Note 3 getting 4.4 Kitkat Update?

AcemanX AcemanX

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone had heard or read about the Note 3 getting 4.4 when it comes out? I love that we got 4.3 out of the box, but just curious if we will get an update from Samsung once kitkat is out like they are for the Note 2 I just read about in an article...thanks, and btw i adore my note 3, it's the fastest most advanced phone in the world

Dronak

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if there's been any official statement yet, but I think the general expectation is that the Note 3 will get an update to Kit Kat. Wasn't there a push from Google a while ago to get manufacturers to support OS upgrades on their handsets for 18 months? I'd be pretty surprised if the Note 3, a brand new device, doesn't get Android 4.4, an OS released shortly after the device, at some point. But as still1 said, I wouldn't expect it any time soon. My experience with my old original Galaxy S phone was that it took around 9-10 months to get OS updates, if they came at all. Six months wouldn't be too bad compared to that, but I think other manufacturers were able to do 2-3 months in the past. I'm not sure why Samsung can't or won't do the same. But yeah, I think we'll get Kit Kat, after waiting most of a year from its release.

ryanjma

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure if there's been any official statement yet, but I think the general expectation is that the Note 3 will get an update to Kit Kat. Wasn't there a push from Google a while ago to get manufacturers to support OS upgrades on their handsets for 18 months? I'd be pretty surprised if the Note 3, a brand new device, doesn't get Android 4.4, an OS released shortly after the device, at some point. But as still1 said, I wouldn't expect it any time soon. My experience with my old original Galaxy S phone was that it took around 9-10 months to get OS updates, if they came at all. Six months wouldn't be too bad compared to that, but I think other manufacturers were able to do 2-3 months in the past. I'm not sure why Samsung can't or won't do the same. But yeah, I think we'll get Kit Kat, after waiting most of a year from its release.

This is my only issue with Android, is that it takes some time to get a big OS update. I can understand why it takes time because of the different UI's like Touch Wiz.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The problem is this isn't android. It is android based. Oems really hack what android is at its core. If you want android when it is updated we need to get a pure android phone. A nexus basically. But to the op's point, it took ATT about 4 months to release ICS on my OG Notethe about 8 months later JB 4.1.2. Generally it was about 4-6 months after Samsung released the update to the international version.

Posted via Android Central App

ryanjma

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
The problem is this isn't android. It is android based. Oems really hack what android is at its core. If you want android when it is updated we need to get a pure android phone. A nexus basically.

So similar to this then, would the Nexus 7 be getting the upgrade asap? And the Nexus 4?

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Nexus devices generally get it withing 2-3 weeks of Google announcing it via OTA.

Samsung will generally distribute updates via KIES which is a whole different conversation.

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
not only do you have to wait for samsung to do their thing with it but after that the carriers get their meat hooks on it and mess with it some more

DavidN1966

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Yes the note 3 will get kit kat when the moon is black with green dots in the middle of a snow storm on the 39th of June 2032..... face it the note 2 is still waiting for its 1st update it got an update of b.s a few weeks ago that was just that b.s

Sent From My Beast The Note 3

Last edited:

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
My opinion is we won't wait very long once it is released. Its only when they are within 4 months or so of releasing the next version of the phone do they hold back or delay updates.

THE BEAST,,NOTE 3. SIZE IS EVERYTHING!!!

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Yes the note 3 will get kit kat when the moon is black with green dots in the middle of a snow storm on the 39th of June 2032..... face it the note 2 is still waiting for its 1st update it got an update of b.s a few weeks ago that was just that b.s

This.

from a Note III

DavidN1966

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Yes I had the note 2 and waited for the update and when it so called did it was nothing that you couldn't of updated yourself from the play store

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I will go out on a limb and say YES! We will get KK 4.4 the GN3 was just launched and their is no way Samsung is going to drop the ball. They are updating the GS3, GS4 and GN2 to 4.3 alone jus so they can support GG and trust me they will want 4.4 on those phones a well.

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
According to this article ...http://androidadvices.com/list-andr...tkat-firmware-update/...........yes.......the note 3 is in the list of getting the Kit Kat ......... is supposed to come out at the end of this month.......... I just don't know if TMobile will be releasing it at the same time.........

I don't believe for a second that we will see an official 4.4 update at the end if the month. I have my doubts that it will be even this year.

Dronak

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
not only do you have to wait for samsung to do their thing with it but after that the carriers get their meat hooks on it and mess with it some more

Right, and I think this is a big reason updates tend to take so long. And I do understand that it takes some time for makers to get updates out because they do change things from standard, default Android. But IIRC there were some makers, I think that HTC was one, who were able to push out OS updates in 2-3 months. Meanwhile, Samsung (at least on Sprint, my carrier) was taking 9-10 months to get their updates released. This was around the time of Froyo and Gingerbread, but still, that's a pretty big difference. If other makers can finish an OS update in a few months, why does Samsung need most of a year?

Andrawer

May 31, 2011
Visit site

Awesome, I added this reminder to my calendar...39th of June 2032.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Because we are so close to black Friday I am willing to bet that the newest devices will have the newest software,, just a hunch.

THE BEAST,,NOTE 3. SIZE IS EVERYTHING!!!

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
It's possible that it'll get 4.4 but who knows when that will happen.

The best way to get quick updates is to either get a Nexus device or root. Devs usually cook up a ROM update pretty quickly. I'm running 4.3 on my Note 2 right now :)