If 'auto update' is ON why must I always choose UPDATE ALL??

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
Seems a bit obtuse to say "auto update is ON' when it doesn't do anything but alert me to when updates are there. Then I have to go to the Play Store and hit the APPS & GAMES to find out what needs updating, I get a choice to UPDATE ALL then and only then will the silly thing finally start to update things,

Is that the way it's supposed to work? Sure doesn't seem very automatic to me, if I constantly have to intervene to get the updates. I had it set to Wi Fi only but I changed it to let it get updates from the provider and use my data, I don't care about that!

I already went through the thing and one at a time let each app manually update, after that I was told I shouldn't have to do what I am doing...

My el cheapo AXS 4G tablet gets it's downloads automatically, I never had to touch it and that's running Jelly Bean.

Thanks to all in advance!

25544 :confused:

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I see the same thing on my S8+, but as you said, they are supposed to go on their own. There may be a delay time set so you can change your mind. I have notifications set off for updates :)

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
I see the same thing on my S8+, but as you said, they are supposed to go on their own. There may be a delay time set so you can change your mind. I have notifications set off for updates :)

HI PJRed2008,
So in your case if you don't see the update notification, will it really update on its own 'sometime'? Or must you go to the Play Store and get 'em?

Ohh your name... were you really a 'PJ' most folks don't know what they are but I sure do.....or does it have another meaning? Not to be nosey but I had to ask! :D

Thanks!

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
Yes, but I usually check and catch them before that happens.

As an explanation to my "PJ" reference.. I thought maybe you were a former Pararescue Jumper in the Air Force. These guys are the best at what they do, I thought maybe you were a retired "PJ" there was nothing offensive meant by the question, no double meaning. Thought you'd like to know since you never responded to the query.

Thanks!

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Oh, not a problem. I usually have 3 things going on and wanted to respond to the question. My initials are PJ, I'm way too smart to jump out of a working airplane. I am a pilot though :)

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
By manually tapping the UPDATE ALL button you're just speeding up the process, typically app updates will eventually kick in on their own (emphasis on 'eventually'). Mostly they're initiated when there's nothing else running in the background so long delays are typical. Also, it's not a matter where everybody will even receive an update notice on their mobile device at the same time, the update servers cannot handle all users simultaneously, there's just too many of us so auto updates are often grouped.

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
Hi smvim,, Well that answers the question, Seems like if I let the phone alone it won't update because it's timed out and 'asleep'...I could be wrong but I don't think it will update when on standby. I've tried to let it go and see when it does take the update but it never seems too <sigh> so I'll just keep pushing UPDATE ALL ! Thanks to you both. Odd that my cheap tablet grabs updates right away,slowing down whatever I am trying to do. LOL

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non