Screen dead/blank

Blasted_1

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Can you ask Bixby to turn your screen brightness to 100%?

Nice thought but other than the routines, I don't touch Bixby.

What carrier?? I'd imagine if you were able to force reboot or shutdown the phone, you'd at least see the Carrier logo before Android even boots up. I'm on AT&T so I have to see their logo everytime I start/restart the phone. That would give you an idea if the display is working??

Phone was bought direct from Samsung. Plus, my carrier is a provincial carrier, so they don't do any branding other than have their own piece of software on the devices when you put it on the network.

Device is in the hands of the repair people. Hopefully find out later today what the status is. Sounds like they either have to order parts in OR send it back to Samsung for repair.

My kids old S7 is setup and rocking already so I'm set for now. Damn...weird being able to reach everything on the screen with one hand. See how Genshin Impact handles on it or Game Pass playing Doom Eternal.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Device is in the hands of the repair people. Hopefully find out later today what the status is. Sounds like they either have to order parts in OR send it back to Samsung for repair.

That's cool... now that it's with repair it'll be back running one way or another. Non-carrier... I think it still boots a Samsung logo when the phone boots/restarts. If you didn't see that then I would guess it's a hardware issue anyways.

Let us know what the repair guy determined the problem was.

Blasted_1

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
That's cool... now that it's with repair it'll be back running one way or another. Non-carrier... I think it still boots a Samsung logo when the phone boots/restarts. If you didn't see that then I would guess it's a hardware issue anyways.

Let us know what the repair guy determined the problem was.

Yeah. No logo of any kind no matter what I did.

Depot guy says they can't get the part in so off to Samsung it goes. Hopefully back in 2 weeks.

Blasted_1

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Gosh I hope you get it sorted. 2 weeks is a long time without your phone.

Well, I have my old S7 right now working just fine. It does the trick. I was thinking of ordering a S20FE through my carrier, and see which gets here first!

At the same time, maybe I should tell Samsung to send me a Z Fold 2 instead of my N20U, and I'll pay the difference. Lol

jhnnyblze2000

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Go for the fold!!! Lol.
Well, I have my old S7 right now working just fine. It does the trick. I was thinking of ordering a S20FE through my carrier, and see which gets here first!

At the same time, maybe I should tell Samsung to send me a Z Fold 2 instead of my N20U, and I'll pay the difference. Lol

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Would you be able to connect it to a touch screen, DeX should start automatically, maybe you will be able to troubleshoot that way

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Sounds to me as if the LED layer just went. (If you hold the screen at a very flat angle you can sometimes see a little ghosty "screen" in there.) Samsung doesn't repair that, they just replace the screen.

But if it's the screen LED driver (the LED layer is controlled - that's how the screen brightness gets changed), they'll replace the motherboard too. So I sure hope you (referring to Blasted_1) have everything backed up. The new motherboard won't have any of your installed apps, your music, pictures, videos, etc.

Blasted_1

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Sounds to me as if the LED layer just went. (If you hold the screen at a very flat angle you can sometimes see a little ghosty "screen" in there.) Samsung doesn't repair that, they just replace the screen.

But if it's the screen LED driver (the LED layer is controlled - that's how the screen brightness gets changed), they'll replace the motherboard too. So I sure hope you (referring to Blasted_1) have everything backed up. The new motherboard won't have any of your installed apps, your music, pictures, videos, etc.

Everything I have/need is in the cloud or on the 256GB card that keeps hopping phones. So not too worried there.

Blasted_1

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
So tonight will be three weeks since my phone screen went kaput.

Apparently Samsung is having problems trying to get into my phone. I gave them passwords to get in through the local repair depot that I have to deal with. Just factory reset the darn thing and go from there!

Hoping they gave their heads a shake and can get it done.

Sheesh.

Blasted_1

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
So my device is back. Not sure all what was done but everything seems to be working just fine on it. Yay.

Now the process of slowly setting it up...again.

And it wasn't "Samsung" repairing it. It was FutureTel in Markham, ON. Same place that fixed my Galaxy Buds oh so far back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez