04-12-2018 08:31 AM
156 ... 23456 ...
tools
    Add me to the list. Tmobile note 4, started problems after MM update, have wiped the phone several times, deleted cache, factory resets, etc., tried to downgrade, but couldn't, reflashed with stock mm from tmobile, still random shut downs, restarts for no reason, sometimes gets hot, battery draining quick (I have 2, one is newer, does it with both). Anyone on custom rom not having the problem and if so, which rom are you using?
    08-18-2016 08:09 PM
    Bought me a Verizon Note 4 off Ebay. It already has Marshmallow on it. Had it for about 3 weeks. So far, no issues.
    09-06-2016 07:21 PM
    So after having my note 4 re-flashed at best-buy and it still not working, I thought it was just going to be a useless restarting brick forever. However after I plugged it into the wall charger and let it fully charge, I managed to turn it on and it stayed on for as long as I left it plugged in. The moment I removed the wire from the phone, it shut off. So I thought "It must be the battery", yet when I unplug the phone charger from the wall, the phone was holding the charge just fine, it's only when the wire itself is removed from the phone that it would start the reboot-loop!

*Edit add* -Still reboots when at 50% and lower if using camera/installing/uninstalling heavy apps

Short version:
    Keep the wire plugged into the phone after fully charging, remove wall charger but keep wire connected to phone.
    - It may look stupid, but it works, hopefully till an update fixes whatever that issue is.
    Hai.

have you fixed your note 4. pls let me know. I have the same issue with my note 4 . thanks
    09-13-2016 03:05 PM
    I'm running a custom ROM on my Note 4 so I haven't had any problems with lag or crashing or rebooting.

I was running Lollipop on my Note 4 until about two weeks ago. The only way I wanted to go to MM was with a custom ROM just as I was running when I was on Lollipop.
    If you don't mind my asking, where did you get the MM ROM? And what did you use to root/ install it?

I've had this going on for 3 weeks now, and my phone has gotten completely useless. Messaging, email, phone, EVERYTHING crashes and "must be stopped" on open. if I go into the Play store, it reboots the phone. Plus, that happens anyway at random. Verizon phone, MM pushed about a month or 2 ago, 32GB card. My warranty is expired, and I pay for coverage on my wife's phone and my 2 daughters' iphones, never needed it on mine -until now.

this is me, aggravated. Had to move my SiM to an old S4 Mini.
    09-27-2016 08:40 PM
    If you don't mind my asking, where did you get the MM ROM? And what did you use to root/ install it?

I've had this going on for 3 weeks now, and my phone has gotten completely useless. Messaging, email, phone, EVERYTHING crashes and "must be stopped" on open. if I go into the Play store, it reboots the phone. Plus, that happens anyway at random. Verizon phone, MM pushed about a month or 2 ago, 32GB card. My warranty is expired, and I pay for coverage on my wife's phone and my 2 daughters' iphones, never needed it on mine -until now.

this is me, aggravated. Had to move my SiM to an old S4 Mini.
    XDA has a forum just for Note 4 users to root their phones and has many different ROMs that you can install on your phone.

I prefer the ROMs that don't have anything special added and all they do is strip out the carrier bloat. Mine didn't even have the maps app or Gmail installed. I had to install Gmail. I have six lines on my T-Mobile plan so I keep one of them in my Note 4. I don't always use this phone and with my custom ROM installed, I have been able to get 5 days standby with about 2 hrs screen time spread out over those days. I have found these ROMs greatly improve the battery performance.

I have a T-Mobile Note 4 so what I did was search Google for XDA T-Mobile Note 4 and it will take to your phones section on that site. Lots of good stuff, have fun.

And don't worry, just follow the instructions and you won't ruin your phone.
    09-28-2016 11:33 AM
    I have only had my Note 4 since October 2015 and it is doing the same thing since Marshmallow. Random lag, unresponsive to touch, spontaneous reboot multiple times within a couple of hours. I regularly swap between 3 different Samsung batteries and I don't think it has anything to do with the batteries. I did a factory reset, partition cache wipe, and pulled the SD card and SIM. It has rebooted twice since I picked it up about 40 minutes ago. It's funny because I had serious issues with a Note 4 on Verizon when it was upgraded to Lollipop. So I am not wasting time - called Tmobile and they are replacing it under warranty. I fully anticipate having additional problems with the new Note 4 but hopefully it will last longer than 10 months.
    I have the lag and restarting issue after upgrading to 6.01, marshmallow. Note 4 on Sprint.

