Straight Talk using Verizon

frugalmomy

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I want to upgrade my Straight Talk smartphone. I currently have a LG Optimus Zip L75C, which does the job as a phone, but not a very good smartphone. I can only have about 5 apps on it (and those say they are stored on my microsd) and I can't run the FB app at all. I have to routinely delete texts because the memory fills up quickly. These are my two biggest issues with this phone. If it had more internal memory, I would be happy.

With that said, I am considering the Samsung Galaxy SII. My concern is this runs on the At&t towers. Is it worth switching from Verizon towers to At&t towers to upgrade my phone?
If I want to stay with the Verizon towers, then what phone should I consider?

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Straight Talk doesn't switch which towers you use. They just sub-contract with the original carrier. In most cases switching towers is just a PRL update they send to your device when you activate. In my case I got more towers to connect to plus my original set.

When looking for a phone for Straight talk look for either CDMA devices without LTE or GSM with LTE. My Verizon Galaxy Nexus isn't supported because it is CDMA with LTE.

frugalmomy

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
So, because I brought my verizon phone number, then any straight talk phone I buy will run on verizon? I thought it had to do with the actual phone being CDMA or GSM that determines what towers you use.

frugalmomy

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for clearing that up. So, I have looked at several phones on Cowboom.com that seem like they are really good prices. My next question is, If I buy a phone outside of Straight Talk, does it have to say unlocked? Several phones at cowboom say verizon, but don't say they are unlocked. When I put them in my cart and start to checkout they don't say anything about having to sign up for a contract.

frugalmomy

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
One more quick question: I have an older Motorola Droid phone that I forgot about. It was my Verison phone before I switched to Straight Talk. I put the IMEI # into the Straight Talk bring your own phone check and it said I can bring this phone over.

I didn't know that this phone has a sim card. If I bring this phone over to Straight Talk, will it still run on the Verison towers? It looks like the sim card packet asks you to choose btw an At&t card or a Tmobile card. Now I'm confused. Any help?

atkichr

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Yes you can take that phone over. Unfortunately that means talking to straight talks horrible customer service reps.

Posted via Android Central App

thsixscrews

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
If your wanting a better phone than what straight talk has, then find the the phone you want and have it flashed to straight talk.
Do a Google search on the phone you would want and see if it can be flashed to straight talk on the Verizon network.
I have a Sprint HTC EVO 4g LTE on straight talk and haven't looked back. It's running on Verizon's towers.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Bradb76

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
If your wanting a better phone than what straight talk has, then find the the phone you want and have it flashed to straight talk.
Do a Google search on the phone you would want and see if it can be flashed to straight talk on the Verizon network.
I have a Sprint HTC EVO 4g LTE on straight talk and haven't looked back. It's running on Verizon's towers.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

OK let me get this straight, I currently have a HTC Rezound and it runs on the Verizon network, if I switch my phone to straight talk wireless it will still run on the Verizon towers?????

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
OK let me get this straight, I currently have a HTC Rezound and it runs on the Verizon network, if I switch my phone to straight talk wireless it will still run on the Verizon towers?????

Yes but you have to have it flashed. Its not like a GSM phone sadly.

wvufan1

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
If the phone is a Gsm phone it doesn't have to be unlocked to get Straight talk, But if it is a CDMA it either has to be Flashed to straight talk or unlocked. I am using a Htc Rezound Verizon it is Flashed to straight talk and it works great.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress