Note 4: To Edge or not to Edge, that is the Question.

Are you getting the Note 4 or Note Edge?

• Total voters

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Re: To Edge or not to Edge, that is the Question.

I'm kind of on the fence about the Edge now given that the Gear VR doesn't work with it which is disappointing. Plus the Edge's usability really depends on third parties adopting it.

xxx420

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site

Note 4. Edge at this point is just a glorified dock and status bar. There are apps like cover which already give functionalities like what edge offers for the lock screen and I'm fine just keeping my apps in the dock on the home screen.

Posted via Android Central App

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site

I would never even consider the Edge. I've learned from the galaxy gear and gear 2 neo not to be an early adopter. This is one of those things that sounds good in theory but in real life just isn't that practical. How useful can an independent small-ish screen be? Not much IMO. I will once again break the bank and give in to my technology feen and get the Note 4. Coming from an M8 people probably think i'm crazy. I tried something different, I liked it, now give me back my Samsung! Also the new Gear seems to be a real improvement....

dllrogers55

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

My first thought was what a protective case would look like on the Edge! Dumb was my second thought. Cool design for those who want a different looking display than the rest out there!

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site

I would never even consider the Edge. I've learned from the galaxy gear and gear 2 neo not to be an early adopter. This is one of those things that sounds good in theory but in real life just isn't that practical. How useful can an independent small-ish screen be? Not much IMO. I will once again break the bank and give in to my technology feen and get the Note 4. Coming from an M8 people probably think i'm crazy. I tried something different, I liked it, now give me back my Samsung! Also the new Gear seems to be a real improvement....

I'm coming from an S5. I love it but I have regretted getting rid of the Note 3. I like the Note line so much more.

qbnkelt

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
To Edge or not to Edge, that is the Question.

I like the Edge but its thickness is a bit of a turn off. I think I'm going with my original plan to get the Note 4.
Of course it could all change as soon as I see it!!!!

Sent from my AWESOME 64G gold iPhone 5s

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I would definitely take the Galaxy Note Edge. The design is really unique. I can't wait to see it in person.

Sent from my Sony Xperia L

Last edited:

Teejai80

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site

I agree with above that is really good to see Samsung coming up with new ideas like this. I really like the idea of the edge, just not really the implementation for me. Looks to difficult to use in the hand. I could see this working very, very well on a tablet though! Imagine a 7" or 10" tablet. Watching a movie and still screen messages without losing full screen.

lazerproof

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site

Haven't seen anything that impresses me so far with the Edge, however, I will be watching what developers do with it and if their will be any Roms. I may buy the Edge 2 if their ever is such a thing.

pwscott

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

It's 'thickness'? How much thicker is the Edge than the Note 4??

I like the Edge but its thickness is a bit of a turn off. I think I'm going with my original plan to get the Note 4.
Of course it could all change as soon as I see it!!!!

qbnkelt

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site

It's 'thickness'? How much thicker is the Edge than the Note 4??

There seems to be increased thickness towards the middle of the back that might make a difference when it lays on a table. And overall the pictures show it to be thicker.

If have to hold both. At first glance I prefer the Note 4 and I'm leaning towards it.

Statastic

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

I like both devices, but if I were to go with one I would take the Note 4. Not sure what kind of protection you could possibly put on the Edge or if it will even be able to use a tempered glass protector. I think this first Edge will be for testing the waters and the next version they release will be much better and maybe even have both sides covered.

Posted via Android Central App

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site

I think I'm sold on it but need to play with it first.

I suspect it won't be as useful at first as it eventually becomes. I can think of lots of cool uses. Like, say you're in an ebay auction and the ebay app supports "ticker" updates on the edge of the Edge. Or you're playing music while reading an ebook, and the edge has the music controls handy instead of having to resort to Samsung's dual screen applet to go back and forth.

But I need to have hands-on and get some good examples of practical applications that will be meaningful. And then as some have pointed out, the price will be an issue. If it is much higher, that will be a problem for what seems to be an unknown albeit cool-factor feature at the moment.

And like some others say, it may well be worth waiting to see how this shakes out--even if it means waiting for Edge 2.

It looks cool!

And there we are. I feel so....cheap being impressed by the cool-factor. I confess, I still want badly to try it. :)

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

I agree with some others, gimmicky. It doesn't offer anything one can't already do several different ways.
I get the "cool" aspects of products and have been guilty of buying for just that reason; unfortunately I do not see this as a "cool feature".

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site

Why wasn't there an option in the poll for "Both"? I like both devices too much to make a decision now. Since the Note 4 will be released first (most likely), I may have to get both of these to be satisfied.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

I find most of the posts in this thread to be humorous.

"It's not practical." How do you know? You've not even seen one in person, but less used one.
"It doesn't provide any useful functions." "It's just a dock" Well, I think some of the functions look interesting, and if you read the hands-on you'd know it does more than that, and it's an open API. It will be interesting to see if, and how, developers implement it, but I see some useful functions already.
"It's too thick!" Actually, it's .2mm thinner than the Note 4, a difference no one will notice
"The edge has too many flaws." Really? What flaws? How much hands on time did it take you to notice them?

There are real questions: Will developers support it? Will custom ROMs support it? (Probably only Touchwize based ROMs, but they can have AOSP skins.) Will alternate launchers support it? (I bet Nova will.) If you're a case user, the design seems to present a problem. I' don't use cases, but I do worry how easily is will break if dropped, and the cost to repair it. This is one phone I'd seriously consider insurance for.

At the moment, there are just too many unknowns for anyone to be so certain in their opinion, either pro or con. Let's wait until the thing is actually available, AC and others do real reviews, and we can trot down the store and play with it ourselves. The form opinions based on fact, not speculation and misinformation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress