Gear S with Note 4? Plan mandatory??

Douglas Yarnold

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
I just upgraded to the Samsung Galaxy Note 4. I have a Gear 2 Neo that pairs with it nicely via Bluetooth. No additional plan necessary.
I am considering buying the new Gear S to pair with the Note 4. The AT&T rep told me that I had to sign up for the $10/month plan, so I didn't buy it. I always have my phone with me, so paying for the Gear S plan made no sense to me.
However, Ive heard that I could buy the Gear S, and NOT buy into the plan, and that I could use the Gear S bluetooth'ed to my Note 4, and it would function just like the Gear 2 Neo. Is this true?

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't have one but asked the same question here and was told it would function without a plan similar to the Gear 2.

Sent from my Note 4

Brian W1

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I believe they are talking about getting the Gear S at a promotional price. If you pay full price for it, then you don't have to get the 10/ month service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I believe they are talking about getting the Gear S at a promotional price. If you pay full price for it, then you don't have to get the 10/ month service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speaking of promotional price. I see Verizon sells it for $349 on contract and $399 off contract. Not much of a promo price. I am still on the fence with my smart watch choice. There are some nice Android Wear watches rolling out too.

honda-Dave

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I have the note 4 with the gear S and I love it. If I ever want to roll without my phone, I can have my calls forwarded to the watch, and with the plan, you can do so much more with the watch.

Galaxy Note 4
Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4
Galaxy Tab 2
Galaxy Gear S/ Gear 1 Tizen
Galaxy Circle/ Gear Level speaker

ChemMan

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I don't see the use in getting the Gear S without the $10/ month plan. New number and can make and receive calls with or without the phone. Great when you realize you don't have the phone with you.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I don't see the use in getting the Gear S without the $10/ month plan. New number and can make and receive calls with or without the phone. Great when you realize you don't have the phone with you.
I bought my watch in February and had the plan through T-Mobile. It was nice as you said to be able to leave the phone at home and still get calls and texts through the watch from the phone. I cancelled the plan a few days ago because I just didn't feel it was worth it.

If I want to, I can always use the SIM from one of my other activated phones in the watch and it will still work and then I can leave the phone at home. My watch doesn't care what T-Mobile sim I have in the phone as long as it has a data plan with active minutes and texts.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
I bought a gear s off of craigslist for less than half price and I do not have it activated through my plan as I don't leave my phone anywhere and I can not justify paying every month for the one or two times a year I may forget my phone at home. It does everything via Bluetooth. The ONLY feature you lose by not activating it is getting phone calls.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I bought a gear s off of craigslist for less than half price and I do not have it activated through my plan as I don't leave my phone anywhere and I can not justify paying every month for the one or two times a year I may forget my phone at home. It does everything via Bluetooth. The ONLY feature you lose by not activating it is getting phone calls.

You still get calls from the phone forwarded to the watch.

JnEricsonx

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, Im really torn on this. On one hand, it'd be cool to go full on sci-fi communicator feel by leaving the phone at home. On the other hand, the only times I DO leave my phone at home is when I'm going to be back home in less time than a sitcom episode minus commercials, so in that regard, BT for calls and data through my phone is better than dropping 10 a month.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress