08-13-2015 10:10 AM
1,007 ... 3031323334 ...
tools
    This may be good news for some people

Those wishing the Galaxy Note 5 would bring back the microSD slot to Samsung flagships will be interested in a report from Taiwanese site Sogi.com.tw, which says that the dual SIM version of the upcoming Galaxy Note 5 will feature a microSD slot. The slot will be a hybrid slot like the one seen on Samsung’s Galaxy A series that will allow users to either use a second SIM card or opt to expand their storage instead.
    mclarryjr likes this.
    08-07-2015 08:33 AM
    We will find out for sure on Thursday.
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.
    08-07-2015 08:53 AM

The one issue I do have with my Note 4 which may drive me back to an iPhone myself at some point is the bluetooth skips like crazy during music playback.
    Can you describe this issue more? I play music from Play Music through a Bluetooth speaker sometimes from my Note 4, but I've never noticed the music skipping.

3. Take a leaf out of Apple's book and realise that flagship phones don't have to have all the latest and greatest technical innovations.

6. Reduce the number of flagship models. No need for a whole mess of variations of Galaxy and Note models. Again, look at what Apple does in that respect. Don't bother for eg, making an "active" Galaxy model. Have the one Galaxy flagship that has all the features of an active model regardless.
    I disagree with the two points that I left above. I like the fact that Samsung pushes the envelope. By virtue of being one of the largest smartphone OEMs, Samsung's features impact the entire smartphone industry to motivate other OEMs to innovate and refine the features that they offer. We all benefit from the bar being pushed upward.

I also like that the Active series is separate from the regular phones of the Galaxy S series. I'm not one into the "premium" (whatever that is) look of a phone. At the same time, I don't want my phone to look like some waterproof tank with a glass screen. If people have waterproofing needs for their phones, that can be accomplished with special cases and wraps better than it can with charging port flaps that break easily.
    08-07-2015 08:58 AM
    I totally agree. I come from a Note II and upgraded to the Note 4 last year. Now, the Note 4 is still ranked by many as one of the top ten Android phones. It would take more than the announced specs for me to upgrade (assuming it is an upgrade).

700 dollars or euros to get a non removable, smaller battery, barely better screen and non memory slot is a rip off.

This year's Samsung crop is totally disappointing to me, as the company seems to limit its product marketing to "delivering iphones on Android". That is bound to fail.

Cynically, I wish the Note 5 to fail, in order to see, this time next year, a Note 6 emerging with decent specifications (a somewhat larger screen, i.e. 5.9", a much more powerful and removable battery and the return of the SD slot). Else, it's LG.
    monsieurms likes this.
    08-07-2015 09:19 AM
    People are still scared of Android. Like they're scared of Linux.

To them Android is for nerds who can write software or have years of experience.

Too much configuring to do.

The Note 5 will appeal as a high end product, but if they (Samsung) are after Apple cores (!) they would have to dumb it down some more.

They may lose Apple buyers AND Note fans.
    08-07-2015 09:40 AM
    I mean, we won't "really know" until they feed it to us. Could be an overclocked 7420. It's hard to get super worked up over rumors. When the actual product disappoints, then I'll be angry.
    08-07-2015 10:02 AM
    I am skeptical of OP's assertion that S6 sales is worse than S5 and that its the battery/SD behind the sales. I would have to ask a solid source for these statements.

Without a concrete sales data for the past few months, without concrete analysis of it, I found it hard to believe Samsung would somehow push ahead a design if they knew it has failed S6.

I personally will never buy a phone w/o removable battery and sd slot, but I am unsure there are enough people like me (and OP and many others) to have a significant impact on its sales.
    08-07-2015 10:03 AM
    Sorry to burst your happy bubble, but all the recent rumors seem to be pointing towards a higher-clocked E7420 rather than the E7422.

I would seriously want the Exynos 7422 to be in it because it is an AIO chip. Meaning that the CPU, GPU, RAM, storage and modem are all inside one chip.

The benefit is obvious. More space for a bigger battery, hence all those 4100mAh battery rumors.
    I think that is causing the confusion and some are assuming the 7420 is equal to the 7422 and that is not in any stretch the case. The 7422 naming is incrementally odd considering the differences the chip has from the 7420.
    08-07-2015 10:06 AM
    I would seriously want the Exynos 7422 to be in it because it is an AIO chip. Meaning that the CPU, GPU, RAM, storage and modem are all inside one chip.
    Are you sure about this? I know 7422 includes modem, but never seen any source on including RAM, storage.
    08-07-2015 10:07 AM
    This may be good news for some people

Those wishing the Galaxy Note 5 would bring back the microSD slot to Samsung flagships will be interested in a report from Taiwanese site Sogi.com.tw, which says that the dual SIM version of the upcoming Galaxy Note 5 will feature a microSD slot. The slot will be a hybrid slot like the one seen on Samsung’s Galaxy A series that will allow users to either use a second SIM card or opt to expand their storage instead.
    I wouldn't get my hopes up for that to ever come stateside, and most likely it will only be compatible with the versions of that phone launched in the Chinese markets
    08-07-2015 10:16 AM
    I wouldn't get my hopes up for that to ever come stateside, and most likely it will only be compatible with the versions of that phone launched in the Chinese markets
    We will just have to wait and see
    Either way, I'm not desparate for a MicroSD card, don't mind getting the version without one since I have another device which holds my SD card
    08-07-2015 10:19 AM
    This is my basic breakdown of what I think the S7 should be to succeed. And I'll be a bit adventurous:

So basically, limiting further money and time on new technologies:

1. Retain the quad HD display......however, I would put in a Samsung innovation where you can change the display from Quad HD down to HD or less for power saving. In addition to standard power saving features such as limiting processor performance and changing the display to black and white.

2. Keep the cameras the same but bump up the rear to 20MP without sacrificing the f1.9 aperature. A xenon flash for the back and a led flash for the front. I am a big fan of my Sony compact camera that takes brilliant night photos that takes a rapid series of images then stitches them all together that hugely increases detail whilst eliminating noise. That is something that could be developed.

3. Dare to make the phone a tiny bit thicker and have a battery no less than 3500 mah.

4. Excellent front facing speakers that beat the HTC phones.

5. 128GB standard. To really win back other Android users, combine this with an SD card too. That is a hell of a lot of usable storage that a lot of people would absolutely love.

6. Consider returning to Qualcomm to save vasts amount of time and money researching and manufacturing your own processor. It works for Apple.

7. Radically cut down on bloatware. Allow users to remove all bloatware easily. And perhaps put in the settings a menu choice of a revamped TouchWiz or no TouchWiz at all, returning the phone to stock Android.

8. Make the Edge version only.

9. Whatever happened to the Android Silver program? Apparently it was scrapped. This is a bit of blue skying but what about Samsung working very closely with Google and coming to an agreement with its operating skin? Is there any conceivable way in which Google then could issue updates directly to Samsung phones like the Nexus phones? That would be a HUGE plus for Samsung. Please correct me if this is not possible but I have thought about it before.

There you go, these are my suggestions and the general direction of what I believe Samsung should do. The research on new, expensive technologies is kept to a minimum whilst maintaining a high amount of current class leading features.

What do you think?
    1. Sounds nice - but will cause the phone to cost even more money. This is one of Samsung's biggest problems - they are charging Apple prices for Android phones (so is HTC and Sony). You can obtain really good Android phones from Motorola (G and X), LG (G2-G4), Xiaomi (Redmi Note/Mi4/Mi5), Huawei (Mate 7/Honor), etc. for way less if you are willing to compromise not having bleeding specs. Apple understands this and provides an excellent experience. Xiaomi gets it as well using its phones as a means to get people to use their services. Motorola is getting there with the 2015 G (the third generation G). It took Apple three times to get it right - the 3GS was their first really good phone.
    2. Samsung has always had great cameras. Anything to improve them is a great idea.
    3. Everyone wants more battery. Definitely agree. The SGS6 Active is far from a thick phone and gets good battery life.
    4. Definitely agree here.
    5. I think 32/64/128 is fine - they just need to get rid of the $200 increase between 32 and 128. That is a joke. They could make it $50 extra per storage increase. That is fine.
    6. True but the Exynos 7420 is way better than the Snapdragon 810/808 and Samsung already manufactures processors for Apple. They will also be manufacturing the 820 for Qualcomm - I am assuming the S7 may have that processor. Still you might be on to something here. The S6 costs way too much and anything to reduce the price without sacrificing performance is a good idea.
    7. Samsung really does make some nice improvements to stock Android. They need to keep those improvements without ruining the experience.
    8. The Edge is a nice looking phone but I personally like both. If Samsung is going to just make the Edge - then they need to find a way to do it more efficiently so that it cost less to replace.
    9. I think a Google Play edition S6 would have been great - but I think this goes into more of Samsung just needing to eliminate bloat and dumb down Touchwiz even more. Samsung needs to give users reasons to install its apps (S-Pen is a great app for example). Samsung apps could connect phone/tablet/computer and show calls and messages. Apple does this well and even BlackBerry does it well with Blend.

Samsung needs to address RAM management.
    08-07-2015 10:41 AM
    I am skeptical of OP's assertion that S6 sales is worse than S5 and that its the battery/SD behind the sales. I would have to ask a solid source for these statements.

Without a concrete sales data for the past few months, without concrete analysis of it, I found it hard to believe Samsung would somehow push ahead a design if they knew it has failed S6.

I personally will never buy a phone w/o removable battery and sd slot, but I am unsure there are enough people like me (and OP and many others) to have a significant impact on its sales.
    Samsung's sales are down worldwide because of the plethora of good enough phones that are half the price being manufactured by Xiaomi, Huawei, Lenovo/Motorola, Meizu, Asus, etc. They are down here in the US because Apple finally released phones with big screens - Apple is really killing it in the States right now.
    monsieurms likes this.
    08-07-2015 10:45 AM

Not long to find out how things pan out Well, unless we get the sell-in numbers to load the inventory channels like we did with the S5 and S6 for the first two months Funny how Samsung used mainly sell-through estimates for the S4, but the lower selling S5 and S6 they used sell-in numbers which are not truly revenue driving numbers. Sell-through is actual consumer sales.
    08-07-2015 11:05 AM
    Hi all. I am the ( very happy ) owner of the Samsung Galaxy S5. I've been following the latest news and leaks for the upcoming Galaxy Note 5 but I have a real gut feeling that it's not going to do well. Here are my reasons:

Going back a bit, the last couple of Galaxy S series were criticised for not being different enough from the previous series and for sporting a plastic back. When I say criticised, I mean by online commentators which unfortunately for Samsung were the wrong people to listen to in entirety. But that's another matter. So comes the Galaxy S6 and Samsung change the look of the phone dramatically with a premium finish glass back. They also wrongly ditch the removable battery and the SD card (although leaving an SD card but ditching the removable battery would have been acceptable to the vast majority of Samsung fans I believe).

When I Google sales of the S6, it is not going well for a variety or reasons. In fact, the S5 sold better in its first month than the S6. The reasons are reactions to the loss of the SD card especially, the price, the preference of the Edge version over the regular version and the supply difficulties of the Edge version which caught Samsung by surprise. Plus of course the slaughter in the market place of the iphone 6 models. All these have combined to make the S6 less profitable than initially forecast.

Now, this is with the S6 being dramatically different to the S5. Now compare the Note 5 to Note 4. No major upgrade to front and rear cameras and the battery very disappointingly is now rumoured to be less than the Note 4 ( considering the initial rumours of a 4100mAh battery). The device will look just like a big S6 and now comes with non removable battery and no SD card. The initial rumoured usb C port will not be appearing either.

Who will want to "upgrade" from Note 4 to Note 5? The note 4 still has a very capable Snapdragon 805 processor and I doubt the average person will notice any difference from that to an 8 core processor. Similar cameras, the battery in the 4 is a little larger, same screen resolution and now you do without removing the battery or an SD card. My argument is this: if the radical changes from the S5 to the S6 failed to make a big dent in the market place, I think the Note 5 will be even less. I think the Note 5 is going to be the S5 of the Note line series in terms of sales.

Also, the stunning LG G4 Pro is coming. Massive specs, camera specs that have not been seen since the Nokia Lumia 1020 and a massive battery. Plus keeping the SD card. Seriously, I love my Galaxy S5 and I love Samsung phones in general. Not that I am looking to update anytime soon, but honestly, I would go for the upcoming LG over the "new" Note 5 as it seems to be the far better equipped phone.

And to top all that off, the iphone 6s will soon hit the stores after the Note 5. With the Note 5 being in some ways a downgrade from the Note 4, the arrival of what undoubtedly being a huge seller from Apple and then this alternative massive specs Android, I don't see the Note 5 succeeding at all. Basically, if the S6 hasn't succeeded particularly well and the Note 5 looks just like a big S6.....well you do the math.

