Lollipop update for Note 4 in the UK?

Nik Brooks

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
The likely hood is I will only consider changing to Apple if Samsung dropped the removable battery and sd slot, I'm still hoping they don't for the note 5.

Apparently according to various forums simfree Samsung devices in the UK always get the updates last and this has been a ongoing issue since the Samsung S4, so I wouldn't be too sure we will get a better version of Lollipop.

Posted via the Android Central App

I am confused by your thinking with regards to changing to Apple if Samsung drop the removable battery and expandable storage via Micro SD.
What phone does Apple have that has a removable battery and the ability to increase storage using a Micro SD card?

Please do not feel that I am confrontational as that is not my intention, however I have to draw your attention to my comment above. Also with regards to you second point regarding Samsung devices in the UK always being last to receive software upgrades is not true.
I have had the S4, S5, Note 3 and now the Note 4 all sim free (all my phones are sim free) and on each of these devices with the exception of my current Note 4 I got the updates before my friends over in the US. They are also on different carriers such as AT&T, Sprint and Verizon. I know this to be a fact as I helped most of them find their way around the new features over the phone as I have a Vonage box that is connected to my Netgear NightHawk router and allows me to call to their landlines via my broadband for free. So I would have to say with all due respect that whatever forum(s) you may have read that on are not worth even looking at.

If the Note 5 does turn out to not have a removable battery or expandable memory, what phone in Apple's line up are you going to get?

Nik Brooks

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone, im new here. I got my Note 4 first time today, after coming off the back of a S4 contract (finally!). I've had my eye on the Note 4 since it came out. I've bought the phone unlocked this time.

I was wondering why my Note 4 has no firmware available to download! Slightly disappointed, as I thought unlocked phones generally get the updates first! :p

That is the reason for this thread to try to find out what is happening with regards to the roll out of Lollipop here in the UK.
This includes both unlocked and carrier locked handset's.
Thank you for joining and please keep checking back to see what the progress is

bigsmoke79

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I am confused by your thinking with regards to changing to Apple if Samsung drop the removable battery and expandable storage via Micro SD.
What phone does Apple have that has a removable battery and the ability to increase storage using a Micro SD card?

Please do not feel that I am confrontational as that is not my intention, however I have to draw your attention to my comment above. Also with regards to you second point regarding Samsung devices in the UK always being last to receive software upgrades is not true.
I have had the S4, S5, Note 3 and now the Note 4 all sim free (all my phones are sim free) and on each of these devices with the exception of my current Note 4 I got the updates before my friends over in the US. They are also on different carriers such as AT&T, Sprint and Verizon. I know this to be a fact as I helped most of them find their way around the new features over the phone as I have a Vonage box that is connected to my Netgear NightHawk router and allows me to call to their landlines via my broadband for free. So I would have to say with all due respect that whatever forum(s) you may have read that on are not worth even looking at.

If the Note 5 does turn out to not have a removable battery or expandable memory, what phone in Apple's line up are you going to get?

What I mean by my first point was updates for simfree phones via Samsung UK, have been rolled out last compared to network phones ie phones bought on O2, Three, Vodafone etc which shouldn't be the case? Samsung release the update to the networks so how can o2 etc get it, test it and add their bloatware before Samsung send it out?

Point 2 I moved to Samsung because of the removable battery and sd storage, I benefited greatly from both but now that Samsung may be removing them then to me they have nothing to set it apart from the competition! their main advantage to me will be gone so I will have to eventually get a phone with built in storage and no sd card.

To be fair I'd probably get a nexus 6 over a iphone plus but at least with Apple everyone gets the updates together, I am beginning to hate Androids Fragmentation! Apples customer service is top notch, Samsungs is a joke the carryon when my 10.5 tablet broke down really grated on me.

I'm not being confrontational I've just beginning to lose faith in a company I once thought where trying to be different, but to me they are now following Apple! and if that's the route they are going down I may as well just buy the real thing
rather than Apples imitation.

Nik Brooks

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
What I mean by my first point was updates for simfree phones via Samsung UK, have been rolled out last compared to network phones ie phones bought on O2, Three, Vodafone etc which shouldn't be the case? Samsung release the update to the networks so how can o2 etc get it, test it and add their bloatware before Samsung send it out?

Point 2 I moved to Samsung because of the removable battery and sd storage, I benefited greatly from both but now that Samsung may be removing them then to me they have nothing to set it apart from the competition! their main advantage to me will be gone so I will have to eventually get a phone with built in storage and no sd card.

To be fair I'd probably get a nexus 6 over a iphone plus but at least with Apple everyone gets the updates together, I am beginning to hate Androids Fragmentation! Apples customer service is top notch, Samsungs is a joke the carryon when my 10.5 tablet broke down really grated on me.

I'm not being confrontational I've just beginning to lose faith in a company I once thought where trying to be different, but to me they are now following Apple! and if that's the route they are going down I may as well just buy the real thing
rather than Apples imitation.

I know neither of us are being confrontational ;)
I have read your post and I totally agree with everything you have said and I completely agree with your feelings about Samsung trying to copy Apples iPhone.
There has been a huge uproar in the Android community over both the non removable battery and the dispensing of expandable storage and I hope that they pay attention to their customers.
I still think that we cannot completely compare the iPhone and the S6 series of phones as Samsung have really worked hard on both handsets and overall both are a huge step forward in the right direction apart from the two issues we are discussing.
Now with regards to the updates arriving on network providers first, I know it is very frustrating and also that it seems to make no sense but as I said people who have had the update here in the UK and other countries are experiencing some real issues. I also mentioned that the S6 and S6 Edge have shipped with exactly the same problems and that Samsung have clearly rushed to get the handsets out. That is totally unacceptable to say the least, however I do know that they are busy working on 5.1 with a new version of the Touch Wiz interface and they should be pushing that out very shortly. Unfortunately I cannot divulge where that information has come from at the moment, however I am confident that we who have the unlocked version will be getting either 5.02 to begin with and very quickly followed by 5.1
So let us still have a little faith in Samsung and just sit tight and see what happens.

bigsmoke79

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I'm happy to sit and wait, I've waited this long :) I should really reserve judgement until the note 5 arrives, though I will be deeply disappointed if they drop SD Storage and Battery (I love being able to swap batteries) it's the phone designed for power users so I hope they keep it that way.

I know Samsung aren't directly copying but I'm not happy with the direction they are heading! I don't like planned obsolescence and I think Samsung have realised this and went that direction.

neils0911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
I haven't posted anymore screenshots as i've been going between networks for the past week (bought some pay as you go sims) to see which one I should move to which has impacted my battery life so didn't want to post any more until i've got that issued cleared up as being in poor signal seems to drain even more battery life on lollipop than it did on kit kat. One thing I have noticed since I last posted in the this thread is that gaming performance has become slightly unpredictable. I don't do much gaming on my phone but I have noticed the odd game stuttering every now and again, its rare but it never happened before this update.

I'll definitely be jumping ship if samsung drop the removable battery for the note 5, it was one of the things that has kept making me come back to samsung phones. I will however never be returning to an iphone...i'll be going to sony and their rumored phablet if it ever becomes real. My wife has a Z3 and its an awesome phone (and I used to have a One m8, sony is better imo)

Phantomlynx

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
poor signal seems to drain even more battery life on lollipop than it did on kit kat. One thing I have noticed since I last posted in the this thread is that gaming performance has become slightly unpredictable. I don't do much gaming on my phone but I have noticed the odd game stuttering every now and again, its rare but it never happened before this update.

I seem to getting this too...

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
I'm confused. This is my first Samsung and my experience over many years with Sony & HTC is that the sim free phones always get the updates before the carrier locked phones with their bloatware?
Why have Vodafone got the update out before Samsung have it out over the air or via my computer (tried both) and does anybody know when I'll get it :(

bigsmoke79

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm confused. This is my first Samsung and my experience over many years with Sony & HTC is that the sim free phones always get the updates before the carrier locked phones with their bloatware?
Why have Vodafone got the update out before Samsung have it out over the air or via my computer (tried both) and does anybody know when I'll get it :(

Yeah this is the point I've been raising in the thread, I'm in the same boat as you a simfree phone! I think it's outrageous that networks such as Vodafone and O2 have both got the update out after adding their own bloatware yet Samsung hasn't sent it out too simfree phones? makes no sense whatsoever?

Like I said before its a lesson learned for me in future buying simfree Samsung phones.

cinek

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
just flash your phones. I flashed mine with the german version. No major bugs. Battery life seems better for me than KK although it was draining quickly for me on KK so the factory restore definitely helped. Only bug I've seen was when I rejected a call, it was still showing up in the notifications panel for a couple of seconds (like 5). Apart from that it's working well. Feels faster than KK too

andy2141

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Did you use the German DBT release or XXU1BOC3 ?

Still thinking about doing this and I believe the BOC3 release has some additional fixes. Just checking as I don't really fancy an expensive paper weight.

andy2141

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Yes it's really easy.

Download the correct firmware and a copy of odin and a its a couple of button clicks. I did a factory reset and wiped the cache as well to avoid any problems later.

I also have a iMac but used a windows machine to play it safe. I guess you could use vmware fusion/parallels or boot camp if needs be.

rgn4

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
I'm in the UK with an unlocked N910F, currently using in on EE

A few days ago I upgraded to the German 5.0.1 using Odin. Had one minor issue that was my own fault, sorted with help from here :).
Other than that, no complaints about the upgrade except that it seems to be a very minor change, everything working the same with a few cosmetic changes. I haven't noticed the battery life being any better or worse, need to use it longer to see if there is any real difference.

PhilNUK

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Have updated my note 4 and am now getting 'Vodafone' on my lock screen along the top where it showed new messages... Anyone know how to get rid of that?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez