USB 3 charging: Faster? HOW MUCH FASTER?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
That is correct, 900ma is the max, do you happen to know if all usb 3 equipped computers can deliver that though? I have one on my desktop that does, but a friend of mine has a laptop that I wonder about, I haven't checked it yet for him, but he thinks it's only outputting 500ma or so, maybe a hardware problem, but i'm curious if the output current should be 900ma to meet the standard to be advertised as 3.0

Well usb 3.0 spec requires it... So if it doesn't provide 900ma,then it isn't supposed to be labeled usb 3.0. Of course who knows what manufacturers really do.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
USB 3 has a MAXIMUM current rating of 900mA. The "standard" is still at 500mA, some at 750mA. If your computer is using a 'splitter bus' it's sharing power between all ports, maybe that's why you'll also notice a lower current output if you're powering different devices.

Oh, and actually there is the mythical USB Power Port since USB 2, which in theory would go up to 5A...but I still haven't seen computers with a port like this, only a few wall chargers.

- - - Updated - - -

The Note 3 is limited to 2a,Even on my 8a charger.

WOW! You have an 8A charger??!! What for? hahaha talk about killing a fly with a cannon... It would be cool if the phone could stand it, though... Super fast charging! :O

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It is fine. Even if the car only had a 10a fuse on the cigarette lighter, that is still 120W.

5v @ 2.4a is only 12W. Granted there is some loss going from 12v to 5v,but it should be well within limit

My car has an outlet with a 2.5A fuse. Don't know why haha but it does. Better be safe than with a blown fuse :p

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
USB 3 has a MAXIMUM current rating of 900mA. The "standard" is still at 500mA, some at 750mA. If your computer is using a 'splitter bus' it's sharing power between all ports, maybe that's why you'll also notice a lower current output if you're powering different devices.

Oh, and actually there is the mythical USB Power Port since USB 2, which in theory would go up to 5A...but I still haven't seen computers with a port like this, only a few wall chargers.

- - - Updated - - -

WOW! You have an 8A charger??!! What for? hahaha talk about killing a fly with a cannon... It would be cool if the phone could stand it, though... Super fast charging! :O

I have a 5 port 8a charger. It auto senses the power needed by each port. Supposedly it can provide 3a to chrome books. But the Note 3 won't accept more than 2a anyway

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
My car has an outlet with a 2.5A fuse. Don't know why haha but it does. Better be safe than with a blown fuse :p

2.5a fuse is a bit small. I have used a power inverter to power my laptop and no issues. You can check the manual or service manual, it should indicate fuse size and location. Or there is sometimes a fuse card. Really no damage except you would need to replace the fuse. They make 4.8a car chargers so I am assuming most cars can take it.

2.4a 5v us only 1a at 12v

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
2.5a fuse is a bit small. I have used a power inverter to power my laptop and no issues. You can check the manual or service manual, it should indicate fuse size and location. Or there is sometimes a fuse card. Really no damage except you would need to replace the fuse. They make 4.8a car chargers so I am assuming most cars can take it.

2.4a 5v us only 1a at 12v

Yup, that's why it has a second outlet with a 15A fuse. Don't know why they chose to do it that way, though... hardly ever use it anyway.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I have a 5 port 8a charger. It auto senses the power needed by each port. Supposedly it can provide 3a to chrome books. But the Note 3 won't accept more than 2a anyway

Ooooohhhh a multiport charger...yeah, that makes more sense. For a minute there I thought you had a single-port charger firing 8A lasers :p

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Ooooohhhh a multiport charger...yeah, that makes more sense. For a minute there I thought you had a single-port charger firing 8A lasers :p

I don't think that any devices will accept 8a anyway

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
With the stock wall charger and cable, my Note 3 went from 5% to 80% in 1.25 hours (pretty fast!)

In contrast, trying to get it from 97% to 100% took far longer than 5 minutes like I assumed (if the rate was the same across the spectrum of charged-ness.

-Mike

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
With the stock wall charger and cable, my Note 3 went from 5% to 80% in 1.25 hours (pretty fast!)

In contrast, trying to get it from 97% to 100% took far longer than 5 minutes like I assumed (if the rate was the same across the spectrum of charged-ness.

-Mike

Charging slows once you hit 85%

y7esegas.jpg

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
So I wasn't going crazy when I timed 90 minutes dead, twice, for 7% to 100%.
0%, or 1% at shutdown, took 1h 55 mins to 100, so I figured the first 10% were the slowest.

Still trying to figure out that Battery Monitor widget graph, I should download it.

"All in the Best Possible Taste" via my Note 3 on AC's app

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Galaxy S3 USB 2.0 charger & cable delivers 1200 ma to my note 3, which is the same as the stock Note 3 charger & cable!

As reported by Gsam Battery Monitor Pro.

When just running on battery, it reports 450ma

1200ma.jpg

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Right it is limited by the charger. If you used the note 2 charger then you would get a higher charge rate

Isc73

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
There's definitely a difference on charging speed as well as data transfer

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Are you saying that 1200ma from the note3 wall charger via its usb3 is faster than the galaxy s3 charger with its usb 2?

(I do realize that data transfer via usb 3.0 is much faster).

Mike

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Are you saying that 1200ma from the note3 wall charger via its usb3 is faster than the galaxy s3 charger with its usb 2?

(I do realize that data transfer via usb 3.0 is much faster).

Mike

The note 3 power supply should be 2 amp, the "charger" is actually built in, you need to understand that the charging algorithm will change the charging current as the battery charges, battery temp, and percent of charge will affect charging rate, you will probably see Max charge rate between 20% and 80%, depending on temp, I believe it is showing you current charge rate, not maximum. And yes, 3.0 is much faster at data transfer, from a USB 3.0 port, the USB 3.0 cable makes NO difference if using a 2.0 port

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
The note 3 power supply should be 2 amp, the "charger" is actually built in, you need to understand that the charging algorithm will change the charging current as the battery charges, battery temp, and percent of charge will affect charging rate, you will probably see Max charge rate between 20% and 80%, depending on temp, I believe it is showing you current charge rate, not maximum. And yes, 3.0 is much faster at data transfer, from a USB 3.0 port, the USB 3.0 cable makes NO difference if using a 2.0 port

Thanks for that.
@pcguys question really confused me. So it puts out (n3 charger) 2.0 A nominally as stated, but may read 1.2A during the process.
How can I put my hair back in?

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for that.
@pcguys question really confused me. So it puts out (n3 charger) 2.0 A nominally as stated, but may read 1.2A during the process.
How can I put my hair back in?

Correct, the device decides how much of that 2 amp to use, it will generally start out high, and come down as charge comes up, it will taper way off after the battery reaches about 95%, battery temperature also has a hugh effect on charge rate. Also, due to resistance, that 2.0 amp power supply will only be able to deliver approximately 1.8 amp to the phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez