Note 4 won't reset. dm-verity verification failed error

derekeh

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I bought a note 4 from an indivual about a month ago and its worked great. I want to sell it to a friend so I went to reset the phone. It gave me the dm-verity verification failed. I've not rooted the phone but in guessing this means its been rooted before? I just want it reset to stock. How can I fix this?

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Flash the stock ROM. SamMobile Firmwares has ROMS, you just need to enter the model number (there are a few Note 4 models). Use Odin to flash it. The phone will be like new-out-of-the-box - he'll have to put in his Google account, etc.

john willard11

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
Just went through the entire ordeal of rooting and then stupidly bricking the phone. This immediately caused the dm-varity verfication problem. Im tech savy, but I had never rooted a phone or installed roms or mods before.

Thus, I did something stupid. The root cause of bricking the phone was uninstalling Touch Whiz.

I hated and never used it. So wtf, I decided to get rid of it along with all the other garbage on my phone. By uninstalling Touch Whiz, I immediately got a system.ui error. My phone was stiil working with the occasional popup warnings.

No big deal. Until I did a restart.

Then bam. Bricked.

At this point, I downloaded the Samsung firmware for the phone. Put my phone in recovery, wiped the cache, and did a factory reset. Used Odin 3.10.6 - 3.0.9 to upload the firmware. Failed. Failed. Failed. Then I noticed two errors. One it wasn't passing an authentication check, then I found the dm-varity error.

Researched every forum online for hours to find the solution. Alot of people are doing this. I could not find a step by step guide anywhere. But it gave several ideas.

First I loaded Phils Touch for recovery. Tried to upload firmware again. Failed. Then, I found another site and downloaded the firmware. It was the same firmware but from another download site. Still no dice. It would simply not pass the auth checks. I then loaded Team Win for recovery. Wiped, reset, and loaded firmware again. Failed

CyanogenMod was my next choice. Loaded it with twrp. Wiped, reset, upload, install and reboot. It worked.

Too be honest, I'm a complete novice at this. And technically, not exactly sure what i did to fix the brick. At one point, I did get the Samsung firmware to boot. But then the system.ui error kept preventing me to go through the steps on the phone to program it. Do to popup errors. If i could have gotten through the program stages of Lollipop on the phone, i could have then done a factory reset from settings. Which would have reset the phone to Lollipop and fixed the system.ui error.

By loading a new rom from recovery mode, this fixed the system.ui error. CyanogenMod loaded. Now I can go back, If i want to Lollipop and reload the firmware. It will reboot now and reprogram, cause the system.ui error was fixed by the new rom.

So i can go back to stock. Didn't want to be stock, which is why I got into this mess. CyanogenMod is a decent rom, Im going to play around with it some til I find something better.

NOTE: I was on a 24 hour run at this. Pulling my hair out. I worked on booting the firmware all the way to the end. I gave up and used OneClick online service for tech help. By then my brain was mush, felt sorry for the guy cause I was exhausted and sluggish. The only Toot I will give myself was all the initial steps he did, I had already tried and the process kept failing. It was his idea about the rom. The other issue was the Samsung drivers for windows. I had the right drivers loaded, but windows 8.1 was giving it hell. This made the upload from Odin or the command prompt very lengthly. The fix. Took the sdcard out of the Note 4, placed it in my working Note 3. (if I had a card reader, I could have used that) Attached my Note 3 and copied all the install files to the sdcard from the pc. Replaced the sdcard to the Note 4 and went to recovery. Then we were in business.

I will give all my thanks to the tech at OneClick and greatly appreciate him figuring this out. The major conflict I had was the Samsung driver for that phone connecting to a bricked phone. For some reason, which it should not have been, was a conflict.

Learned alot yesterday. More then what I wanted. These forums are so important, when your lost. I wanted to kick this out there. Maybe it can help someone, like me, in the future.

Bhumi Kandel

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
I bought a note 4 from an indivual about a month ago and its worked great. I want to sell it to a friend so I went to reset the phone. It gave me the dm-verity verification failed. I've not rooted the phone but in guessing this means its been rooted before? I just want it reset to stock. How can I fix this?

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shao61