questions before root

leotnnz

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
my phone is currently just with ics ota. but i need my rezound as a global phone for my travel. mr smith's guide is great. but i still have a few questions before doing this.

no questions with unlocking.

on rooting part, i downloaded the latest amon ra 3.15 within a zipped file named ph89img. so i just unzip the file and put it under androidsdk file and issue the command?
if so, then i just need to install supersu, right? my understanding is the unlock and root will just swipe personal data like music and photos.
if i wanna back up my data, should i do this before unlocking with software like titan and restore the data after the rooting?

to make rezound as a global phone, i guess i need to flash 4.03.605.2 ruu and flash any rom i like. maybe vigor360? or you guys have any recommends.

my questions may be stupid. but i am the newbee on doing this. plz give a hand if i made any misunderstanding.

thanks.

tmettler5

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
You need to be locked to flash an RUU...sometimes to may need to flash a newer version of SU...I have had to do that several times. If I was on my home computer, I could attach it, but alas...

I recently started using Neo's AOKP Adrenalized Rom...love it.You can find it on the forum that must not be named. BT doesn't work, though...at least for phone calls...:-(

Backing up you can do a number of things...wiping won't erase your ext_sd, but it might...just sayin. I copied everything to folders on my desktop, then moved them back after wiping and flashing (sounds kinda dirty...)

leotnnz

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
thx. so i could flash a ruu first with an unencrypted SD Card. then unlock and root the phone?

You need to be locked to flash an RUU...sometimes to may need to flash a newer version of SU...I have had to do that several times. If I was on my home computer, I could attach it, but alas...

I recently started using Neo's AOKP Adrenalized Rom...love it.You can find it on the forum that must not be named. BT doesn't work, though...at least for phone calls...:-(

Backing up you can do a number of things...wiping won't erase your ext_sd, but it might...just sayin. I copied everything to folders on my desktop, then moved them back after wiping and flashing (sounds kinda dirty...)

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Yes and if you just want global, then this is all you have to do.

If you also want to unlock and root, unlock. Flash amonra. Flash a root file and install superuser, or just flash a rooted rom. Your choice...

Another good guide to look at is "Scotts noob friendly root guide ". Using both guides is you best bet because they each take a little different spin on things.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I would suggest flashing a rooted rom, which will be most of them. Any roms by Siulmagic are for gsm. He has a sense 3.6, sense 4, and an MIUI rom. The 3.6 and MIUI roms I would consider to be more "world" roms, as CDMA works on both. His Sense 4 rom is gsm only. I highly recommend MIUI if you want something different, but fully featured. It's kind of a mix of iOS and sense, and works great.

If you are gonna flash a bunch of roms, I would suggest going s-off as well. If you think your going to stay on one, s-on is just fine.

leotnnz

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
to go s off, should i go back to previous ruu other than the latest 4.0.3.605?

i am still confused on the connection among ruu, kernel and rom. i have already flash latest ruu. what i will do is unlock, root and amonra flash, right?

the rom choice is the most confusing point to me. my phone is on verizon. i would need my phone overseas with gsm mode. so i need to chose a global rom like miui as you said. but as i know some countries' gsm frequency is different from US. does this make any difference on roms?

thank you for help.

I would suggest flashing a rooted rom, which will be most of them. Any roms by Siulmagic are for gsm. He has a sense 3.6, sense 4, and an MIUI rom. The 3.6 and MIUI roms I would consider to be more "world" roms, as CDMA works on both. His Sense 4 rom is gsm only. I highly recommend MIUI if you want something different, but fully featured. It's kind of a mix of iOS and sense, and works great.

If you are gonna flash a bunch of roms, I would suggest going s-off as well. If you think your going to stay on one, s-on is just fine.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
You cannot go back firmware unless you are already soff. If you can soff with the global firmware idk.

To root you can:

A. Unlock. Install amonra. Flash a root file.

OR

B. Unlock. Install amonra. Flash rooted global rom.

If you do the ROM, it will say in the ROM thread on xda if it is based on the global firmware. They are all rooted. I am not sure if you will have to flash a new kernel or not...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I would stay away from kernels until you are more comfortable. They get confusing. All Roms will have a kernel built into them, so it's also not "really" needed. I'm not sure what gsm frequencies the Rezound supports, probably gonna need to check out where you are going, and we can figure that out as well. If you pick up MIUI, NEVER go into the radio options. There is a bug that you lose data, and have to flash back to a Sense Rom, then back to MIUI, it a wee bug they have not squashed on the AOSP based roms (AOKP, CM9, MIUI).

