I flash the ROM. Reboot system and wait 5 to 10 minutes.
Once fully rebooted I go back to the recovery and install the Skinny Gapps, then reboot.

Did you remember to check the md5 sum?

One other question: How big is your SD card and what size is the ext.4 partition you made.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the tech support, Andy.

I am testing the OS2SD version of yesterday's build now. Both it and the internal need some new stuff stripped out, like the CMUpdater. So these two releases are kind of temporary and only because:
1) It's been forever since I had an update,
2) moving to the next release is cool even if untested and needing work, and
3) They need fixed up to be more, I feel, safe to use. I don't like that cmupdater one bit and it has an "update with cm recovery" in the system settings. since cm doesn't support us.... eww.

Soon, I will also make a stripped and skinny version of the pa_gapps since they've bumped up to 4.4.3 now. Bites to have to strip em yourself.

I saw nifty new other stuff in settings.... sdcard swap partition is natively supported.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

Squid, have you encountered any clock lag issues with your 4.4.3 tests? That's probably the #1 issue for me as far as attempting to use this ROM regularly on my V. I think some users have tried various clock apps to get around this problem IIRC (esp for using alarms).

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

Squid, have you encountered any clock lag issues with your 4.4.3 tests? That's probably the #1 issue for me as far as attempting to use this ROM regularly on my V. I think some users have tried various clock apps to get around this problem IIRC (esp for using alarms).
I haven't had it on anything long enough yet to see any... But of course since I'm not relying on an alarm it most likely won't want to show itself. Murphy's Law you know. But I'm watching for it.

yaconsult

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

Hugh - Andy's instructions are spot-on. I've just installed the rom on two optimus v using the internal build and philz recovery.

Make sure your partitioning is correct. You want a big fat32 partition first on the sdcard followed by a 1-2 gb ext4 partition. Use the wipe for install option in the recovery.

I was wondering where the contacts app was - finally realized they renamed it to people!

Have others noticed widget issues? I found that when I tried to put some widgets on the screen, it just opened the app instead of putting the widget on the screen - like the contacts widget, for example.

What clock settings are people using for this rom on this phone?

badblue1__

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site

Man this is killin me being stuck with the original sd card for this phone. Can't wait to try this rom out!!!

Well, they say good things come to those who wait. :p:

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

Man this is killin me being stuck with the original sd card for this phone. Can't wait to try this rom out!!!

Well, they say good things come to those who wait. :p:
I put up a new internal build too, for those like you with wussy external storage ;) It shouldn't need anything special to run.

TKruzze who updates the pa_gapps has done a few very nice things for us even though he wasn't aware of legacy device issues with certain apps until I pointed it out.

The real twinkie is the gapps_remover. You can flash one of his signed packages unmodified and use a text file on the root of the sdcard to tell the remover what gapps you don't want, and flash the remover. It culls all the libs and everything, plus sets a log file to prevent the same apps being installed on a later pa_gapps flash. Only really good for OS2SD, though, since we don't have the 87 Mb or so free for the micro package in internal.
Working on the skinny 4.4.3 package now.
Testing skinny package. It's missing a couple files because they won't fit... needs 12Mb free and won't flash if it won't fit. There's 3Mb free on my V after flashing it, an S will have less.
May not work on an S until cmupdater and stuff is gone. Need testing ;) Will upload to Drive... After it works.

Last edited:

Hugh Johnson

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

Following AndyOpie150's instructions I get an error when trying to format sd-ext. Says "Error formatting /sd-ext!"

I'm using a PQI 8GB Class 10 microsd card.

I reflashed over to TWRP and formatted the microsd card that way. Reflashed back to philz and then installed bigsupersquid's newest release (6/08) and it says install completed. Reboot and just a blank screen. :(

BTW, bigsupersquid your gapps folder appears to be empty.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

Following AndyOpie150's instructions I get an error when trying to format sd-ext. Says "Error formatting /sd-ext!"

I'm using a PQI 8GB Class 10 microsd card.

I reflashed over to TWRP and formatted the microsd card that way. Reflashed back to philz and then installed bigsupersquid's newest release (6/08) and it says install completed. Reboot and just a blank screen. :(

BTW, bigsupersquid your gapps folder appears to be empty.
try the last 03/whatever release in the archive... the newest one is in testing.
Use the older skinny gapps in the struckout text

the newest release flashes ok for me with no gapps...
did you specifically format system under mounts and storage menu in philz? if not, it'll overflow, and not everything gets flashed.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

Not sure if the 4.4.3 gapps will fit even if skinny on an Opt S. Got it down to a lame 23.1Mb with all the stuff it needs to barely connect to Play and such. Can cram it onto a V (with no leftover room) after trimming the rom.
May have to incorporate Toucan's ext scripting but not sure yet.

ugh. the new gapps don't trim very nicely. run fine on os2sd... keep on digging.

for now, the old skinny gapps are working ok on internal.

Last edited:

clwilliams6

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

Squid - I got your new OS2SD version running on my ZV4 - I used only TechVendetta's TWRP, and then only chose OS2SD partitions to mount.
First I did the "Andy full clean" ;-) and soon had it chugging along with no issues - and tons of room 'cause of OS2SD. So I let it sit and percolate a while. Really no problems. Then I took a deep breath, backed up via TWRP and then installed the latest 4.3 GApps, again only specifying OS2SD partitions to mount. The entire GApps did install - no errors reported - but then - ah, maps services, play services etc began to continuously fail. Rats. I wonder if it's absolutely necessary to have GApps install internally? I guess you have already answered that by telling us you're trying hard to trim it down. BTW - do let me know if I can help. I've got a bit of time, and I'm happy to test - heck, 2MB left over is plenty =) I was so eager to find a file at the end of that new trimmed GApps link you threw up there - it's like waiting for Santa! You tease you! Thanks for your work - it's really a treat to be able to keep up with the releases on the old VM670!
Oh yeah, the SD card is a class 10 32GB SanDisk - no problems at all with that card - and cost less than 20 bucks.

clwilliams6

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

The real twinkie is the gapps_remover. You can flash one of his signed packages unmodified and use a text file on the root of the sdcard to tell the remover what gapps you don't want, and flash the remover. It culls all the libs and everything, plus sets a log file to prevent the same apps being installed on a later pa_gapps flash.
I think you already gave me a clue. If I can follow the directions from TKruzze, and it looks pretty straight forward (famous last words) then I think I can get something Google-ish working.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

I think you already gave me a clue. If I can follow the directions from TKruzze, and it looks pretty straight forward (famous last words) then I think I can get something Google-ish working.
You definitely will have to use the OS2SD, because not even the micro gapps will flash (about 4x too big) and you have to flash them before the remover. I see you are, though.
The remover does list all the apps and their related lib files if you're messing with internal.
You can even put the 'stock' 200+MB package on OS2SD as long as you remove g+ and the keyboard libs. The big killers are the libjni_latinime.so and all the google+ stuff. google Now is ok if you get into the google settings, now & search, voice, hotword detection, and turn it off.