AT&T N910A Marshmallow Update Out Now

AXEL314

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
After update, is Factory Reset recommended?

When I updated to MM, I didn't do a factory reset (that just seems too drastic). I did a cache wipe in recovery mode, battery pull, and SD card unmount. I've hadn't any issues with random reboots or phone getting excessively hot, or anything else like that.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
After update, is Factory Reset recommended?

I have had random problems in the past with OS upgrades and no factory reset. Your decision is yours, but I've found that taking the hour or so to get everything back up to speed after a fresh reset is worth not having ongoing odd problems for weeks and not knowing whether it's a new "feature" in the OS or a result of some bad data left over from the old OS or something.

Just make sure everything is backed up. :)

Others feel differently, and in general most people don't run into problems. You can always save the full reset for the first time you see something odd that you'd rather not live with (if you ever run into anything), if you prefer.

shizam76

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Did the update. ONLY thing I notice is that now when I have a headset in and am on a phone call, it auto mutes me while I am surfing...responding to textm etc, while the phone call is "minimized". When I am muted the phone icon in the notification area blinks. I have to bring the call up on full screen and hit the MIC button to unmute. So, I can't do ANYTHING else now while on a phone call because it just mutes me.

I can't find a setting anywhere. HELP please! Anyone else seeing this?

Bryan Lucas

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Mine just downloaded, but as much as I've been wanting this, I'm hesitant to try it before I hear about other people's experiences. The 5.0.1 update hosed my phone for about 9 months while I waited for 5.1.1

Bryan Lucas

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Well, I threw caution to the wind and did it. I do have a couple of backup phones if it's a disaster.

The result: no problems at all.

It's hard to even tell that I even upgraded the OS. So far this is what I have found is new:

• WiFi Calling (most obvious because of a pop-up message about it)
  • Video Call
  • Samsung app icons are rounded, not square
  • Slight change to brightness slider
  • It's possible that the finger print reader works better
  • Advanced Messaging (worthless because it only works with recent Samsung and LG phones on AT&T)
  • Google Now on Tap
  • The S-Pen Air command menu is better and lets you add your own apps

I don't see anything about Doze or App Standby and I still don't have the multiple user logins like my $50 Moto E.

b2d2

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I think I'm getting the update now. The "Device Management" service has been downloading a 'software update' for about an hour or so now (work wi-fi isn't quite as responsive as mine at home). Drum roll please...

** UPDATE ** Android 6... (still updating and optimizing the apps on the device).

What should I expect or look out for?

Last edited:

bobxxz

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Battery life was horrible after I did the update. I reset the phone last night and installed all my apps. Surprisingly, I only lost 2% overnight for standby. So far last couple hours of usage battery has been great.

b2d2

May 3, 2011
Visit site
So it seems the battery is draining faster than it's being charged, it won't hold a Wifi connection (which is not unusual given the history of my office location), and MMS group messages don't come in thru Google Hangouts (which I have used for a while now). Ideas?

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
The universe is mocking me. I gave AT&T loads of crap for taking so effing long on this update, and upgraded to the Note 7. I just turned it in for a loaner S7 Edge until the new Note 7's are released, and now my Note 4 gets updated.

b2d2

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Well, so far, so good. After an initial bit of 'unsettledness', it seems to hold on to the Wi-Fi connection here at the office a bit better--which is no small feat--and I like the "on-the-charger-dimmed-view-but-not-totally-off" mode. Is that the "Doze" mode that I read a blurb about?

catberryday

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
The update fried my sister's Note 4. It never made it past the ATT logo and blue led. Finally it shut completely off and will not come on. She had to take it to ATT. It had even ruined her SD card. They made her use her husband's upgrade. She got a s7 active to use until November when she can upgrade to the Note 7. He'll get the active then.

I wasn't able to backup everything when it said it would install. I was in the middle of backing up! Why do they force install updates?

The1Metallian

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
@bobxxz

Is your battery still performing well? Mine is doing terrible after the upgrade. I did a factory reset over the weekend, but still the same. Other than that, the phone performs better than ever, but the battery is killing me!

catberryday

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
@bobxxz

Is your battery still performing well? Mine is doing terrible after the upgrade. I did a factory reset over the weekend, but still the same. Other than that, the phone performs better than ever, but the battery is killing me!
Mine isn't doing well either. According to Gsam it's Google Playstore and Google Play services.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa