Slower speeds with Unlocked ver. on T-Mobile?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It might be because carrier firmware have the carrier aggression. You can can flash to carrier firmware if you choose so.

yhboy

Aug 22, 2019
Visit site
It might be because carrier firmware have the carrier aggression. You can can flash to carrier firmware if you choose so.

I was thinking the same, except it does show LTE+ which means it 'should' be using/taking advantage of carrier aggregation. Maybe it just doesn't play well with T-Mo network without their firmware?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I was thinking the same, except it does show LTE+ which means it 'should' support carrier aggregation. Maybe it just doesn't play well with T-Mo network without their firmware?
I've messed around with this on my note 9 going from unlocked to carrier firmware and carrier firmware is better signal wise and RCS features but I love the unlocked version enough to not keep me on carrier one.

yhboy

Aug 22, 2019
Visit site
I've messed around with this on my note 9 going from unlocked to carrier firmware and carrier firmware is better signal wise and RCS features but I love the unlocked version enough to not keep me on carrier one.

Any particular reason aside from it being unlocked and having slightly less bloat?

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
My signal strength is lower than my S10+ (locked) was.

Not how are you measuring that? I noticed on the past that t-mobile branded versions of hardware would scale the signal meter differently than the unlocked version. But if I looked at the numerical value, the signal strength was identical.

shook187

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Not how are you measuring that? I noticed on the past that t-mobile branded versions of hardware would scale the signal meter differently than the unlocked version. But if I looked at the numerical value, the signal strength was identical.
Exactly.. T-Mobile always boost their signal on their branded phone compared to their unlocks counterparts even though the APN settings are the same.. I had situations where my wife's T-Mobile phone shows full signal even though there is no signal.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I have pixel 3 xl on T-Mobile and don't see any speed issues. If note 10+ unlocked is different for some reason, it will be going back. Don't have patience for things like this.

yhboy

Aug 22, 2019
Visit site
Depending on ur location tmobile was having network issues yesterday, not sure if they still are

I read about that. But that doesn't explain it. I just spoke to a buddy who purchased an unlocked 10+ from Samsung and was experiencing a similar issue with reception. He flashed the T-Mo firmware on it and is seeing noticeably better signal/speeds (unrelated to the artificially boosted signal icon up top).

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Don't go by the signal indicators, in my testing perviously at least in my location there wasn't any difference in actual speeds between the unlocked and carrier versions when I was with T-Mobile. Carriers like to show more bars in their firmware maybe but actual speeds and connection no difference. If carrier bloat and carrier firmware doesn't bother you then yeah just for your peace of mind flashing the carrier firmware to make it carrier version doesn't hurt. Personally always prefer the non carrier firmware but that's just me.

PS: if you aren't familiar flashing, then be careful and don't brick your device

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non