On the fence about switching from iPhone to Galaxy Note 4

fotomatt1

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
So I'm eligible for an upgrade at Verizon, and I have been looking at the Note 4 for a while. I was an Android user back when the best Verizon had to offer was the Droid X. It left a bad taste in my mouth and I wound up moving back to the iPhone when it became available on Verizon. I do miss some of the customizability and I do find iOS stale and boring. That being said, my iPhone is very reliable...it does what it's supposed to most of the time and without any glitchyness or lag. I don't know anybody with a Note 4 to get any first-hand feedback from a friend.

I was in the Verizon store today and going back and forth between the 6 Plus and GN4 and wound up walking out without anything. After becoming accustomed to iCloud, iMessage, photostreams, etc, I'm just worried that it will become a hassle for my family when they're used to me using these features to share things with them. I'm also hesitant because my headphones with mic / audio controls won't work with the GN4.

Any advice from people who have made the switch and are happy? Anybody who wishes they stayed with Apple? I'm having a hard time with this and I think the guy in the Verizon store thought I was nuts. Any help is appreciated.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I was in the Verizon store today and going back and forth between the 6 Plus and GN4 and wound up walking out without anything. After becoming accustomed to iCloud, iMessage, photostreams, etc, I'm just worried that it will become a hassle for my family when they're used to me using these features to share things with them. I'm also hesitant because my headphones with mic / audio controls won't work with the GN4.
Good reasons to stay with an iPhone.

Any advice from people who have made the switch and are happy? Anybody who wishes they stayed with Apple? I'm having a hard time with this and I think the guy in the Verizon store thought I was nuts.
The normal rule is that iPhones are for people who like being told what to do, Android is for people who prefer to make their own decisions. (Which is why he had the attitude he did, probably.)

But replacing all your hardware, and spending maybe weeks getting back in sync with your family could be expensive in both money and time.

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Good reasons to stay with an iPhone.

The normal rule is that iPhones are for people who like being told what to do, Android is for people who prefer to make their own decisions. (Which is why he had the attitude he did, probably.)

But replacing all your hardware, and spending maybe weeks getting back in sync with your family could be expensive in both money and time.

More like iphones are for people who like things set up for them while android is for people who want to set things up themselves or don't like how apple set things up.

kami8586

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
I switched from a note 3 to a note 4 just the other day and it Is amazing. I didn't even think twice about not getting an iphone

Posted via the Android Central App

MalinoisK9

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Been an iPhone user since the 3 and can't even begin to tell you how glad I am that I made the switch to android. Every day I find something else to like about this phone and android in general. Yes I miss imessage and the simple all in one cloud backup but that's about it at this point.

Out of the 7 or more people that have upgraded since I did, not 1 has changed operating systems besides me. Even the sales rep at radioshack said they make bets about how long it will take for someone to bring back the andriod phone when making the switch from ios.

I just discovered launchers haha! I can't see going back unless apple does something amazing in the future.

kway_NY

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I had several IPhones, wife still has the 5S, on my second Note and will never go back. I have 7 email addresses to monitor and I love having a different notification for each one. Wife uses IMessage, to text me, or ChatOn or Threema, no problems other than she likes her simple to use (and backup) Iphone. instead of switching to a Note or S5 with tons more options.

I have to say I don't think you will be disappointed with the N4, but not everyone is geeky. Some like it simple.

Android D

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
So I'm eligible for an upgrade at Verizon, and I have been looking at the Note 4 for a while. I was an Android user back when the best Verizon had to offer was the Droid X. It left a bad taste in my mouth and I wound up moving back to the iPhone when it became available on Verizon. I do miss some of the customizability and I do find iOS stale and boring. That being said, my iPhone is very reliable...it does what it's supposed to most of the time and without any glitchyness or lag. I don't know anybody with a Note 4 to get any first-hand feedback from a friend.

Any advice from people who have made the switch and are happy? Anybody who wishes they stayed with Apple? I'm having a hard time with this and I think the guy in the Verizon store thought I was nuts. Any help is appreciated.

Honestly just stay with iphone. I have NEVER used an iphone, and don't think ever will, but I am surrounded by Apple products in my family and i know what they are.

Android still lacks the capabilities to back things up unlike iOS. And even as an Android user, i do sometimes envy imessage. But I couldn't see myself using iphone anytime just cuz of these reasons. U on the other hand given your situation should try to stick with iphone!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I had the 6p for a week and got the note 4 on release day. Only thing I miss about the iPhone 6 plus is the camera. I want a camera that is effortless in virtually all scenarios camera and that is as close as you get. the note 4 camera can be better if you tinker, though. I had a note 3 before. Some of my observations.

Iphone 6p pro
Bluetooth battery life displayed in notification bar on my jaybird bluebuds x
Tapatalk more developed
Idle battery life excellent
Lower automatic brightness in dark room
Runs cooler
Fingerprint scanner works well
Camera is better in lower light motion shots.

Con
Less customizations - no real widgets and limited icon placement
Swiftkey very limited, no number row
Google Apps limited
No Android intents
No usb otg
No sd card
No s pen
No notifications in the notification bar
Difficult to share with other apps
Charges slower. In 30 minutes, the 6 plus gains 31% using the 2a ipad charger , the note 4 50%
Limited multi tasking. Uploading /downloading in background doesn't work well (Spotify, youtube, etc)

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

TheGreatUnknown

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
I did. I had an iPhone 6 and it bent, that left a bad taste in my mouth. I got a brand new replacement now I just have a brand new iPhone 6 sitting in my desk drawer lol. I just got a Note 4 and didn't like it at first at all. Too big, not a huge fan of Samsung's bloatware and Android's "lag". After using it for a couple weeks I'm pretty set on the N4. I despise the fact that you can't customize anything on iPhones, I'm a huge fan of icon packs and widgets. I do have an iMac, Macbook Air and iPad mini, and however it would probably be wise to keep the iPhone so it all syncs together. Not a huge deal though.

terobaje

Tero Baje
Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I have had iPhones since 3G and switched to a Note 4 (from a 6+) about three weeks ago. I'm loving the experience (except for occasional lags...blame it on TW) but there are things I miss. All of my family members have iPhones so I miss iMessage and Facetime. Yes, there are other solutions but they are not as reliable and secure. I still feel that app qualities are much better for iOS. They feel more polished.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
It is personal choice. I gave Apple a try with the iPad because of my job using them. Hated it. I prefer being able to customize. I love my Note 4.Have had every Note and it just gets better. And am glad to have Samsung tablets. I just prefer them. Be happy use what you want

George Collins1

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I was a die-hard Apple fan for years, then switched from iPhone to a Note 3. I tell people it was like escaping from North Korea--no longer did I have to abide by what Dear Leader thought was best for me. I could personalize my phone to what worked best for me. Granted, that took some time to study, some trial and error, and some frustration as I learned. But eventually I upgraded to the Note 4 and can't see myself going back to the iPhone.

I still had an iPhone 5s for work, but found myself using my Android for everything, anyway. I have also become a great fan of Samsung Knox for security and separating work flows.

When Apple updated to iOS 8 with all the marketing hoopla, I just scratched my head and said my Android already can do most of that stuff.

So my recommendation is, if you are willing to invest a few hours to learn the Note 4 and how to get the most of it, make the switch. There are tons of tips and tricks videos on You Tube that will help (search Note 4 tips).

If you do that, I think you'll be happy you made the change. Even my wife, who I have to drag kicking and screaming to new technology changes, loves her Note 4 after being on iPhone for several years. She actually uses her smartphone for more than just a phone now.

Good luck.

George Collins1

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I forgot...being able to swap batteries in the Note is invaluable on those rare occasions where I can't get to a charger, especially if you find yourself using the phone a lot in poor coverage areas. I get great battery life under normal conditions, but when I use the phone a lot in remote areas, that battery change is critical. My iPhone would just die before because you can't change batteries.

Torch4x4

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
If you are using your iphone for music forget about the Note 4, is really bad.
What bothers me more is when the music stops for 1 or 2 seconds with every notification.
I moved from Windows Phone and that never happened with my previous WP, also there are no settings for equalization of music, no Dolby or Beats or any other settings for music. I don't know if that is different with iPhone, but for me was a downgrade in that part.

enb123

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I say stick with iPhone - and that's from a lifelong Android fan. The main reason? You're already set up sharing photos, etc. with your friends and family. I had an iPhone 5 for 3 weeks, and it didn't work for me because I share all my photos using Google+, use Hangouts, etc. Plus, the two platforms are so similar at this point that no one is lacking anything. If you're happy with it, I wouldn't jump ship on the assumption it'll be some great life-transforming event - it certainly wasn't for me going over to iOS - it was the same wine in a different bottle.

Autumn Strahle

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Purchased the Note 4 on Friday. It refuses to connect to my wi-fi at home. I originally connected to it but didn't know it disconnected it because it views my own home wi-fi as a security risk. So in two days I used up over 70 percent of my data. My messages are still going to my old iphone (you get a new sim card) In contacts there is no option to merge ME with the actual me in my contact list. The list of frustrations goes on and on. If you purchase this phone be prepared to spend hours learning it and setting it up. I wish I had stuck with iphone!

M3Stang

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
I had an iPhone since 2008. Started with the 3G, 4, and 5. I went to the note 4 actually because I had sold my iPhone 5 expecting to get an iPhone 6 plus the same day. This was a few weeks after the 6 and 6 plus had come out. I actually got the Note 4 because I needed a phone. I did like its features better after all. Now I am so glad I made the switch. There are so many things you can do with this phone. There is a reason why it won best Android phone of 2014. Only thing I miss is iMessage. MMS photo and video compression sucks.

shaleem

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Frankly, I can't think of one thing that I dislike about the Note 4. I've never had an iPhone so I can't make a comparison.

Posted via the Android Central App on my Samsung Galaxy Note 4