Note4 crashing/rebooting seems widespread

gimemoore

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I am assuming everyone with this issue is using a 64gb sd card??

I had the same issues. Everything I read ties it to an issue between the update and the memory card, so I tried 2 different 64gb cards, and still had the issues. I tried a microcenter branded card, a Samsung card, and a PNY). I replaced the 64gb card with a 16gb card, and haven't had a reboot in several weeks.

I hope they get this sorted out, so I can go back to my larger card.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I am assuming everyone with this issue is using a 64gb sd card??

I had the same issues. Everything I read ties it to an issue between the update and the memory card, so I tried 2 different 64gb cards, and still had the issues. I tried a microcenter branded card, a Samsung card, and a PNY). I replaced the 64gb card with a 16gb card, and haven't had a reboot in several weeks.

I hope they get this sorted out, so I can go back to my larger card.

I'm running with a 128GB Samsung EVO card on MM without any reboots.

lapk78

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I run 64GB card with having these problems. However, after reading someone else's thoughts relating these problems to the simply using an SD card, I completely removed mine for about a week. Doing this DID NOT solve my problems. It would still freeze and/or reboot pretty frequently.

I'm contemplating learning how to root and rolling back to Lollipop or KitKat. Is this even possible to do? Has anyone attempted this?

Could some kind soul please point me in the right direction for accomplishing this? I've Googled this a bit, but have seen too many differing ways. Which is the best/easiest/safest way? I have absolutely ZERO experience at rooting, etc.

mrmoe110

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
My Verizon Note 4 has started lagging, freezing, then rebooting. It just started yesterday July 7, 2016.

Posted via the Android Central App

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
I run 64GB card with having these problems. However, after reading someone else's thoughts relating these problems to the simply using an SD card, I completely removed mine for about a week. Doing this DID NOT solve my problems. It would still freeze and/or reboot pretty frequently.

I'm contemplating learning how to root and rolling back to Lollipop or KitKat. Is this even possible to do? Has anyone attempted this?

Could some kind soul please point me in the right direction for accomplishing this? I've Googled this a bit, but have seen too many differing ways. Which is the best/easiest/safest way? I have absolutely ZERO experience at rooting, etc.

Maybe this will help:
Galaxy Note 4: How to Downgrade to Android 4.4.4 KitKat
let us know it goes.

Id037451

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site
Same issue since last week here.Removing SD card, even SIM card, factory reset : no cure.....
I could solve the problem by installing WakeLock app (free) from Play Store. Configure it to PARTIAL_WAKE_LOCK.

bable

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Has a factory reset or Odin to stock actually fixed this for anyone? Just started last night for me after 20 months of flawless performance outside of known software bugs...

bable

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Has a factory reset or Odin to stock actually fixed this for anyone? Just started last night for me after 20 months of flawless performance outside of known software bugs...

Didn't fix it... Neither did removing the sd, rolling back to KK, or tweaking wake lock permissions.

Bugs like these are how people end up with glitzy glass wrapped upgrades :(

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
I have only had my Note 4 since October 2015 and it is doing the same thing since Marshmallow. Random lag, unresponsive to touch, spontaneous reboot multiple times within a couple of hours. I regularly swap between 3 different Samsung batteries and I don't think it has anything to do with the batteries. I did a factory reset, partition cache wipe, and pulled the SD card and SIM. It has rebooted twice since I picked it up about 40 minutes ago. It's funny because I had serious issues with a Note 4 on Verizon when it was upgraded to Lollipop. So I am not wasting time - called Tmobile and they are replacing it under warranty. I fully anticipate having additional problems with the new Note 4 but hopefully it will last longer than 10 months.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm running a custom ROM on my Note 4 so I haven't had any problems with lag or crashing or rebooting.

I was running Lollipop on my Note 4 until about two weeks ago. The only way I wanted to go to MM was with a custom ROM just as I was running when I was on Lollipop.

grizzylemon

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Add me to the list. Tmobile note 4, started problems after MM update, have wiped the phone several times, deleted cache, factory resets, etc., tried to downgrade, but couldn't, reflashed with stock mm from tmobile, still random shut downs, restarts for no reason, sometimes gets hot, battery draining quick (I have 2, one is newer, does it with both). Anyone on custom rom not having the problem and if so, which rom are you using?

Ansaririsha

Sep 13, 2016
Visit site
So after having my note 4 re-flashed at best-buy and it still not working, I thought it was just going to be a useless restarting brick forever. However after I plugged it into the wall charger and let it fully charge, I managed to turn it on and it stayed on for as long as I left it plugged in. The moment I removed the wire from the phone, it shut off. So I thought "It must be the battery", yet when I unplug the phone charger from the wall, the phone was holding the charge just fine, it's only when the wire itself is removed from the phone that it would start the reboot-loop!

*Edit add* -Still reboots when at 50% and lower if using camera/installing/uninstalling heavy apps

Short version:
Keep the wire plugged into the phone after fully charging, remove wall charger but keep wire connected to phone.
- It may look stupid, but it works, hopefully till an update fixes whatever that issue is.

Hai.

have you fixed your note 4. pls let me know. I have the same issue with my note 4 . thanks

Downslide

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
NexusGirlX said:
I'm running a custom ROM on my Note 4 so I haven't had any problems with lag or crashing or rebooting.

I was running Lollipop on my Note 4 until about two weeks ago. The only way I wanted to go to MM was with a custom ROM just as I was running when I was on Lollipop.

If you don't mind my asking, where did you get the MM ROM? And what did you use to root/ install it?

I've had this going on for 3 weeks now, and my phone has gotten completely useless. Messaging, email, phone, EVERYTHING crashes and "must be stopped" on open. if I go into the Play store, it reboots the phone. Plus, that happens anyway at random. Verizon phone, MM pushed about a month or 2 ago, 32GB card. My warranty is expired, and I pay for coverage on my wife's phone and my 2 daughters' iphones, never needed it on mine -until now.

this is me, aggravated. Had to move my SiM to an old S4 Mini.:mad:

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
If you don't mind my asking, where did you get the MM ROM? And what did you use to root/ install it?

I've had this going on for 3 weeks now, and my phone has gotten completely useless. Messaging, email, phone, EVERYTHING crashes and "must be stopped" on open. if I go into the Play store, it reboots the phone. Plus, that happens anyway at random. Verizon phone, MM pushed about a month or 2 ago, 32GB card. My warranty is expired, and I pay for coverage on my wife's phone and my 2 daughters' iphones, never needed it on mine -until now.

this is me, aggravated. Had to move my SiM to an old S4 Mini.:mad:
XDA has a forum just for Note 4 users to root their phones and has many different ROMs that you can install on your phone.

I prefer the ROMs that don't have anything special added and all they do is strip out the carrier bloat. Mine didn't even have the maps app or Gmail installed. I had to install Gmail. I have six lines on my T-Mobile plan so I keep one of them in my Note 4. I don't always use this phone and with my custom ROM installed, I have been able to get 5 days standby with about 2 hrs screen time spread out over those days. I have found these ROMs greatly improve the battery performance.

I have a T-Mobile Note 4 so what I did was search Google for XDA T-Mobile Note 4 and it will take to your phones section on that site. Lots of good stuff, have fun.

And don't worry, just follow the instructions and you won't ruin your phone.

Walee9325

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
I have only had my Note 4 since October 2015 and it is doing the same thing since Marshmallow. Random lag, unresponsive to touch, spontaneous reboot multiple times within a couple of hours. I regularly swap between 3 different Samsung batteries and I don't think it has anything to do with the batteries. I did a factory reset, partition cache wipe, and pulled the SD card and SIM. It has rebooted twice since I picked it up about 40 minutes ago. It's funny because I had serious issues with a Note 4 on Verizon when it was upgraded to Lollipop. So I am not wasting time - called Tmobile and they are replacing it under warranty. I fully anticipate having additional problems with the new Note 4 but hopefully it will last longer than 10 months.

I have the lag and restarting issue after upgrading to 6.01, marshmallow. Note 4 on Sprint.

I think disabling these 4 apps helped:

Lookout
S voice
Samsung Milk Music
Samsung +

robomacro

Oct 24, 2016
Visit site
Add mine. note 4 tmobile. I have got MM upgrade for a while. It works fine until a few days ago. It suddenly started this random crash and rebooting nonsense.

I have tried to odin 5.1.1 ROM in, but failed. My phone boot up properly only on stock 6.0.1 rom. :(

Chen.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I've had the crashing problem with several Samsung OEM batteries. Finally I got an Anker battery and turned off fast charging. That seemed to resolve the problem. Then I got this 1000mA battery kept fast charging disabled and now getting over 27 hrs of battery life. I'm a little suspicious that fast charging damages the battery. [NFC/Google Wallet Capable] Anker 3220mAh Li-ion Battery for Samsung Galaxy Note 4, N910, N910U 4G LTE, N910V(Verizon), N910T(T-Mobile), N910A(AT&T), N910P(Sprint) [18-Month Warranty] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PTVUWR...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5518414 IBESTWIN Samsung Galaxy Note 4 10000mah Extended Battery + NFC + Extended Full Edge Protection Case (Fits All Versions of Galaxy Note 4) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y1Z87U...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5518414

Rocco2

Nov 14, 2016
Visit site
About 1 week ago I started having major problems with my Note4. Problems being freezing, unresponsiveness, shutting down . In my time of owning the mobile it has been perfect. It is a rooted device . I then remembered seeing Samsung had finally brought out an update to Marshmallow for it, so decided to give it a go. That is when my problems began. Yesterday I had, had enough. Read people say wipe cache ,change the battery do a factory reset.
What I have done has cured all the problems and it is now like a new phone. It is fair to say that marshmallow is the problem , well for me anyway. So I made note (pun not intended) of the model number and serial number, always useful to keep. I then went to " SAMMOBILE" and downloaded the 5.1.1 version of the operating system for my model number as I knew this worked perfectly. I wiped the phone of Marshmallow and applied Lollipop. Should you try this don't forget to go into system on your phone and un-tick automatic downloads in the system/about device settings menu. Hope that is of some help .

Downgraded to 5.1.1 got from Sammobile ,flashed using Odin and using Dr Ketan custom Rom. So phone has Note5 and S7 features.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non