Bye Bye, Note 10+, hello iPhone Pro Max XL

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't really see it as being biased towards Apple, just Apple brings the masses and all phones now have those cameras, so it makes sense to add them now. Though you're right, they probably already should have. They are subjective rankings though, like any camera review. They never had the Pixel 3 very high which is still widely considered the gold standard in still pictures, though the video part could be holding their score down, I don't remember.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
Why don’t people care about Huawei phones? Newer ones (since they won’t have google services and apps) I understand, but with the P20, Mate 20 and P30 Pros, Huawei has demonstrated that they are absolute beasts when it comes to battery longevity and camera performance, whilst retaining/including all the features people care about like OLED displays, fast charging, waterproofing etc as well as new features like reverse wireless charging, speed and in display fingerprint scanners.

I doubt even the iPhone 11 can beat the P30 Pro when it comes to the cameras, battery, other main features and new technologies like in display fingerprint scanners (which it doesn’t have).

I'd care about Huawei phones if they could be purchased in the US, but they cannot, so I don't care.

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Doing the exact opposite here: downgrading my iPhone X to backup-device role, receiving my brand new Note 10 Plus this Friday. All of this after spending some months with a 6T McLaren. Android simply evolved a lot since I last used it (with a Note 3), so, time to try it again until Apple decides to make a truly revolutionary iPhone with a truly new OS. When that happens, I jump back again. Just to jump forth later. I really have no loyalty for any brands, that's just capitalism.

NIZMOZ44

Feb 3, 2018
Visit site
I've always heard that site that does camera reviews whoever pays them gets the phone put on top. Note 10 plus is on top now, but the iPhone will always be on top when it comes out.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Ok.

Going back to the iPhone, do you think DxOmark is biased towards it? They just announced that they will be including ultra-wide angle and night mode performance into their scores (and have updated some phones accordingly so far). Doing this just after the iPhone 11 announcement seems pretty fishy as iPhones are only getting ultra-wide cameras and night modes this year while Samsung, Huawei and Google have had night modes and (for the first two) ultra wide lenses for a while now...
I always take those things with a grain of salt. Remember when Huawei was rated the best after essentially designing a camera tailored specific to their testing? Plus, they review not just the hardware, but also the software, and put a ton of weight into the AI results. If you shoot manual and do your own edits, software means nothing and hardware is everything. Focusing so much on software tricks in the reviews hides potential flaws of the hardware.

bls819522

Aug 18, 2018
Visit site
If Steve Jobs was still alive, the iPhone 11 was never like this. I am glad with my note 10 plus.
I feel like the company would be alot different if in fact Steve was still here with us. I might actually still be an iphone user myself, but I dont think they are doing anything special that warrants a change to them.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I feel like the company would be alot different if in fact Steve was still here with us. I might actually still be an iphone user myself, but I dont think they are doing anything special that warrants a change to them.
One thing Apple is still doing, putting a feature on the iPhone that has been out for 5 years on every other phone and claim innovation.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I think it would be different too, but I don't necessarily think it would be for the better. It's impossible to know for sure, but one thing is for sure, Steve was pretty stubborn. It would be interesting to see what trends he would have resisted and if he came up with some amazing alternative to what we have. Sad that we will never know.

gyounk

Sep 9, 2017
Visit site
I had both the iPhone X and iPhone XS Max, so yes, I know what I'm talking about. FaceID doesn't work in the car, it doesn't work when your phone is lying on your desk, nor does it work when I wear hats/sunglasses. Tell me how that is superior to a fps?

Face Id works in the car. Just have the phone face you and not the ceiling...

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Snark on

Someone has to explain to me why FaceID is different in a car and what is everyone hiding that they have to use Face ID in a car to begin with. Maybe I really don't want to know.

Snark off

Edit @mustang7757

In your case the Gforces from your Mustang distort your face so its understandable.

burwil

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
It's important to remember how you set up face id. If you set it up with the phone held high it may have trouble reading you if you end up opening the phone with it held low. I rarely had any troubles, hat vs no hat. I remember setting it up holding it the same way i open the phone.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
One thing Apple is still doing, putting a feature on the iPhone that has been out for 5 years on every other phone and claim innovation.

Bang on XD. To name just a few features copied and subsequently called and marketed as ‘innovation by Apple’:

-OLED displays
-IP67/68 water resistance
-Wireless charging
-Fast charging
-Triple lens cameras
-Night Mode
-Big batteries

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Bang on XD. To name just a few features copied and subsequently called and marketed as ‘innovation by Apple’:

-OLED displays
-IP67/68 water resistance
-Wireless charging
-Fast charging
-Triple lens cameras
-Night Mode
-Big batteries

When has Apple ever said they came up with any of those things? Perfected or improved them, yes. You have to give them credit for the way they do things. They don’t rush something out but rather do their best to make sure it works well first. Then they support it. Then they make lots of money.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
When has Apple ever said they came up with any of those things? Perfected or improved them, yes. You have to give them credit for the way they do things. They don’t rush something out but rather do their best to make sure it works well first. Then they support it. Then they makes lots of money.

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
When has Apple ever said they came up with any of those things? Perfected or improved them, yes. You have to give them credit for the way they do things. They don’t rush something out but rather do their best to make sure it works well first. Then they support it. Then they make lots of money.
Yeah. They sure did perfect Maps and Siri.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
True..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez