Reboot loop when I lost cell connection

Gadgetdude

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I had originally posted this in reply to another thread but realized after that it was in the Verizon sub-forum and this may be applicable across all carriers.

I had a random re-boot event yesterday and I think the circumstances make it a bit unique. I've had the GN3 from Verizon for about 10 days and which updated a few days after I got it. I had never had any reboots or instability until the situation yesterday. I was at a client in a new building for a few hours. I'm in an area with normally dense coverage but when I arrived someone commented how cell coverage was an issue in this building. Sure enough I noticed that I bumped down to 3G with only 1-2 bars / data access was slow and spotty. I linked in to the local Wifi (secured but with vendor access) and used my phone for email etc. for about an hour without issue. I then moved into an auditorium and noticed that the cell signal was completely gone (circle with a line through it icon) but because of the Wifi I didn't think much of it. I was sitting in a presentation when I felt the phone vibrate and to my surprise it was re-booting! At first I thought maybe there been some kind of update or I had pressed something in my pocket but after the reboot about 90 seconds later it did it again while I was watching. This went on 3-4 times in a 10 minute span while I checked things and tried to figure out what was going on. I turned off the Wifi but it kept rebooting, I turned off the cell data network and finally just went into airplane mode and it stopped. Once I left the auditorium and was back outside I turned all the radios back on and everything was fine - that was 24 hours ago and it has never rebooted since - this was DEFINITELY due to being in that auditorium with no cell signal.

After a bit of research I did check into the WiFi settings under "Advanced" and the “Scanning always available" box was already unchecked which is an option that others have reported may cause reboots - so that wasn't my problem.

One other weird thing - when it was rebooting and after unlocking I kept getting a prompt to log in which I first thought it was to my Google account but I realized it was forcing me to re-log in to the Samsung account I was forced to create to download the high quality voice for Google maps. It was very persistent and would not let me out of that screen until I got the right password and it authenticated. It really made me wonder if this reboot issue was something to do with the combination some kind of Samsung account/log in thing and the loss of the cell data network.

I have not been able to reproduce the issues but I was wondering if anyone else has seen this - your thoughts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress