Note 4 - Samsung $200 trade in promotion

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Re: samsung $200 trade in promotion

AT&T has an early upgrade after 18 months but you can only do it directly through AT&T not any of the 3rd party resellers.

Jun Watanabe

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site

This is going to make me not get this phone since I can't afford $699 + upgrade fee + taxes and other fees right now. This sucks.

Note 2 via Android Central App

May I ask what your carrier and your plan is? I'm curious about this upgrade fee. The 699 is a Verizon price, and I'm guessing you have a grandfathered unlimited data. I know you can't but a subsidized phone if you want to keep your data plan.

Maybe you can trade in a phone and get a gift card at BB, for example, and maybe submit that paperwork to Sammy? But it is risky.

67srbell

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site

"Additionally, apparently the $200 gift card is mailed after the return date of 14 days expires."

So you are saying the $200 BB giftcard can not be used towards the phone purchase?

There are a number of posts on this thread that state the BB giftcard can be used towards the phone purchase price.

One thing's for sure, this promotion is ridiculously confusing.

Yes, there are a lot of confusion and conflicting reports regarding this promotion.

First, the Best Buy Samsung rep told me that you can use the rebate right away when purchasing the N4 outright, but then the store manager said no, that isn't true (you get a gift card after the return period ends).

If you think about it, guys, it does make more sense for Best Buy to give us a gift card when the return period expires. This way, they don't have to deal w discounting and dealing with returns at the same time.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

If that's the case I'm ordering & trading through Amazon and using the Samsung rebate because I don't want a BB giftcard that can't be used towards the Note 4 purchase. I don't get the rationale, if someone were returning a phone purchased with the giftcard it would be on the receipt and BB would have an internal record of it. It's not like they'd be refunding the giftcard amount.

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site

If that's the case I'm ordering & trading through Amazon and using the Samsung rebate because I don't want a BB giftcard that can't be used towards the Note 4 purchase. I don't get the rationale, if someone were returning a phone purchased with the giftcard it would be on the receipt and BB would have an internal record of it. It's not like they'd be refunding the giftcard amount.

+1. When I returned something to Best Buy the coupon amount was subtracted from my refund. I think it will be given immediately as that is what the Samsung promo page seems to imply.

Posted via Android Central App

67srbell

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site

I'm with you, but best buy won't send out the gift card until they know that you can't return the N4.

Again, this is what one manager in a Florida Best Buy said today.

Between Samsung and Best Buy, this may be the most confusing promotion ever. No one has definitive answers on it.

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

May I ask what your carrier and your plan is? I'm curious about this upgrade fee. The 699 is a Verizon price, and I'm guessing you have a grandfathered unlimited data. I know you can't but a subsidized phone if you want to keep your data plan.

Maybe you can trade in a phone and get a gift card at BB, for example, and maybe submit that paperwork to Sammy? But it is risky.

Verizon More Everything plan. I got rid of my unlimited to get my parents their first smartphones. I paid for 4gb and with Verizon's screw ups, I now have 8gb only paying for 4. The upgrade fee or activation fee is what I mean. $30 on Verizon.

I could do the rebate thing, but no one is giving a straight answer and I don't want to be stuck if something doesn't work out.

Note 2 via Android Central App

67srbell

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site

Also, what's the logic with Samsung giving a rebate that is $200 minus the cost of your trade in phone??

So, if let's say they value your Samsung S4 trade in value at $150, then you only get a $50 rebate check????

Can someone please explain this to me?

Edit: Oh wait, I got it. I forgot that the carrier is giving you a trade in credit for the phone and that is why Samsung deducts it.

Last edited:

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I preordered at a Best Buy when preorders first started. BB employee thought it was "up to $200" and only quoted me a $40 credit for my GNex but I dropped in today and the credit policy has been cleared up a bit. It appears I will get the $200 credit plus I should be getting an additional $100 bill credit from at&t because I'm porting in a line and using the Next plan. $499 after it's all said and done.

Posted via the Android Central App

Star-Lord

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site

I'm still confused. If it we do a tradein at a carrier store, we get a check from Samsung for $200-x for trade in @ carrier store?

If you do it at best buy, you get a BB gift card?

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site

I'm still confused. If it we do a tradein at a carrier store, we get a check from Samsung for $200-x for trade in @ carrier store?

That seems to be the jist of it.

Posted via Android Central App

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

I was assured when I pre-ordered at BB that the $200 "gift card" would be applied to the Note 4 purchase price when it comes in and I pick it up, which is also when I will do the trade-in. The Samsung promotion web page also says, "Best Buy customers go in-store to redeem instantly." I'd rather have an instant price reduction than have to hassle with the rebate submission and wait under the Samsung promotion.
https://samsunggalaxypromotions.com/Note4/

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

I'm not sure if this clears anything up for anybody but I just spoke with my local Best Buy and was told the $200 giftcard can be applied to the Note 4 purchase and you keep your grandfathered unlimited data plan on an AT&T subsidized upgrade.

jayochs

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site

to be honest, i think you're gonna have to put up quite the stink here. best buy employees have no idea what's going on, and it sucks because it screws us hard.

from my experience as a Verizon sales manager 2 years ago, I can tell you that this deal makes no sense for off contract.

think of it this way:
back when i worked there, we'll use the galaxy s3 as an example. the phone buying cost for us was 575. we sold on contract for $200, but we would make a nice percentage off selling it on contract from verizon. no matter what, each sale was a profit obviously, because that's how selling upgrades and new lines worked.

back then, the off contract of the phone was probably $599. so ok, we'd make $25 bucks, whereas lets say on contract we made a hundred and something (i don't remember numbers honestly but it was a lot more than off contract price difference.)

what was our incentive selling off contract? none. so we marked prices up to like $650 for off contract. nobody ever bought off contract, though.

so let's say best buy gets in bulk from samsung for, idk, $500 a phone (i have no idea what big corporate pricing bb gets though.) so their price is $700, and giving you $200 off would just make them break even. sure, it wouldn't happen often as most people buy plans, but even a big corporation wouldn't really want to be breaking even or even potentially losing money. the money grab is contract, and they're sure as hell gonna push the contract. when i go into corporate verizon stores now, those reps give me such a hard time buying full price because they're making NO commission on it whatsoever. so yeah. take that story with a grain of salt, but it's why i don't think any of that pricing applies to off contract phones for this deal.

droid747

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
to be honest, i think you're gonna have to put up quite the stink here. best buy employees have no idea what's going on, and it sucks because it screws us hard.

from my experience as a Verizon sales manager 2 years ago, I can tell you that this deal makes no sense for off contract.

think of it this way:
back when i worked there, we'll use the galaxy s3 as an example. the phone buying cost for us was 575. we sold on contract for $200, but we would make a nice percentage off selling it on contract from verizon. no matter what, each sale was a profit obviously, because that's how selling upgrades and new lines worked.

back then, the off contract of the phone was probably $599. so ok, we'd make $25 bucks, whereas lets say on contract we made a hundred and something (i don't remember numbers honestly but it was a lot more than off contract price difference.)

what was our incentive selling off contract? none. so we marked prices up to like $650 for off contract. nobody ever bought off contract, though.

so let's say best buy gets in bulk from samsung for, idk, $500 a phone (i have no idea what big corporate pricing bb gets though.) so their price is $700, and giving you $200 off would just make them break even. sure, it wouldn't happen often as most people buy plans, but even a big corporation wouldn't really want to be breaking even or even potentially losing money. the money grab is contract, and they're sure as hell gonna push the contract. when i go into corporate verizon stores now, those reps give me such a hard time buying full price because they're making NO commission on it whatsoever. so yeah. take that story with a grain of salt, but it's why i don't think any of that pricing applies to off contract phones for this deal.

But you fail to realize that bestbuy is not paying this promotion. It is a Samsung promotion so Samsung is reimbursing bestbuy the difference of the 200 promo and the value of the phone traded in so bestbuy is not out that money. Samsung could care less if it is contract or off contract as contracts do not impact Samsung one way or the other. That's why it makes no sense if bestbuy only honors this on contract, but I could see them doing this to try to make more money and only doing it only contracts.

jayochs

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site

But you fail to realize that bestbuy is not paying this promotion. It is a Samsung promotion so Samsung is reimbursing bestbuy the difference of the 200 promo and the value of the phone traded in so bestbuy is not out that money. Samsung could care less if it is contract or off contract as contracts do not impact Samsung one way or the other. That's why it makes no sense if bestbuy only honors this on contract, but I could see them doing this to try to make more money and only doing it only contracts.

we'll see, but i still stand by the fact i'm doubting that BB will take ANY phone for $200 right off the bat on off contract. you think they'd take my worthless droid eris and give me $200 of a Note 4? i highly doubt it.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

I must be missing something because I don't understand the advantage to buying without a contract considering you need the service to use the phone.

I use AT&T because they and Verizon have the best coverage in my area. I looked at T Mobile's new plans and they're actually more expensive because you have to pay full price for the phone and the monthly service fee is just slightly less than AT&T. On top of that their coverage isn't nearly as good as AT&T or Verizon.

What is the advantage of buying the phone at full price without a contract?

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

we'll see, but i still stand by the fact i'm doubting that BB will take ANY phone for $200 right off the bat on off contract. you think they'd take my worthless droid eris and give me $200 of a Note 4? i highly doubt it.

You can check the value of your trade in on Best Buy's website. It's not BB giving you the $200 it's Samsung, all BB is giving you is the actual trade in value and Samsung is reimbursing BB for the difference which is why you can't claim a Samsung rebate when you use the BB rebate.

I think the reason Samsung has this rebate program is because Apple is offering up to a $300 rebate if you trade one of the last two models of iPhone in on an iPhone 6. Samsung doesn't want to any more lose market share to Apple than they already are.

Tanooki2

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site

This trade in deal has convinced me to pick up the N4. This may be a dumb question, but I've never done a trade in before. Do you transfer your data to the new phone in store and then do a factory reset before you hand over your old phone? I'll be trading in my N2 for the N4 and the whole handing over my old phone with data on it scares me. Thanks for any guidance.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

You save your contacts to the SD card then do a factory reset so no personal data is left on the trade in phone. All of your apps from the Play Store will be on the new phone after you enter your Google account on the new phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty