[Guide] Rezound Boot Animations

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so I've just had a few day crash course in boot animations and finally have a good grasp on the way they work on the stock Rezound (This includes Scotts Roms). I figured I'd pass this on to everyone else so you can use your favorite boot animation as well.

WARNING: This process does require root and will require you to move files onto /system/

For this example I'm going to use one that I cooked up at home (attached 4homegrown.zip). It's crap but should give you a general idea.

First desc.txt should look like this:

Code:
720 1280 15

p 1 15 beats
p 1 90 VZW

Here is the explanation of each of the parts:

720 is the width of the images
1280 is the height of the images
15 is the FPS(Frames Per Second)

p stands for part
1 is how many times to loop
15 is how many frames to pause (15 frames at 15FPS = 1 second)
beats is the directory(in the zip file) to run

You'll notice that in this file beats all black and just an intro piece. It can be whatever you want it to be. The VZW directory contains the meat of the boot animation. Both of these directories must be present for a stock ROM to properly show the boot animation.

So if you get a boot animation from the UOT kitchen that comes with part0 and part1, change them to beats and VZW respectively and edit the desc.txt file accordingly. Re-zip the file and drop it on your phone. Note that the zip file should be created using "store" compression.

The last nugget of knowledge comes with placing the file properly. Please keep in mind this is for stock ROMs. First you will need to remount /system as read/write. From there remove /system/customize/resource/hTC_bootanimation.zip . If you do not remove this file, you may never see your animation play. I would suggest moving this file to a backup location or simply renaming it. Next is placing your actual boot animation. If you wish to keep the stock animation rename/backup /system/customize/resource/Vigor_VZW_bootanimation.zip. Now copy your boot animation file over /system/customize/resource/Vigor_VZW_bootanimation.zip .

If you've followed this guide correctly, you'll now have your favorite boot animation playing when you reboot your phone. If I get any information on the other ROMs I will edit the OP here as well.

Reactions: rootbrain

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
This is pretty good info here, MrSmith. Great job.
I have ZERO idea about boot animations and how they work, so a few noob questions if you wouldn't mind.
- Does simply removing the VZW animation have a negative effect on boot time and/or the phone? I don't plan on replacing it.
- If I screw this up entirely, and no animation plays, will the phone still boot normally anyway?

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
This is pretty good info here, MrSmith. Great job.
I have ZERO idea about boot animations and how they work, so a few noob questions if you wouldn't mind.
- Does simply removing the VZW animation have a negative effect on boot time and/or the phone? I don't plan on replacing it.
- If I screw this up entirely, and no animation plays, will the phone still boot normally anyway?

Removing the boot animation doesn't effect boot time positively or negatively. You'll just see the HTC logo screen until the phone boots(The white HTC screen)

If you hose either of the boot animation files, everything will still boot normally just as stated above with the HTC logo screen until you're done booting up. It's basically a zero liability procedure.

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Removing the boot animation doesn't effect boot time positively or negatively. You'll just see the HTC logo screen until the phone boots(The white HTC screen)

If you hose either of the boot animation files, everything will still boot normally just as stated above with the HTC logo screen until you're done booting up. It's basically a zero liability procedure.

Excellent, excellent. Thanks again.
The next step is to find awesome boot animations, or learn how to make them myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress