battery drain is awful and frustrating

mlbyanks11

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I can't seem to figure out why this battery is draining so fast it's awful I have to charge it three times a day...it drains two percent every ten minutes or so..it's brutal...I'm not even using it..it sits on my desk all day at work except to check texts and what not...anyone have an idea why this is happening..it's a brand new unlocked ATT phone...only two weeks in...I don't get why it's happening and it's aggravating...any help appreciated...thank you

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-03-12-10-51-28.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-03-12-10-51-28.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 150

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I can't seem to figure out why this battery is draining so fast it's awful I have to charge it three times a day...it drains two percent every ten minutes or so..it's brutal...I'm not even using it..it sits on my desk all day at work except to check texts and what not...anyone have an idea why this is happening..it's a brand new unlocked ATT phone...only two weeks in...I don't get why it's happening and it's aggravating...any help appreciated...thank you

Have you looked at what apps are using battery? There's a lot of "awake" time going on there, particularly with WiFi off.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Right off the bat as natehoy says the screen shot depicts an issue with an application or service running constantly in the background (as evident by the awake bar being solid blue while the screen bar shows screen is off at times). Your signal strength is also marginal most of the time. Couple the two issues and its no wonder that battery life is poor.

Look at the battery stats pages more closely and examine what applications rank near the top. It also may not hurt to reboot into recovery and clear cache.

mlbyanks11

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Right off the bat as natehoy says the screen shot depicts an issue with an application or service running constantly in the background (as evident by the awake bar being solid blue while the screen bar shows screen is off at times). Your signal strength is also marginal most of the time. Couple the two issues and its no wonder that battery life is poor.

Look at the battery stats pages more closely and examine what applications rank near the top. It also may not hurt to reboot into recovery and clear cache.

You tell me what's running in the background at a high percentage because besides Android system I don't see anything other than that causing the battery to drain...it's awful

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-03-12-11-20-09.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-03-12-11-20-09.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 142

doohsun

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
i notice that you have blackberry app i removed mine right away i notice how much battery it's draining. What's the one right next too it?

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I would do a cache clear first by rebooting into recovery (turn the phone off, pull the battery for a few seconds to be sure, replace the battery, hold HOME & VOLUME UP while depressing POWER until the boot screen comes up and releasing POWER while holding the other two a little longer). I'd then let the device boot up, leave it untouched for a half hour and return to the battery stats graph screen to see if the awake bar is still solid blue for the period that the screen is off. If it is then start uninstalling unnecessary utility applications and widgets systematically starting with any memory management, cleaning or battery monitoring apps.

doohsun

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
i tried that before and got rid of it have you tried Dr Battery? i really like Dr battery i can schedule my phone usage at night so every night since i'm sleeping at 11:00pm for example i turn off wifi, bluetooth, sync and when i wake up i turn i those back on. I get my phone through 2 full days :)

Screenshot_2015-03-08-01-12-56.jpg

mlbyanks11

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
i tried that before and got rid of it have you tried Dr Battery? i really like Dr battery i can schedule my phone usage at night so every night since i'm sleeping at 11:00pm for example i turn off wifi, bluetooth, sync and when i wake up i turn i those back on. I get my phone through 2 full days :)

View attachment 166614

Well I like to have things on...I came from Verizon and the battery on that variant was great...ATT version I dont know whats wrong...I will look into that app but not getting my hopes up lol...thanks for the though..

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
"Android System" is frequently associated with either syncing or indexing. Certainly not always, but it's worth starting there.

Do you have an SD card on board? Pull that card for a while and see if that helps. If it does, you either have a lot of stuff on that SD or you may have a bad card.

Do you have G+ backing up your pictures? Make sure this is only happening on WiFi if you can, and hit "back up now" while on WiFi and see if it finishes in what seems like a reasonable time (which depends on the number of pictures/videos you have). If it does not, you may have a corrupted picture or something.

KahneFan

Jul 17, 2011
www.ezthemer.com
Low signal will eat a battery fast! With my Note 2, I had excellent battery life... until I went to work. I was in an all metal building and it KILLED my signal. I would be at 95% at 8:00 AM and 10% by 12:00 PM. I [maybe] would get 1 bar the entire time I was at work. I had to leave it on the charger most of the day. However, as soon as I drove home, the battery would stop draining.

mlbyanks11

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Low signal will eat a battery fast! With my Note 2, I had excellent battery life... until I went to work. I was in an all metal building and it KILLED my signal. I would be at 95% at 8:00 AM and 10% by 12:00 PM. I [maybe] would get 1 bar the entire time I was at work. I had to leave it on the charger most of the day. However, as soon as I drove home, the battery would stop draining.

Well I get great reception where I work and the SD card is brand new and not defective...IDK where that came from but both phone and SD card are fairly new...used the same card in my Verizon note 4 and had switched to att and needed there variant..since then it's been awful I can't even get eight hours out of my battery it's not acceptable

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Well I get great reception where I work and the SD card is brand new and not defective...IDK where that came from but both phone and SD card are fairly new...used the same card in my Verizon note 4 and had switched to att and needed there variant..since then it's been awful I can't even get eight hours out of my battery it's not acceptable

Actually you don't get great reception, the mobile network signal bar on the attached image in your first post proves it since there's a short bit of green initially and then 95% of the time the bar is mustard colored. That color designation means lower signal, red means no signal.

It is best to start logically and systematically to figure out what the issue is. The long wake times is the key right now so try to start there first by clearing cache and testing for wake time. If the device goes to deep sleep after a cache clearing (in recovery, not using some random play store app to do it) then you're golden but if not then move on to the next thing such as pulling the microSD card and retesting . . . after that, try uninstalling utilities.

mlbyanks11

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Actually you don't get great reception, the mobile network signal bar on the attached image in your first post proves it since there's a short bit of green initially and then 95% of the time the bar is mustard colored. That color designation means lower signal, red means no signal.

It is best to start logically and systematically to figure out what the issue is. The long wake times is the key right now so try to start there first by clearing cache and testing for wake time. If the device goes to deep sleep after a cache clearing (in recovery, not using some random play store app to do it) then you're golden but if not then move on to the next thing such as pulling the microSD card and retesting . . . after that, try uninstalling utilities.

It's not the SD card it's brand new...128gb memory card...IDK why there's so much wake time and I get good reception mainly everywhere I go...I don't care what some color bars tell me about my reception seriously...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-03-12-14-46-21.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-03-12-14-46-21.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 85

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The gap would indicate you rebooted, and it looks like it helped. I agree with the cache clear in recovery.
The SD card may be new, but if the OS is having a hard time reading a file, that can cause a wake lock.

From an AOSP M8

mlbyanks11

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
The gap would indicate you rebooted, and it looks like it helped. I agree with the cache clear in recovery.
The SD card may be new, but if the OS is having a hard time reading a file, that can cause a wake lock.

From an AOSP M8

Believe it or not I already did that...

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
It's a brand new card but is there anything on it?

Try removing the card for a day, just as a test, and see if the problem goes away.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Besides my pictures and music and ringtones... That's it...

All of those things need to be indexed. One bad ID3 tag on a song or one corrupted picture can cause a loop in the indexing service that may cause indexing to run at 100% until the bad file is removed.

If you take the card out and the problem persists, then it's not the card.

If you take the card out and the problem goes away, then either you got a bad card (even new ones can be bad sometimes) or one of the files you copied to it has a problem that Android just does not like at all.

The hard part about tracking something like this down is simply that the service covers a great many tasks, and any one of them could be causing it. Simple things like pulling the card allow you to narrow down the problem quickly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa