Opinions Please

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I currently have a Note 4, have had it for awhile. Love it except it's too large. I bought it because I love the screen and thought the size wouldn't be an issue. I have rarely used the Spen.

I had thought about trading for the S6 but balked because of battery life. I see now the S6 Active is out. Same screen except smaller. Battery life also seems to be much improved.

Would I be crazy to switch?

jordyd

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
As much as I love my Note 4, I have seriously considered changing to an S6 just to be a little more comfortable size, however it's the battery life that's putting me off swapping to an S6.

Honestly though, 90% of the time, I find the Note 4 a perfect size, just a few times I find it a little large.

But no, its not a bad thing to think about doing it. The S6 is an equally great device IMO just with alot worse battery.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
There is a whole field of medium-sized phones with an array of features. Two of the major reasons to buy in the Note line are a large screen and S-Pen. Since you'll be giving up S-Pen, I'd take a look at a wider range of phones and see if there is something else out there that really suits your needs.

Obviously, if you are really into Samsung, then it is what it is - you're probably looking at the S6 line. The S6 active specs out pretty good overall, and the smaller screen plus significantly larger battery should bode very well for battery life.

GSMArena's endurance rating puts it well above the S6 and the Note 4 in terms of the battery life: Samsung Galaxy S6 active vs. Samsung Galaxy S6 vs. Samsung Galaxy Note 4 - GSMArena.com

But, what features are the most important to you in a phone?

PublicImageLtd

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
I currently have a Note 4, have had it for awhile. Love it except it's too large. I bought it because I love the screen and thought the size wouldn't be an issue. I have rarely used the Spen.

I had thought about trading for the S6 but balked because of battery life. I see now the S6 Active is out. Same screen except smaller. Battery life also seems to be much improved.

Large? No no no, I wish the screen was 6"

Posted via the Android Central App

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Another factor to think about is whether you really need the latest and greatest. My wife is very happy with her Galaxy S5. It is a perfectly fine, small phone with an SD slot and replaceable battery.

It's 5 months older and has a Snapdragon 801 instead of an 805, meaning you get Krait 400s (2.5GHz) instead of 450s (2.7GHz). You get basically the same camera. Sunlight visibility is not QUITE as good as the Note 4 but it's pretty solid. You will probably be one Android version "behind" at end-of-life, and you lose a little battery life even with the smaller screen. But you can snag an International Unlocked for $400, no contract.

And the Moto X 2014 is even cheaper at $300, and is a solid little performer that is a great balance between screen size and functionality, and will get Android updates at nearly Nexus speeds for a while longer. I still have mine as a backup, but I tend to use the hell out of my phones and in the end the battery life was just not enough for me. It's no slouch, I was getting 6 hours SOT, but that's not enough - until 9 hours SOT becomes standard I will need a battery I can swap for the forseeable future.

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

At the end of the day, you gotta be comfortable with your device. So, go for it....the S6 Active is an awesome device! Please don't keep us hanging if you do switch, come back and let us know how it went!

jordyd

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
It's a shame Samsung didn't release something like 'Galaxy S6 Extra' - basically the S6 with a bigger battery (thicker device).

I know there's the Active - but I don't like the design and bezels.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch