S pen remote problems

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm traveling and taking a lot of pictures. most times when I take my pen out to take a remote photo, it is disconnected. I have turned it on many times again in settings. Bluetooth is on, but I am in airplane mode because I'm overseas and using wifi.

Any help would be appreciated.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm traveling and taking a lot of pictures. most times when I take my pen out to take a remote photo, it is disconnected. I have turned it on many times again in settings. Bluetooth is on, but I am in airplane mode because I'm overseas and using wifi.

If you are in airplane mode, then Bluetooth got turned off. The S Pen doesn't use WiFi.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

When your in airplane mode just toggle Bluetooth on and should work .

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Well crap.

I put my Note 10+ into airplane mode and turned on BT and the button doesn't work. It makes the S Pen work like a regular old S Pen from the Note 8. I can write on the screen, use it as a stylus, but the BT portion doesn't work while in airplane mode. The weird part is that when I turned on BT, my phone connected with my Galaxy Sport.

When I turned airplane mode off, it told me to insert my S Pen and then take it out for the BT functions to work.

Evidently, this is an issue with the Note 9 too.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-note-9/help/airplane-mode-s-pen-detection-t3834468

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site

I figured it out. You need to turn "S Pen air actions" back on. Swipe down to bring up all of your buttons, turn on BT, then, then swipe across until you see "S Pen air actions." Turn it back on.

I got my S Pen to work while in airplane mode.

Update: You don't even need BT turned on. I checked, my BT is turned off and it works.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I figured it out. You need to turn "S Pen air actions" back on. Swipe down to bring up all of your buttons, turn on BT, then, then swipe across until you see "S Pen air actions." Turn it back on.

I got my S Pen to work while in airplane mode.
Yup...

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I tried it earlier also , don't know what to say

I don't know what to say either. All I know is that I put my phone into airplane mode. I then turned S Pen air actions back on. It asked me if I wanted to use the same S Pen or pair with another. I chose, use the same one, pulled it out and when I press and held the button it activated my camera. I then clicked the button again, and it took a picture.

Bluetooth, WiFi, and Mobile Data are all OFF.

The manual says that S Pen uses Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE). I check the user manual and it makes no mention of the toggle S Pen air actions switch. Nor does it show it as one of the buttons available.

Could there be a difference between carrier versions or 5G and non-5G versions? I have the Verizon Note 10+ 5G. What version do you have?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I don't know what to say either. All I know is that I put my phone into airplane mode. I then turned S Pen air actions back on. It asked me if I wanted to use the same S Pen or pair with another. I chose, use the same one, pulled it out and when I press and held the button it activated my camera. I then clicked the button again, and it took a picture.

Bluetooth, WiFi, and Mobile Data are all OFF.

The manual says that S Pen uses Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE). I check the user manual and it makes no mention of the toggle S Pen air actions switch. Nor does it show it as one of the buttons available.

Could there be a difference between carrier versions or 5G and non-5G versions? I have the Verizon Note 10+ 5G. What version do you have?
I have the unlocked Note 10 +
I took my sim card out turned airplane mode on and it disabled wifi , took the S-pen out and air command was off , toggle it on no function from pen with button , turn Bluetooth on while still airplane mode and pen working , but I noticed you have keep checking air command as it turns off

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Have you tried what we been doing?

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I have the unlocked Note 10 +
I took my sim card out turned airplane mode on and it disabled wifi , took the S-pen out and air command was off , toggle it on no function from pen with button , turn Bluetooth on while still airplane mode and pen working , but I noticed you have keep checking air command as it turns off

Hmmm...

Yes. Airplane mode DOES turn off S Pen air actions. Like I said, I turn S Pen air actions back on and after saying I want to connect to the same S Pen it connects to my S Pen and I get full S Pen functionality. I SPECIFICALLY left Bluetooth, Mobile Data, and WiFi OFF.

I wonder what the other carrier versions do.

Anybody else try this?

Here is the experiment:

1. Toggle airplane mode to on. (This will turn off Bluetooth, WiFi, Mobile Data, and S Pen air actions).
2. Toggle S Pen air actions on. (what happens)
3. Once S Pen air actions is on use your S Pen and see if it still has full functionality.
4. Report results to include the following: Phone model (Note 10, Note 10+ Note 10+ 5G), carrier version, or if unlocked which carrier you are on.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm curious if others can chime in , see what they experience also.
Hmmm...

Yes. Airplane mode DOES turn off S Pen air actions. Like I said, I turn S Pen air actions back on and after saying I want to connect to the same S Pen it connects to my S Pen and I get full S Pen functionality. I SPECIFICALLY left Bluetooth, Mobile Data, and WiFi OFF.

I wonder what the other carrier versions do.

Anybody else try this?

Here is the experiment:

1. Toggle airplane mode to on. (This will turn off Bluetooth, WiFi, Mobile Data, and S Pen air actions).
2. Toggle S Pen air actions on. (what happens)
3. Once S Pen air actions is on use your S Pen and see if it still has full functionality.
4. Report results to include the following: Phone model (Note 10, Note 10+ Note 10+ 5G), carrier version, or if unlocked which carrier you are on.

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried what we been doing?

Yeah. I've been using airplane mode several times for different flights or when I don't want to use carrier data. This means that I have to go back into settings daily and turn on air gestures.

The first time I take out the pen, nothing happens. It says insert to re pair. Then it doesn't recognize until I cycle through all of the settings.

BTW, there are Note 10 billboards all over Marrakech. Maybe something to consider when you ask people in a country with low hourly wages to buy a premium phone.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
1. airplane mode on, turn on S Pen air actions
2. screen requesting same or new pen
3. solved my loss of ability to make screen off notes (tytyty) (no BT or wifi)
4. 10+, unlocked, sprint

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699