On the fence about switching from iPhone to Galaxy Note 4

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
If you are using your iphone for music forget about the Note 4, is really bad.
What bothers me more is when the music stops for 1 or 2 seconds with every notification.
I moved from Windows Phone and that never happened with my previous WP, also there are no settings for equalization of music, no Dolby or Beats or any other settings for music. I don't know if that is different with iPhone, but for me was a downgrade in that part.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...d=com.pierceholdings.dontpause&token=UjjBkVbX

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...tore/search?q=equalizer&c=apps&token=hJYVCDOO

I agree with others, if you don't know why you should switch then don't.

IMO iOS epidemises the ignorance is bliss philosophy. There's nothing wrong with that, everything it does it does well if not exceptionally well. You won't miss what you don't know, and probably that's because you never needed it to begin with.

For ME a rooted android device is what I need because I know what I want to get out of it. Nothing else will do, which is why I went through the hassle of buying a T-Mobile version, unlocking it, and using it on my AT&T account. For my wife and son android isn't a good fit so it's iPhone for them..

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

shortwave8669

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
So I'm eligible for an upgrade at Verizon, and I have been looking at the Note 4 for a while. I was an Android user back when the best Verizon had to offer was the Droid X. It left a bad taste in my mouth and I wound up moving back to the iPhone when it became available on Verizon. I do miss some of the customizability and I do find iOS stale and boring. That being said, my iPhone is very reliable...it does what it's supposed to most of the time and without any glitchyness or lag. I don't know anybody with a Note 4 to get any first-hand feedback from a friend.

I was in the Verizon store today and going back and forth between the 6 Plus and GN4 and wound up walking out without anything. After becoming accustomed to iCloud, iMessage, photostreams, etc, I'm just worried that it will become a hassle for my family when they're used to me using these features to share things with them. I'm also hesitant because my headphones with mic / audio controls won't work with the GN4.

Any advice from people who have made the switch and are happy? Anybody who wishes they stayed with Apple? I'm having a hard time with this and I think the guy in the Verizon store thought I was nuts. Any help is appreciated.

I was a 4yr happy owner of an iPhone4 on VZW. I switched to a Samsung Note3 and am very happy with the change.

The switch was not as dramatic as I feared. A couple of weeks of learning something new was a mix of fun, mile frustrations, and acceptance of different. But I absolutely would not go back to a smaller screen. I keep my iPhone4 around for a few minor media uses and within the 1st week of a Note3 could not believe have unacceptably tiny the iPhone4 felt/looks.

The only on going disappointment has been the headphone/ headset issue you mention. Samsung makes the switch from iPhone easy if you use their Kies or SmartSwitch software.

Good luck

shortwave8669

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Purchased the Note 4 on Friday. It refuses to connect to my wi-fi at home. I originally connected to it but didn't know it disconnected it because it views my own home wi-fi as a security risk. So in two days I used up over 70 percent of my data. My messages are still going to my old iphone (you get a new sim card) In contacts there is no option to merge ME with the actual me in my contact list. The list of frustrations goes on and on. If you purchase this phone be prepared to spend hours learning it and setting it up. I wish I had stuck with iphone!

Is your home wi-fi broadcasting the SSID?
I notice my Note3 frequently will not connect well to wi-fi networks if the SSID is hidden.

shortwave8669

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
I forgot...being able to swap batteries in the Note is invaluable on those rare occasions where I can't get to a charger, especially if you find yourself using the phone a lot in poor coverage areas. I get great battery life under normal conditions, but when I use the phone a lot in remote areas, that battery change is critical. My iPhone would just die before because you can't change batteries.

Posted via the Android Central App

The swappable battery and easy access to switch SD cards is a nice feature outside of the iOS ecosystem. Instead of travelling with a charging cord a spare batt is so much smaller. I have 1 micro-SD card for business uses and a different micro-SD for personal use which keeps sensitive business info confidential and safe.

jsgiv

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
As others have stated... If you are extremely comfortable with iOS and it's ecosystem, especially with the core applications on iOS that aren't available on other platforms, and these applications are deal breakers for migrating to another ecosystem, then you should probably stick with iOS.

However, if you're willing to adjust these expectations in order to experience a different platform and ecosystem, you may be quite surprised ( or disappointed ;) ) with the results...

I've been an IT professional for over 20 years and have used about every platform you can dream or think of. They all have their pros and cons.

For iOS, its extremely limited in many aspects. However, the application library still remains the primary focus for first release and top tier development.

This is changing however, as I've seen focus shift to providing the same level of quality applications on Android (and even WP) due to the extensive growth compared to iOS in the past few years.

