Note 4 is charging very very slow

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I changed the data cable and now it seems to be working every time. Using an old cable from the Note 1.

Note in my house!

Last edited:

donebrasko

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Well at least I know the problem now. All cables i use fast charging or not are showing up as USB charging regardless of Whetter I have it plugged into.

Does anyone have a solution for that?

Posted via the Android Central App

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Well at least I know the problem now. All cables i use fast charging or not are showing up as USB charging regardless of Whetter I have it plugged into.

Does anyone have a solution for that?

It could be a software problem.

Note in my house!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
i find fast charging only helps if you're below 20% it's slow charging when it's higher
My Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4 does adaptive fast charging up until about 75%, then it starts to taper

uploadfromtaptalk1427129007974.jpg

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

donebrasko

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Update: this is crazy I'm on the new phone and now it just started the slow charging again. I only use the Samsung charger and Verizon charger unless I'm in the car but because I have 2 batteries I rarely have to charge it. Has anyone else had this problem? I don't know if it is an app doing this or what. I wipe it completelyand it doesn't help. What's the odds of getting 2 phones back to back like this?

When I did a soft reset, the unlocked sign was showing at the bottom of the screen before it came back on. Like if the bootloader was unlocked.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Update: this is crazy I'm on the new phone and now it just started the slow charging again. I only use the Samsung charger and Verizon charger unless I'm in the car but because I have 2 batteries I rarely have to charge it. Has anyone else had this problem? I don't know if it is an app doing this or what. I wipe it completelyand it doesn't help. What's the odds of getting 2 phones back to back like this?

When I did a soft reset, the unlocked sign was showing at the bottom of the screen before it came back on. Like if the bootloader was unlocked.

For me it was the cable. Once I changed it to another one I haven't had anymore issues.

Note in my house!

donebrasko

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I haven't replaced the phone. I just replaced the cable.

Note in my house!

All cables do the same thing now show USB charging. Last night it died while charging. I woke up with it being off and charging at 83% I went to bed at 1230 woke up at 830. This is on the Samsung charger. Now I can't sync it with the pc or save my data. So frustrating

ClaudiaP

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Mine started doing this after the Lollipop update to, I have found that if I unplug the cable from the phone and plug it back in it charges like it should. It doesn't matter if the phone is on or off.

donebrasko

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
What's crazy is that I'm only at 23% and I took it off the charger at 830. I'm a heavy user and it seems like in the past my phone would have had to switch batteries by now. Maybe it's just in my head. I'm about to play a game and really find out.

Kjmlejnek

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
What's crazy is that I'm only at 23% and I took it off the charger at 830. I'm a heavy user and it seems like in the past my phone would have had to switch batteries by now. Maybe it's just in my head. I'm about to play a game and really find out.

Exact same ISSUE..... after updated to Lollipop
Thought I was crazy and got phone in December too....

Michel Henriod

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
I think I was able to solve the slow charging problem on my Note 4.
Since the upgrade to Android V5, it took me 6 to 8 hours to charge the phone.
I have unselected the fast charging option and it took my now about an hour to charge the Note 4 which battery was almost empty.

varunaX

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
Before lollipop I would get a 'fast charging' notification when I plugged it in. Now i am no longer getting this message I just realized now. Anyone else??

carspidey

May 17, 2012
Visit site
My note 4 started doing the same thing today. I have a samsung charger from my galaxy tab pro that i've used before and it is charging really slow... i have restarted my phone a few times... it says USB charging... i have another charger 700mA charger for an older samsung phone and when plugged in it said AC charging... this is weird... i'll try my regular charger when i get home...

EDIT: I tried a different charger today (the one i always use) with a different cable than the ones i used yesterday and charging is back to Normal... This is weird because i've used that other charger before as well as the same cable and everything was fine. Oh well... at least i know now it's not a phone issue.

Last edited:

highexpects

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Its weird that know one seems to know the trick to fixing the slow charging with ANY portable device.
So let me explain,
Anytime your phone, Ipad, Notebook, Laptop, Phone or whatever get really low on battery. Your phone draws more power from the charger cable trying to keep it charged, causing major heat in the phone and even more current draw from the charger cable.
Like those times when you realize your at a low percent and continue using your phone while its plugged in anyways because you have games to play or heavier apps to use like Navigator, while its plugged into the car.
The high current draw causes alot of heat in the cable and triggers a safety deal within the cable, limiting the current draw to prevent overheating damage to any device, causing about a 80% reduction in charging current (or speed). I've even seen them not charge at all anymore if they got really hot and fixed all these issues just by putting the charger cable in the fridge or freezer for about 30 mins.
This will reset the cable to work properly again.
This actually just happened on my new galaxy note edge just a couple hours ago and had to do this to get the fast charging back again.
Cheers everyone!