I think disabling these 4 apps helped:

Lookout
    S voice
    Samsung Milk Music
    Samsung +
    10-07-2016 03:09 PM
    Add mine. note 4 tmobile. I have got MM upgrade for a while. It works fine until a few days ago. It suddenly started this random crash and rebooting nonsense.

I have tried to odin 5.1.1 ROM in, but failed. My phone boot up properly only on stock 6.0.1 rom.

Chen.
    10-23-2016 10:54 PM
    I've had the crashing problem with several Samsung OEM batteries. Finally I got an Anker battery and turned off fast charging. That seemed to resolve the problem. Then I got this 1000mA battery kept fast charging disabled and now getting over 27 hrs of battery life. I'm a little suspicious that fast charging damages the battery. [NFC/Google Wallet Capable] Anker 3220mAh Li-ion Battery for Samsung Galaxy Note 4, N910, N910U 4G LTE, N910V(Verizon), N910T(T-Mobile), N910A(AT&T), N910P(Sprint) [18-Month Warranty] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PTVUWRQ...cUvbUpU5518414 IBESTWIN Samsung Galaxy Note 4 10000mah Extended Battery + NFC + Extended Full Edge Protection Case (Fits All Versions of Galaxy Note 4) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y1Z87UU...cUvbUpU5518414
    10-24-2016 01:49 AM
    That is what I would like to know! I am jumping the Samsung ship at this point. I tried to like this phone, but I hate it.
    11-01-2016 02:59 PM
    About 1 week ago I started having major problems with my Note4. Problems being freezing, unresponsiveness, shutting down . In my time of owning the mobile it has been perfect. It is a rooted device . I then remembered seeing Samsung had finally brought out an update to Marshmallow for it, so decided to give it a go. That is when my problems began. Yesterday I had, had enough. Read people say wipe cache ,change the battery do a factory reset.
    What I have done has cured all the problems and it is now like a new phone. It is fair to say that marshmallow is the problem , well for me anyway. So I made note (pun not intended) of the model number and serial number, always useful to keep. I then went to " SAMMOBILE" and downloaded the 5.1.1 version of the operating system for my model number as I knew this worked perfectly. I wiped the phone of Marshmallow and applied Lollipop. Should you try this don't forget to go into system on your phone and un-tick automatic downloads in the system/about device settings menu. Hope that is of some help .
    monsieurms likes this.
    11-14-2016 04:56 AM
    Downgraded to 5.1.1 got from Sammobile ,flashed using Odin and using Dr Ketan custom Rom. So phone has Note5 and S7 features.
    11-14-2016 05:05 AM
    The overall issue sounds exactly like a battery with one or more failing/intermittent cells. If one cell is going and all the rest of the cells have a lot of charge, it's possible that the other cells can "carry the load" when the one cell checks out on you. However, if all cells are partly discharged, the other cells may be at a low enough voltage themselves that they cannot make up the difference, and the Battery Management System detects a dangerously low voltage and puts the battery in shutdown.

In general, when someone says "my battery dies at [insert number above 0% here]", my first instinct is "find a friend with a Note 4 and try their battery" or "drop 20 bucks on a new battery and see if that helps".

It's rare not to get a message "Yay!!! That worked!!!!" back.
    I did that and it still didn't work!
    11-28-2016 07:05 PM
    new batteries and a factory wipe did it for me. its been running very smooth and clean since then. fingers crossed.
    12-02-2016 12:16 PM
    I'm a new victim of this. (6.0.1)\

I'm finding it happens with touch on balky programs. There were a lot of them--suddenly lag was horrendous. SOmetimes, though, it reboots just sitting on charger while streaming music, no touching, no use other than streaming.

Samsung keyboard was operating weirdly and very, very slowly. I replaced it with Google and disabled Samsung; then uninstalled All In ONe Toolbox, which affects start up and various monitoring activities. I thought that might be a culprit.

It seems much snappier since I replaced the Samsung keyboard with Google. Hopefully, this helps, but I'm by no means confident as there has been even one or two more reboots since.

Annoyed. I too am convinced some update created this problem, changing it from an occasional once-a-month annoyance to 5x a day.

If what I did doesn't completely fix it, maybe at least I'll be back to an occasional annoyance. I'm not rooted. Downgrading looks difficult. I'd like not to reset the whole phone.
    12-07-2016 07:17 PM
    Well, not completely fixed. Reinstalled All in One as that didn't appear to be the problem--and boot ups were suddenly painfully slow, too.

--It seems to happen a lot when the phone network or wifi is sluggish and then you touch the screen wondering why it isn't loading or moving or scrolling.
    12-09-2016 07:15 AM
    I don't know if it is "fixed," but I think I have a handle on all.

First, installing Google Keyboard definitely helped, although alone it was not a solution.
    Second, I disabled the "notification bar" notifications for Easy Copy.
    Third, instead of uninstalling All-in-one Toolbox, I reinstalled and worked with it to block most start up programs (choosing carefully to keep some I wanted active immediately like weather, like my airlines app).
    Fourth, while what I did dramatically reduced lag and also eliminated rebooting (so far--I will bet nothing is perfect), I also learned not to get impatient with a second of lag and keep flipping the screen. That's often when a reboot would've occurred. Wait until resolves. Annoying, but now that lag has been reduced, not as annoying as before.

Haven't had a reboot since. I also sent All in One to notify me of heavy RAM usage (over 80%), and I find I am periodically getting those notifications.I don't think I've changed habits much, but over the years, I've definitely loaded this up with lots of stuff. Maybe too much memory usage. Will still have to play with that and do more analysis on what has been using memory.I did recently switch Calendar-Agenda widgets Candl Apps 1.4.16.11.13 ; and Weather Widget (DevExpert.net 3.9.1). I really like those--hope it is not them.
    12-10-2016 07:31 AM
    today my phone rebooted to a black black that says "downloading do not turn off target"

its so stressfull, i want to get another phone but there isnt one i like....anyone thought of leaving samsung for another phone like a Note? I really like the Note but this is horrible
    12-10-2016 01:04 PM
    Note 4 started crashing a few months ago after an update. We have the same symptoms.
    AT&T phone. It was fine before update.
    12-13-2016 10:51 AM
    Yeah, what I thought were fixes really weren't. They have all helped, but not exactly solved the problem. reduced number of lockscreen wallpaper changes to one instead of rotating a dozen images. That has helped too. But... Something is leeching more memory. I am convinced that the underlying problem is more going on than the phone can handle at a given moment. Why now and not a month ago, good question. There are always some app updates coming down the pike, as well as system updates. Changed calendar and weather widgets. THat's about it. Edited: oh, and malware bytes on top of AVG. I'm thinking just too many things in the background, plus whatever I don't know happened in updates. It needs to be wiped and carefully reloaded, although I do have it to a point now where it is not happening much.
    12-13-2016 03:52 PM
    I want something with memory card, I think I'm going get the s7 edge...giving up on waiting for note 8. My phone is so bad right now.
    12-13-2016 06:24 PM
    I want something with memory card, I think I'm going get the s7 edge...giving up on waiting for note 8. My phone is so bad right now.
    This was going through my mind, too, although I'm resolved to wait, but if I had to pull the trigger it would likely be the LG V20 just now.

P.s. Assuming it is a hardware problem, there are still plenty of Note 4s, new, on ebay at reasonable prices. Of course, hardware defects may not be the issue.
    12-14-2016 07:36 AM
    I've had two Note 4's both had the same issues - ATT. The first one with the multiple reboots was on lollipop. The second was on MM. Nothing I did would stop the reboots, freezing, lagging.
    The first time the Samsung guy at BestBuy had never heard of this issue with Note 4. The second time (the one on MM) I took it back to him (he actually couldn't believe that I was back with same issue on a replacement) this time though he did mention that he had heard of this issue happening after the MM update. Irregardless, I am now on my 3rd Note 4 which had lollipop on it, but since updated to MM. So time will tell if this 3rd one does it as well.

I told my hubby I want a Pixel for Xmas. I'm done with this.
    12-14-2016 10:54 AM
    I've been running this ROM on my T-Mobile Note 4 and it has just been absolutely perfect. No reboots. No crashes.

Note4 crashing/rebooting seems widespread-screenshot_2016-12-14-09-57-47.jpg
    12-14-2016 10:59 AM
    I have a Edge now, I wonder if the note issue is a hardware issue...
    12-14-2016 11:33 AM
    Well, I'm making incremental progress in restoring some normalcy. I suspect it's not going to be 100%, but I've got it to a point where it isn't crashing every day, let alone eveyr hour.

I remain convinced that this was a memory issue. I used, as noted, All in one to disable boot up for many programs that I don't need running all the time. I moved all non-kindle books into the Kindle directory instead of /books. I cleared the Kindle cache and reloaded the program. That seemed to help a lot. I think a lot of the memory bleeding was coming from Kindle (I do have a couple of thousand ebooks on the phone, but it was never a problem before...). There has also been a slew of new app updates in the next few days--maybe some closed any memory leaks in response to problems.

In any event, the phone is much snappier and less prone to crash. We'll see how long that continues, but I'm feeling pretty good now. I think it will still be time to choose between a Note 8 or LG V20 when they are both available, but less urgency now.
    12-15-2016 05:55 PM
156 ... 23456 ...