Add to this the extended capabilities of Android versus other platforms, its certainly challenging now to choose considering all the available choices. One example of something I can do in my Note 4 is use Miracast with my smart TV. Something I can't do with iOS... There are many more of these examples that you will experience assuming you choose to go with an Android device compared to iOS.

So to answer the question is unfortunately a difficult challenge. It really comes down to how much you are willing to learn and adapt to a new ecosystem.

From my experience, the Note 4 is the first Android device I've used that stands its own ground in terms of quality of the hardware, along with a unique software experience that I can tailor to *my* needs.

I also have an iPhone that work provides me that I must use daily. I can't express in words how visibly limited and frustrating iOS can be at times when using these devices side by side . word is that our work will soon allow use of any smartphone device. As soon as that's available, I'll happily rid myself of the iPhone for work as well....

Posted via the Android Central App

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
A lot of good comments in this thread.

As you suspect, you will miss the photo sharing and iMessage. My wife has an iPhone, and I often wish we were on the same platform. However, I will never go to iOS, and she is likely not to leave. If I was not so invested in the Google platform, I'd give it more thought. Sounds like that is the same judgement you need to make, just in the other direction.

There were a few comments about Android not backing up. I'd say that depends. Everything that is important on my phone (contacts & photos) is backed up by Google, has been for at least 4 years. I forget when they started. It is all in the cloud. Pics/Vid go straight to Google+ uncompressed almost instantly (or when on wifi - your choice).

All my Google settings are set as well, as they are shared across multiple platforms (tablets, computers). There are also apps that will save a mirror of your device if you want to go that route.

What you will find from Android, is there is very little that iOS does that cannot be done on Android, it may just take some hunting around for the right app or setting. This does not include the Apple proprietary communication stuff.

Also, you can transfer you entire music library from iTunes to Google in a couple simple steps. I found it straight forward when I did it a couple years ago. Being able to dump iTunes was liberating.

Good luck with either you choose. If you go Android, there are a lot of cool things to tinker with. Hang out here, you will be amazed at what you can learn.

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
One thing you can do if you want to test to see if you can go without those features, is to simply turn off iMessage, FaceTime, photo share, ect. Go to your iCloud settings and turn everything off, then add google as your contacts, calander, email account. Then see how it goes.

You can also try getting a cheap android phone to test out (something like the moto g)

soldier45

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Iphones are for neck bearded hipsters and teenagers, most women, ones that like a phone to just work simple. Androids are for adults that like to tinker and tweak every single thing about their phone. This trend will continue into this year and beyond.

Android D

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
I still feel that app qualities are much better for iOS. They feel more polished.

Tht's cuz when iOS app developers make app, they only make it for ONE device...Unlike Android developers, who have to make it for 100s of devices running Android all with different specs!

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Tht's cuz when iOS app developers make app, they only make it for ONE device...Unlike Android developers, who have to make it for 100s of devices running Android all with different specs!

But there is not just one iPhone. ...and they don't all have the same specs. Yet, I can decipher your meaning that there are FEWER iOS devices to develop for.

terobaje

Tero Baje
Feb 8, 2013
Visit site

But there is not just one iPhone. ...and they don't all have the same specs. Yet, I can decipher your meaning that there are FEWER iOS devices to develop for.

True....fragmentation is one of the main issues with Android.

Jean Sagarese

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
You don't know how bad the app situation is until you go to a Windows Phone, had a iPhone up till the 5 had a stroke in one eye so I needed a larger screen for email and anything else that I wanted to read there, the Windows Phone was great in size and 41 mega pixel pictures then in July it was announced we were being phased out of updates and the phone is only a year old - didn't see that with Android or Apple. I am on the fence about where to go next I have used both platforms.

sensi09

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
I like both IOS and android, but was leaning towards a 6 for the continuity with an ipad which I'm surprised I use so much. If there was a gold 6+ in stock I'd probably have that now, but am really glad I ended up with a note....thought the 6+ felt better in hand.

I do prefer the smoothness on the 6, but the "lag" or occasional hiccups on the note is no big deal. Oh and I heard a lot of naysayers spouting about touchwiz, but it's fine for me.

Last edited:

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
@soldier45
What a useless, ignorant comment. Way to categorize people based purely on what phone they choose....

iPhone has some good qualities just as android does.
Android can't even send a picture message reliably half the time. read these boards and you will see at least 30 threads about picture messages not working.
iPhone NEVER has an issue sending pictures to any device on any carrier.
iPhone camera is about 20 times faster than the Note 4 camera and takes better pictures.
I know because I have an iPhone 6+ AND a Note 4 (and 2014 moto x)

iOS is boring and Android is way more customizable, no one will ever argue those points. Some people just want a phone to do what is supposed to without having to tweak it to do what an iPhone just does without asking.

iMessage is a million times better than anything android has to offer and same goes for iCloud.
That isn't enough for me to stay with iPhone tho.

I just switched back to iPhone for a week and couldn't take it any more, had to go back the my Note 4.

A lot of professionals chose iPhone because they simply don't have time to mess with their phone all day. They want it to just work.
iPhone just works even if it is boring. Apps also tend to be higher quality on iPhone, not all, but Many.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
iPhone's can be jailbroken and are usually easier to jailbreak than an android phone is to root. Once jailbroken there's likely enough customization to keep one quite entertained.

Maged Bishara

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I made the switch last year and upgraded to a Note 4. My wife switched to a Note 3 from an iPhone two months ago.

It takes about a month to get used to but the difference is that for each scrub with an iPhone you're guided by iPhone on how it's going to work. With an Android you have do many possibilities and it's your choice on how you want to do things.

It's too much for some people because they have to determine what the best way to do things is. Too many choices but once you're used to it you'll never go back. It's so much better.

I used to swear by iOS ever since I switched a few years ago because I was fed up of apps that don't work in the old days with the old Nokia Symbian operating system. Apple just got everything to work perfectly and seamlessly.

Now with Android up to speed it's no longer an issue. Everything works except you have more of it then just what Apple forces you to use.

iOS is boring and primitive compared to how the Android can do things because Android allows more developers to do things. For example you can choose any type of launcher that suits your needs, any type of calendar that works for you, any type of mail client. Try out different keyboards that you can swipe instead of type. Much faster.

Google drive replaces icloud only MUCH better in every way possible and integrates with do many things. Dropbox replaces photo stream.

Shorter factor is that you can switch to any phone that you want in the future. You're no longer sick with one piece of hardware because it's the same operating system from one Android phone to the next.

More like iphones are for people who like things set up for them while android is for people who want to set things up themselves or don't like how apple set things up.

Maged Bishara

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Things like Google hangouts work better than imessage and integrates with gmail, Google calendar, Google drive, etc.

They issue is cross platform. Even an iPhone user can use out.
That's the difference between a closed or open system.

Even iPhone users need these types of apps to talk to noon iPhone users.

These were my arguments to my wife until she finally switched.

I thought that she'd hate it at the beginning but within a month she'll never go back either.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I think it may be best for me to have both iOS and Android. I'll have to look into a 6 or 6+ this Spring. ...then the G GFlex 2 when it hits AT&T. A jailbroken iPhone can be a thing of beauty. Really. Note 3, Note 4, iPhone 6/6+, and G Flex 2. My projected arsenal for 3/4 of 2015. Hmmm....

anon(5061193)

Banned
Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
So I'm eligible for an upgrade at Verizon, and I have been looking at the Note 4 for a while. I was an Android user back when the best Verizon had to offer was the Droid X. It left a bad taste in my mouth and I wound up moving back to the iPhone when it became available on Verizon. I do miss some of the customizability and I do find iOS stale and boring. That being said, my iPhone is very reliable...it does what it's supposed to most of the time and without any glitchyness or lag. I don't know anybody with a Note 4 to get any first-hand feedback from a friend.

I was in the Verizon store today and going back and forth between the 6 Plus and GN4 and wound up walking out without anything. After becoming accustomed to iCloud, iMessage, photostreams, etc, I'm just worried that it will become a hassle for my family when they're used to me using these features to share things with them. I'm also hesitant because my headphones with mic / audio controls won't work with the GN4.

Any advice from people who have made the switch and are happy? Anybody who wishes they stayed with Apple? I'm having a hard time with this and I think the guy in the Verizon store thought I was nuts. Any help is appreciated.

I was in the exact same boat.. Was not loving the Iphone (boring)... but my entire family is on Apple.. We all have Ipads, Iphones, Mac Books, Apple TV.. etc.... we are a 100% Apple Family.... and we facetime, imessage and share everything.... I know that there are work-a-rounds for everything... but why should I ask my family to change, just because I am bored with my phone?

As far as advice... consider you are on an Android Website..... plus, the "Iphone is for people who don't think".... is frankly STUPID!!!!!!!!

What fits YOUR life better? What makes YOUR life easier??? What makes YOUR family communicate better?... Those are the questions to ask yourself... not a bunch of Fanboys in a Android forum..... Go to the IMore forums and you will get the opposite response..... YOUR life, YOUR phone...

For me personally, The 6+is my daily driver and various other phones to play with.... If the phone Gods took away all my phones but one... It would be the Iphone 6+ for me

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo