Verizon Note 3 is factory sim unlocked

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
In case anyone was wondering, the Verizon Note 3 is factory sim unlocked. No need for root or anything. I tested a straight talk sim using tmobile and was able to get calls. Edited the apn and got data H+. Verizon does support band 4 lte, perhaps the band is locked now, but H+ worked just fine.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk 4

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. You may have no idea, but I was over at Imore last week and they were saying the Iphone 5S VZW supports a lot more bands than previous versions and that it is possible to get At&T and TMobile LTE in addition to HSPA+. Does the Note 3 offer the same support?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. You may have no idea, but I was over at Imore last week and they were saying the Iphone 5S VZW supports a lot more bands than previous versions and that it is possible to get At&T and TMobile LTE in addition to HSPA+. Does the Note 3 offer the same support?

The 5s and 5c support all bands that tmo and att support. They are the same device, Verizon version having additional cdma radios.

Note 3, lesser, it only supports band 4 and 13 lte, and band 4 may be currently locked, I was not able to get 4glte on tmobile, but I didn't really try that long since I was borrowing a coworkers sim for a minute. TMobile LTE is band 4, att secondary band is band 4 as well, but used in limited areas. It doesn't support band 17,att primary 4GLTE. It does support H+ in refarmed areas on tmobile, I was able to connect to this. Interestingly tmobile Note 3 supports att band 17 4GLTE

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1381513475714.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1381513475714.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 346

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Thank you. Would like to hear the same (or not) from a Verizon customer. Tired already to ask the same damn question in every other thread. :(

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Thank you. Would like to hear the same (or not) from a Verizon customer. Tired already to ask the same damn question in every other thread. :(

Where is the sticker? I didn't see it on my phone, but I did not really look

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
This is what that whole hullabaloo has been all about on the XDA forum for days and days. That would be doubly crappy if the stores remove these stickers so that the customers don't see them. After all, people outside the US discovered that their newer S3s and S4s had been region locked and nobody told them.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
There was an opinion that US carriers lock carriers, instead of regions. But dphm00 seems to be refuting this.

I am simply referring to my Verizon note 3. I doubt that the att or TMobile Note 3 would be factory sim unlocked.

As to region lock, I have not tested, so I don't know

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
There was an opinion that US carriers lock carriers, instead of regions. But dphm00 seems to be refuting this.

It could be too that the Verizon edition is more open than the AT&T one and possibly also Tmobile. All of Verizon's 4G phones IIRC are factory sim unlocked as part of the condition for their use of the 700 band LTE spectrum.

I thought it was funny when a few AT&T customers were recommending that people buy the VZW Iphone if they were going to pay full price anyway. It actually makes sense when you consider that it can function uninhibited on all the U.S. Networks except Sprint.

If they ever had a Verizon Android phone with the same band support, I might buy it. As someone said, I'm sure Verizon cries tears of rage, knowing that the Iphone 5s can be taken directly to Tmobile and AT&T, but they have no choice because of their deal to get the 700 spectrum.

I just wish Verizon would get the next Nexus, but maybe the VZW Note 4 will support the other bands.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It could be too that the Verizon edition is more open than the AT&T one and possibly also Tmobile. All of Verizon's 4G phones IIRC are factory sim unlocked as part of the condition for their use of the 700 band LTE spectrum.

I thought it was funny when a few AT&T customers were recommending that people buy the VZW Iphone if they were going to pay full price anyway. It actually makes sense when you consider that it can function uninhibited on all the U.S. Networks except Sprint.

If they ever had a Verizon Android phone with the same band support, I might buy it. As someone said, I'm sure Verizon cries tears of rage, knowing that the Iphone 5s can be taken directly to Tmobile and AT&T, but they have no choice because of their deal to get the 700 spectrum.

I just wish Verizon would get the next Nexus, but maybe the VZW Note 4 will support the other bands.

The s3 was not factory sim unlocked. It was unlocked later via update. There may be other phones too.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
This may or may not be relevant, but when we spent last weekend with a couple from Germany and another, from England, at the drop of the hat they whip out their iPhones, and immediately connect to AT&T. They also didn't show much concern about the roaming charges. Go figure.

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
So, for the sake of clarity...

I can use a Verizon Note 3 (or any new Verizon smartphone) on any carrier but Sprint? Whether it is nationwide OR global? So when I go to, say France, I can buy a prepaid SIM card and call it a day? All this so that Verizon can get some primo spectrum?

Am I missing something/not taking something into account?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
So, for the sake of clarity...

I can use a Verizon Note 3 (or any new Verizon smartphone) on any carrier but Sprint? Whether it is nationwide OR global? So when I go to, say France, I can buy a prepaid SIM card and call it a day? All this so that Verizon can get some primo spectrum?

Am I missing something/not taking something into account?

Yes these phones are global roamers.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Yes these phones are global roamers.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

So stupid question number 2...

Why does Verizon want me to contact them when I go out of the country and get their Global plan or whatever? (Hence stupid question, because I have a feeling I know what the answer is...)

Semi-stupid question: If I do go to say, Europe, I don't have to call Verizon and tell them to unlock it or whatever, because it's already unlocked?

I don't do any real International travel (Canada and Jamaica were two places I've been to...that's it), but I know Europe is in my future...very possible next year or the year after. I have heard real horror stories about folks bringing their Verizon phones and they were incurring charges in the hundreds if not thousands. Getting a prepaid sim over there and popping it in like it's nothing would be very clutch, but I had no idea you could do that on Verizon phones.