02-01-2015 12:43 PM
91 1234
tools
    A lot of good comments in this thread.

As you suspect, you will miss the photo sharing and iMessage. My wife has an iPhone, and I often wish we were on the same platform. However, I will never go to iOS, and she is likely not to leave. If I was not so invested in the Google platform, I'd give it more thought. Sounds like that is the same judgement you need to make, just in the other direction.

There were a few comments about Android not backing up. I'd say that depends. Everything that is important on my phone (contacts & photos) is backed up by Google, has been for at least 4 years. I forget when they started. It is all in the cloud. Pics/Vid go straight to Google+ uncompressed almost instantly (or when on wifi - your choice).

All my Google settings are set as well, as they are shared across multiple platforms (tablets, computers). There are also apps that will save a mirror of your device if you want to go that route.

What you will find from Android, is there is very little that iOS does that cannot be done on Android, it may just take some hunting around for the right app or setting. This does not include the Apple proprietary communication stuff.

Also, you can transfer you entire music library from iTunes to Google in a couple simple steps. I found it straight forward when I did it a couple years ago. Being able to dump iTunes was liberating.

Good luck with either you choose. If you go Android, there are a lot of cool things to tinker with. Hang out here, you will be amazed at what you can learn.
    shortwave8669 likes this.
    01-18-2015 05:55 PM
    Android over iOS

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-18-2015 06:39 PM
    One thing you can do if you want to test to see if you can go without those features, is to simply turn off iMessage, FaceTime, photo share, ect. Go to your iCloud settings and turn everything off, then add google as your contacts, calander, email account. Then see how it goes.

You can also try getting a cheap android phone to test out (something like the moto g)
    01-18-2015 06:42 PM
    Iphones are for neck bearded hipsters and teenagers, most women, ones that like a phone to just work simple. Androids are for adults that like to tinker and tweak every single thing about their phone. This trend will continue into this year and beyond.
    plumcrazy and Dial square like this.
    01-18-2015 09:09 PM
    I still feel that app qualities are much better for iOS. They feel more polished.
    Tht's cuz when iOS app developers make app, they only make it for ONE device...Unlike Android developers, who have to make it for 100s of devices running Android all with different specs!
    01-18-2015 09:54 PM
    Tht's cuz when iOS app developers make app, they only make it for ONE device...Unlike Android developers, who have to make it for 100s of devices running Android all with different specs!
    But there is not just one iPhone. ...and they don't all have the same specs. Yet, I can decipher your meaning that there are FEWER iOS devices to develop for.
    01-18-2015 10:11 PM
    But there is not just one iPhone. ...and they don't all have the same specs. Yet, I can decipher your meaning that there are FEWER iOS devices to develop for.
    True....fragmentation is one of the main issues with Android.
    01-18-2015 11:12 PM
    You don't know how bad the app situation is until you go to a Windows Phone, had a iPhone up till the 5 had a stroke in one eye so I needed a larger screen for email and anything else that I wanted to read there, the Windows Phone was great in size and 41 mega pixel pictures then in July it was announced we were being phased out of updates and the phone is only a year old - didn't see that with Android or Apple. I am on the fence about where to go next I have used both platforms.
    01-18-2015 11:49 PM
    I like both IOS and android, but was leaning towards a 6 for the continuity with an ipad which I'm surprised I use so much. If there was a gold 6+ in stock I'd probably have that now, but am really glad I ended up with a note....thought the 6+ felt better in hand.

I do prefer the smoothness on the 6, but the "lag" or occasional hiccups on the note is no big deal. Oh and I heard a lot of naysayers spouting about touchwiz, but it's fine for me.
    01-19-2015 01:32 AM
    @soldier45
    What a useless, ignorant comment. Way to categorize people based purely on what phone they choose....

iPhone has some good qualities just as android does.
    Android can't even send a picture message reliably half the time. read these boards and you will see at least 30 threads about picture messages not working.
    iPhone NEVER has an issue sending pictures to any device on any carrier.
    iPhone camera is about 20 times faster than the Note 4 camera and takes better pictures.
    I know because I have an iPhone 6+ AND a Note 4 (and 2014 moto x)

iOS is boring and Android is way more customizable, no one will ever argue those points. Some people just want a phone to do what is supposed to without having to tweak it to do what an iPhone just does without asking.

iMessage is a million times better than anything android has to offer and same goes for iCloud.
    That isn't enough for me to stay with iPhone tho.

I just switched back to iPhone for a week and couldn't take it any more, had to go back the my Note 4.

A lot of professionals chose iPhone because they simply don't have time to mess with their phone all day. They want it to just work.
    iPhone just works even if it is boring. Apps also tend to be higher quality on iPhone, not all, but Many.
    rabernet and Bordcla like this.
    01-19-2015 02:00 AM
    iPhone's can be jailbroken and are usually easier to jailbreak than an android phone is to root. Once jailbroken there's likely enough customization to keep one quite entertained.
    01-19-2015 04:52 AM
    I made the switch last year and upgraded to a Note 4. My wife switched to a Note 3 from an iPhone two months ago.

It takes about a month to get used to but the difference is that for each scrub with an iPhone you're guided by iPhone on how it's going to work. With an Android you have do many possibilities and it's your choice on how you want to do things.

It's too much for some people because they have to determine what the best way to do things is. Too many choices but once you're used to it you'll never go back. It's so much better.

I used to swear by iOS ever since I switched a few years ago because I was fed up of apps that don't work in the old days with the old Nokia Symbian operating system. Apple just got everything to work perfectly and seamlessly.

Now with Android up to speed it's no longer an issue. Everything works except you have more of it then just what Apple forces you to use.

iOS is boring and primitive compared to how the Android can do things because Android allows more developers to do things. For example you can choose any type of launcher that suits your needs, any type of calendar that works for you, any type of mail client. Try out different keyboards that you can swipe instead of type. Much faster.

Google drive replaces icloud only MUCH better in every way possible and integrates with do many things. Dropbox replaces photo stream.

Shorter factor is that you can switch to any phone that you want in the future. You're no longer sick with one piece of hardware because it's the same operating system from one Android phone to the next.

More like iphones are for people who like things set up for them while android is for people who want to set things up themselves or don't like how apple set things up.
    01-19-2015 05:06 AM
    Things like Google hangouts work better than imessage and integrates with gmail, Google calendar, Google drive, etc.

They issue is cross platform. Even an iPhone user can use out.
    That's the difference between a closed or open system.

Even iPhone users need these types of apps to talk to noon iPhone users.

These were my arguments to my wife until she finally switched.

I thought that she'd hate it at the beginning but within a month she'll never go back either.
    01-19-2015 05:11 AM
    I think it may be best for me to have both iOS and Android. I'll have to look into a 6 or 6+ this Spring. ...then the G GFlex 2 when it hits AT&T. A jailbroken iPhone can be a thing of beauty. Really. Note 3, Note 4, iPhone 6/6+, and G Flex 2. My projected arsenal for 3/4 of 2015. Hmmm....
    01-19-2015 06:06 AM
    So I'm eligible for an upgrade at Verizon, and I have been looking at the Note 4 for a while. I was an Android user back when the best Verizon had to offer was the Droid X. It left a bad taste in my mouth and I wound up moving back to the iPhone when it became available on Verizon. I do miss some of the customizability and I do find iOS stale and boring. That being said, my iPhone is very reliable...it does what it's supposed to most of the time and without any glitchyness or lag. I don't know anybody with a Note 4 to get any first-hand feedback from a friend.

I was in the Verizon store today and going back and forth between the 6 Plus and GN4 and wound up walking out without anything. After becoming accustomed to iCloud, iMessage, photostreams, etc, I'm just worried that it will become a hassle for my family when they're used to me using these features to share things with them. I'm also hesitant because my headphones with mic / audio controls won't work with the GN4.

Any advice from people who have made the switch and are happy? Anybody who wishes they stayed with Apple? I'm having a hard time with this and I think the guy in the Verizon store thought I was nuts. Any help is appreciated.
    I was in the exact same boat.. Was not loving the Iphone (boring)... but my entire family is on Apple.. We all have Ipads, Iphones, Mac Books, Apple TV.. etc.... we are a 100% Apple Family.... and we facetime, imessage and share everything.... I know that there are work-a-rounds for everything... but why should I ask my family to change, just because I am bored with my phone?

As far as advice... consider you are on an Android Website..... plus, the "Iphone is for people who don't think".... is frankly STUPID!!!!!!!!

What fits YOUR life better? What makes YOUR life easier??? What makes YOUR family communicate better?... Those are the questions to ask yourself... not a bunch of Fanboys in a Android forum..... Go to the IMore forums and you will get the opposite response..... YOUR life, YOUR phone...

For me personally, The 6+is my daily driver and various other phones to play with.... If the phone Gods took away all my phones but one... It would be the Iphone 6+ for me
    Premium1 likes this.
    01-19-2015 09:08 AM
    Adding to what I said earlier (I switched to a Note 4 from iPhones after using them since 2007). If I didn't care about customizing my phone, I would switch back to iPhone. I'm the only one in my family who likes to tinker with phones. Everyone else (my parents, my wife, and my sibling) just want a phone that works without any tinkering. To them, I still recommend iPhones. Even though I am liking my Note 4, occasional lags **** me off. Let's see what Lollipop does. If not, I can always consider the next iPhone that gets released.
    01-19-2015 11:56 AM
    So I'm eligible for an upgrade at Verizon, and I have been looking at the Note 4 for a while. I was an Android user back when the best Verizon had to offer was the Droid X. It left a bad taste in my mouth and I wound up moving back to the iPhone when it became available on Verizon. I do miss some of the customizability and I do find iOS stale and boring. That being said, my iPhone is very reliable...it does what it's supposed to most of the time and without any glitchyness or lag. I don't know anybody with a Note 4 to get any first-hand feedback from a friend.

I was in the Verizon store today and going back and forth between the 6 Plus and GN4 and wound up walking out without anything. After becoming accustomed to iCloud, iMessage, photostreams, etc, I'm just worried that it will become a hassle for my family when they're used to me using these features to share things with them. I'm also hesitant because my headphones with mic / audio controls won't work with the GN4.

Any advice from people who have made the switch and are happy? Anybody who wishes they stayed with Apple? I'm having a hard time with this and I think the guy in the Verizon store thought I was nuts. Any help is appreciated.
    You seem to be more comfortable and familiar with IOS related things so I say go with the 6+. No matter what others say, you have to choose whichever works best for you, because you are going to be the one using it for 2 years, and maybe others like x device better, but if you like y device, but got x device because others said they liked it and you hate it, you will just hate it for the next 2 years.
    01-19-2015 12:50 PM
    After becoming accustomed to iCloud, iMessage, photostreams, etc, I'm just worried that it will become a hassle for my family when they're used to me using these features to share things with them. .
    You have answered your own question. Stick with the Apple system, it works for you and there really is nothing wrong with an iPhone 6. The only reason to switch would be if the Note 4 hardware does something that you really need, like the stylus features, switchable battery, or SD card. Beyond that, the hardware really isn't that different.

Me, I am deeply in the Android system and apps. I wouldn't touch an Apple product because it simply will NOT do what I need for work and play. I used to be deep into Windows CE. It has taken me years to almost get my Android devices to do the same jobs. In some cases, there are functions that I still can't do with Android (or Apple). But I am stuck deeply with Android, and the Note 4 is AWESOME, so I'm not about to change. Plus there is that stylus, switchable battery, and SD card that Apple doesn't allow, that are important to me. You did not mention these, so I suspect they are less important to you.
    01-19-2015 01:39 PM
    iPhone's can be jailbroken and are usually easier to jailbreak than an android phone is to root. Once jailbroken there's likely enough customization to keep one quite entertained.
    Makes ur phone a Hell of a LOT slower!
    01-19-2015 01:48 PM
    Makes ur phone a Hell of a LOT slower!
    Never experienced that, perhaps I was just lucky.
    01-19-2015 02:54 PM
    I have jailbroken every single iPhone except for iPhone 6 Plus and had never experienced any slowdown. The only reason why it may slowdown is if you install a buggy tweak.
    01-19-2015 03:24 PM
    I'm was a long time iphone user bf the nexus 5 and currently note 4. The only reason I use the N4 is the s-pen and multi window. I do miss the fluidity of ios.
    Cons of N4: gps drops out. Bluetooth (lg tone) does not auto connect unless lg tone is power cycled. Messaging apps sucks all of them either lag when opening or while in use. I know others will disagree esp long time android users. Someone will throw the subjective experience excuse but if you haven't used ios for long periods of time you will never know the differences. Android is a cluster fk. What's sad is that even google apps are not unified.
    Pros: replaceable battery, s-pen, multi window.
    01-19-2015 03:33 PM

Fully understand where you are. I was there myself a few months ago. Being a 6-year iPhone user, with iCloud, iMessage, Facetime and everything, a Macbook Pro as a computer, etc.

That said, I got fed up when my $700 iPhone 5 clunked out after 1.5 year (and, of course, then out of warranty...) and thought to myself: there's no way a device this expensive should have such a short lifespan. Given the much increased price for the new iPhones (the 6 Plus 64 gb I was contemplating would have cost me a whopping CDN$1100...), I thought: no way am I paying this much money in light of my recent experiences. I though Apple had gone one too far and that I at least owed it to myself to try alternatives.

After a brief stint with an LG G3 (not the best for me, as my Macbook Pro never even recognized the device, even with latest drivers installed...), I then had the option to pick a Note 4 for the equivalent of $180 or an iPhone 6 Plus 64 for the equivalent of $580 on contract. I thought about it for a long time and decided $400 was enough to at least warrant giving the Note 4 a serious try. Been on the Note 4 for a couple of weeks and I'm very happy with my phone.

As to your conundrum, your contacts and info you can import and sync with Google just the same as with iCloud. There is no obvious direct replacement for Facetime, but Skype works well. As for iMessage, I use Hangouts, Whatsapp or Facebook messenger, depending on the people I'm talking to, and so far I haven't missed iMessage.

This is a really full-featured phone compared to an iPhone and the features come in very handy, especially the pen and note-taking abilities. The customizations you can do to the interface are also great and, as far as build quality, the phone feels every bit as "premium" as an iPhone.

I don't consider myself a "fan" of any particular brand or operating systems (you will find die-hard Android or Apple fans out there) and, so, may eventually go back to an iPhone at some point in the future. However, given the present state of things, comparing the features of the Note 4 vs the iPhones and considering the substantial price difference, I feel that the Note 4 is great alternative to an iPhone. It is at least "as much" phone (if not more, actually), for less money.

If you can live with the replacement apps instead of your usual Apple apps (was no problem for me, despite the initial concern), then I think you won't regret trying the Note 4 and will probably get hooked to how well it works, and how useful it is. Add to this the ability to swap out a battery for minimal cost if and when it starts to fade in a couple of years, and that's icing on the cake...

Best regards,
    anon8380037 likes this.
    01-19-2015 03:52 PM
    Purchased the Note 4 on Friday. It refuses to connect to my wi-fi at home. I originally connected to it but didn't know it disconnected it because it views my own home wi-fi as a security risk. So in two days I used up over 70 percent of my data. My messages are still going to my old iphone (you get a new sim card) In contacts there is no option to merge ME with the actual me in my contact list. The list of frustrations goes on and on. If you purchase this phone be prepared to spend hours learning it and setting it up. I wish I had stuck with iphone!
    I havent dealt with that....

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-19-2015 06:47 PM
    I bought an iphone for my girlfriend and a note 4 for me. long story short Iphone is boring compared to note 4 and note four takes better pics. she is always asking me to use my phone to take pics. #16mp gives greater detail. There is no lag on the GN4 and battery life is superb. I currently have 72% after charging 6 am this morning. its currently 8:15pm. And the multitasking is off the chain. total beast!!!!! Samsung is the best Android OEM. Anything else is a substandard android or (boring) iphone. Iphone only offers u apps. On samsung u get Apps and a greater user experience because of the many features. U can even turn them off you choose to. And besides, with lollipop on the market, android is just getting better. Android now has 17% more apps than IOS. I tort id be borrowing my girlfriend phone often but ilI was so wrong. I love the GN4. Sorry for the long post
    I got excited.
    01-19-2015 07:05 PM
91 1234