Last, I think most guys get a GSM simcard and pay another carrier when they are overseas because Verizon charges so much for international roaming.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I would stay away from kernels until you are more comfortable. They get confusing. All Roms will have a kernel built into them, so it's also not "really" needed. I'm not sure what gsm frequencies the Rezound supports, probably gonna need to check out where you are going, and we can figure that out as well. If you pick up MIUI, NEVER go into the radio options. There is a bug that you lose data, and have to flash back to a Sense Rom, then back to MIUI, it a wee bug they have not squashed on the AOSP based roms (AOKP, CM9, MIUI).

Last, I think most guys get a GSM simcard and pay another carrier when they are overseas because Verizon charges so much for international roaming.

But he is s-on, so he will have to flash a kernel for anything that is not sense 3.6. Kernels won't flash in recovery. So other ROMs base on aosp(miui) or sense 4 will not boot unless he flashes the kernel manually or they magically run on the Sense 3.6 kernel.

If you want to manually flash a kernel. We can direct you. It's just another step.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

leotnnz

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
thx, noyankees.

if could get s off with latest ruu 4.03.605, i would definitely go with this.

i wanted to flash vigor360 rom which is based on latest ruu and sense3.6 and is the globel rom. their thread says go soff before flash ruu, so i just wonder if i could or not do soff with 4.0.3. either, they mention flash s-on kernel after flash rom, which makes me confused on the connection between kernel and rom. i thought the difference between s-on and s-off flash was just spending more time for most roms.

anyway, i may be stupid to flash the latest ruu before reading all the stuff. now i am at the stage that my phone is s on with ruu4.0.3.605. i appreciate you guys help to figure things out.

But he is s-on, so he will have to flash a kernel for anything that is not sense 3.6. Kernels won't flash in recovery. So other ROMs base on aosp(miui) or sense 4 will not boot unless he flashes the kernel manually or they magically run on the Sense 3.6 kernel.

If you want to manually flash a kernel. We can direct you. It's just another step.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
thx, noyankees.

if could get s off with latest ruu 4.03.605, i would definitely go with this.

i wanted to flash vigor360 rom which is based on latest ruu and sense3.6 and is the globel rom. their thread says go soff before flash ruu, so i just wonder if i could or not do soff with 4.0.3. either, they mention flash s-on kernel after flash rom, which makes me confused on the connection between kernel and rom. i thought the difference between s-on and s-off flash was just spending more time for most roms.

anyway, i may be stupid to flash the latest ruu before reading all the stuff. now i am at the stage that my phone is s on with ruu4.0.3.605. i appreciate you guys help to figure things out.

You might* be able to soff with the newest leak, but I am not the person that would know. You would have to contact someone that put the method together.

If you need to flash the kernel with the ROM, then download the ROM and take the boot.img out of the zip. And put it in the file with all your fastboot files. Put the ROM on sd card. Reboot to recovery. Flash the ROM. Reboot to fastboot and flash the boot.img the same way you flashed amon ra. Reboot and enjoy.

For details on this method, Google "Scotts noob root guide". He has the commands write out explicitly under the kernel flash section.

The kernel is the bridge between the software and hardware. It is how the software communicates with the hardware in a nut shell.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

leotnnz

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
root problem solved. install superSU zip through amonra rather than installation from play store. root checker says i got the root access now.

one more question at time being. in supersu app list, i could only see some of my apps. the stock apps like some from verizon are not shown up. without s off, those verizon apps could only be disabled instead of swiped away. am i right?

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
root problem solved. install superSU zip through amonra rather than installation from play store. root checker says i got the root access now.

one more question at time being. in supersu app list, i could only see some of my apps. the stock apps like some from verizon are not shown up. without s off, those verizon apps could only be disabled instead of swiped away. am i right?

No they can be removed. Never done it, but you can. The easier thing would be to flash a rom with them gone already.

The only thing soff does is allow you to jump firmwares, makes flashing kernels a little easier, and some other little things possible. There is really nothing inhibiting about being s-on unless you want to go backwards on firmwares for some reason on you really hate flashing kernels in hboot.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW