Galaxy gear smart watch worth it?

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
After reading many reviews, I have decided not to get one. The main problem I saw with the Galaxy Gear is that the battery life absolutely sucks. It gets about a day's worth of use with heavy usage. And the charger it comes with is cheap and awkward.

If Samsung gives them away for free, I may use it. I will not pay $299 for it.

I get two days (and it's only down to around 40%) with moderate usage on the Gear's battery. I think the reviews must have been from the initial charge, as I don't see how they could get less than a day. Or, the review units were not as good as the retail units. I think that the charger is different, but I won't call it cheap and awkward.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I got my note 3 for $90 and was considering the gg, which would be $225 with corporate discount from Verizon. But saw it in store and still a bit iffy on it.

How is it reading say 10 emails on the gg? Can you click on hyperlinks and take you to the browser?

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

You can read the emails to your heart's content on the Gear; it only gives you the first part of the email so if people send you long emails, you will only get the first several lines of it. There is no way to respond to emails (at least I haven't found one). Most work emails that I get I either read only, or I have to take action on my work computer based on the email. The Gear works for me as I rarely responded to emails from my phone if I'm physically in my workplace so not responding from the Gear fits my work needs.

There is no browser on the Gear (that I'm aware of), so clicking on links is not an option.

RealRyhailey

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
So I've had it on for 12 hours now and have been tinkering with it damn near all night at work and I'm at 80% battery life remaining. That's pretty freaking good.

Tappin on the Note 3 via TapTalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You can read the emails to your heart's content on the Gear; it only gives you the first part of the email so if people send you long emails, you will only get the first several lines of it. There is no way to respond to emails (at least I haven't found one). Most work emails that I get I either read only, or I have to take action on my work computer based on the email. The Gear works for me as I rarely responded to emails from my phone if I'm physically in my workplace so not responding from the Gear fits my work needs.

There is no browser on the Gear (that I'm aware of), so clicking on links is not an option.

Is this all you see? Can't scroll down more?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1381674657022.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1381674657022.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 32

bojackr1

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm totally in love with my GG! The price is what it is, and it's totally worth the $299 price tag. The functionality, battery life, and camera all make it a great device.

Posted via Android Central App

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Is this all you see? Can't scroll down more?

I can see more than that on my emails. Since most of the emails that I receive aren't very long, I can see the entire email. There have been email chains that I received where I was able to read around three of the prior emails in the chain. I haven't counted, but my guess is that you get around 20 lines of text on the screen.

I know that you directed this toward Das, but I jumped in in the interim to try to answer this for you.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I can see more than that on my emails. Since most of the emails that I receive aren't very long, I can see the entire email. There have been email chains that I received where I was able to read around three of the prior emails in the chain. I haven't counted, but my guess is that you get around 20 lines of text on the screen.

I know that you directed this toward Das, but I jumped in in the interim to try to answer this for you.

Thanks. I like the concept of gg, just wanted to make sure that it works for me. Also, no pictures supported? Can you delete emails from gg? Also, I am not really into voice control. How is it working without voice?

Jonbo298

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm enjoying mine so far. Difficult to say $299 worthy. $199 seems more of a sweet spot unless they greatly increase the number of compatible apps. I have no issues with battery life.

I turned off the motion sensing to wake it up. Button only is fine for me and battery could last days easily.

Posted via Android Central App

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I like the concept of gg, just wanted to make sure that it works for me. Also, no pictures supported? Can you delete emails from gg? Also, I am not really into voice control. How is it working without voice?

I don't know about actual photos, but I know that images such as the one that we use in our email signatures at work are not supported. You can delete emails from the Gear itself, but I haven't tested to see if this delete action will delete from the server, as well. I only use voice actions when dictating a text message response. I haven't used the other voice actions yet, so you can navigate fully (with the exception of text message replies) without using voice control.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I thought the Gear was nifty but for $300 I could get a 32GB Nexus 7 and a case for it...so I returned the Gear and got the Nexus 7. I may pick up another Gear at some point if I end up missing it.

from my '14 Note 10.1

A little off topic, but how do you like the Nexus 7, and which one did you get? I got my wife one way back when the Nexus 7 came out with the 32gb version for the same $250 they were charging for the Nexus 7 16gb. Now, I was going to get myself one, but then I saw the S4, which IMO, was good enough to be my phone and do tablet duties too. Well, I returned the S4 for lack of memory. But, when the Note 3 came on, it was the Killer. It was an S4 on steriods, and it surely, with me that is, takes the place of a Tablet for me.

octobermagic

Jun 9, 2010
www.facebook.com
If I did need to be connected & have constant communication like you do, it might add more value : ) Gear is not for everybody. Glad your loving it & it seems to suit you very nicely!

Cheers, Jon

Don't we all need this in one shape or form? Isn't this why we carry around a smart phone in the first place?

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Don't we all need this in one shape or form? Isn't this why we carry around a smart phone in the first place?

It varies by person what the need for constant contact is. I will say that I use smartphones for my personal enjoyment more than anything else. I don't have family members that need to contact me about something "urgent" on a regular basis. My job does not require that I'm on email 24 hours a day.

I use smartphones because I like to be able to browse the internet whenever I want to, use GPS and many of the apps are useful in everyday life. If I miss a call or a text message, there is no harm in me returning the call or message four hours later. Some people have spouses that would have called the police by then.

That said, I do enjoy the convenience that the Gear brings. I have fewer missed text messages because of the Gear and appreciate the event reminders coming through something that is always on my person and I can feel the vibration of.

bad1550

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I got my note 3 for $90 and was considering the gg, which would be $225 with corporate discount from Verizon. But saw it in store and still a bit iffy on it.

How is it reading say 10 emails on the gg? Can you click on hyperlinks and take you to the browser?

I tried in store and online customer service and they would not apply my 25 percent off corporate discount. Was told that high end accessories do not qualify. Anyone have any luck?

titaniumSS

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I would say it's worth it for a little less retail and without the camera. Not every work place or place I volunteer at enjoys a camera being out all the time. I just ordered a nicer wrist watch and will probably get the Fitbit Force to complement it for my fitness needs. I will wait for Samsung to improve on the software and hopefully have a model option without a camera.

stan23

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Side note - I had the '13 Nexus 7 and it is an awesome device. I sold it because it was just too close to the size of the N3. I prefer to use the N3 in bed, so the Nexus 7 didn't see much use anymore. I do love the build quality and the wireless charging ability.

I'm now looking for either a Nexus 10 or the '14 Note 10.1.

titaniumSS

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Side note - I had the '13 Nexus 7 and it is an awesome device. I sold it because it was just too close to the size of the N3. I prefer to use the N3 in bed, so the Nexus 7 didn't see much use anymore. I do love the build quality and the wireless charging ability.

I'm now looking for either a Nexus 10 or the '14 Note 10.1.

Mine is now a dedicated gaming device and powerpoint viewer, lol.

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about actual photos, but I know that images such as the one that we use in our email signatures at work are not supported. You can delete emails from the Gear itself, but I haven't tested to see if this delete action will delete from the server, as well. I only use voice actions when dictating a text message response. I haven't used the other voice actions yet, so you can navigate fully (with the exception of text message replies) without using voice control.

question.....can the watch be worn either way? with the camera strap on the inside of your wrist, toward your body, instead of pointing out.......might be handy for situations where the camera visible is not good......just a thought, mine is coming early next week......

not inside as in against your skin.....but just flip the phone around and secure the clasp upside down....does the screen rotate?

nooaah

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Let's realize, if this was an Apple product, all those reviewers would be referring to this as "Revolutionary".

I had doubts, but the proof was in the pudding. I bought one, and really like it a lot. Just the phone call feature alone is magnificent, let alone everything else DAS described, make it a worthy product.

I just hope Samsung puts some weight behind the development for this. This product has made me see the value of a smart watch.

If this were an Apple product, you'd be panning it and Jonny Ive would be fired if he had a hand in designing it.