Oh, and what a marketing disaster the S6 plus will be! OH my goodness that is going to severely tank. Why would you choose that when you can get the almost identical Note series with a stylus. That will fail miserably.

Anyone with similar or disagreeing comments?
    Yes I disagree on several grounds. For starters, your post is saturated with the words "SD card" and "removable battery". With that in mind if I had simply changed the title of this thread to just be one of the hundreds of SD/removable battery debate threads that already exist here no-one would even notice your post was about the upcoming Note 5.

Now to look at that in further detail, you said,
    "Going back a bit, the last couple of Galaxy S series were criticised for not being different enough from the previous series and for sporting a plastic back. When I say criticised, I mean by online commentators which unfortunately for Samsung were the wrong people to listen to in entirety."
    How do you know this? There's no solid evidence that the upgraded design change isn't welcome. We could sit here all day posting link wars at each other to say "see? this article says the design change was/wasn't wanted" but that's' all they would be - opinions written by tech bloggers or reader comments. There's no real evidence to support your statement.

You also said,
    "When I Google sales of the S6, it is not going well for a variety or reasons. In fact, the S5 sold better in its first month than the S6. The reasons are reactions to the loss of the SD card especially, the price, the preference of the Edge version over the regular version and the supply difficulties of the Edge version which caught Samsung by surprise. Plus of course the slaughter in the market place of the iphone 6 models. All these have combined to make the S6 less profitable than initially forecast."

The reasons are reactions to the loss of the SD card especially? Once again, how do you know this? Nobody knows this, you're just speculating because it's an obvious point of dislike for you, but there's absolutely no solid evidence to back that. And I repeat once again for emphasis, opinions posted by bloggers do not qualify as solid evidence. Could I not just as easily come back and say, "Judging by the massive success of the iPhone, consumers appear indifferent to the lack of SD card or removable battery." Sure I could. But I couldn't support that with any solid evidence.

Let's just call this thread what it really is, a thread about you not liking phones that don't have SD Cards and removable batteries.
    08-07-2015 11:09 AM
    This is only going to be in the international dual sim card version. It will be hard to even lay hands on one of these in the USA for a while and even when we do who knows what bands of LTE it will support.

It would be completely awesome if they launched the dual sim, microSD version with USA carriers, but most US carriers hear dual sim and are for some reason afraid.
    08-07-2015 11:15 AM

S6 is probably not selling as well as Samsung hoped. But it seems to be doing better than S5 for sure. For record, S4 sold around 40M for its life span and S5 is estimated to be well below that mark though samsung doesn't reveal exact figure on it.

Initial projection of S6 was 50~60M depending on source. But now it's dialed back down to around 45M in latest market analysis. Quite less than samsung wanted but still it's decent figure if it pans out that way. It's ironic that S5 with every feature that S6 is criticized for missing was the phone that brought steep decline of sales for Samsung.
    08-07-2015 11:41 AM
    I hope the Note 5 does well and likley will given they started the phablet market when everyone thought they were crazy. If you don't like the S+/Note 5 designs then wait until next year to see what they do to improve on it. Users bash Samsung for not using premium materials and pushing the design envelope, they do and those same users bash them for using said premium materials that cost them a swappable battery and no microSD.

Keep in mind these phones are in development 18 months or longer and designs are not something they can scrap on a whim, they have to use this years designs as is to get things moving along. Price is the biggest issue for Samsung, in addition to TW. If anything they need to follow what Motorola has done and ditch the custom overlay crap and allow their phones to be updated rapidly and easily.
    Adawg1203 likes this.
    08-07-2015 01:16 PM
    I think Samsung is taking a calculated risk. They know they are going to alienate some of the power users, but they are hoping to get some of the market share the apple iphone 6+ captured. Samsung is hoping to capture more of the apple people than they lose from their power user base.

Considering that even with the dropped features, its still going to be one of the top phones on the market, I think their strategy might work, even though I'm pissed to be losing some of these features!
    So you're thinking that their strategy is to go alienate some of the likely most loyal user base to go out and capture some of the "churn" apple customers. I understand the need for Samsung to grow the user base but doing so at the expense of customers already in hand seems a stupid strategy to me. It's way cheaper trying to keep a customer that you already have than getting new ones. It seems that with a little more thought they could have at least shown to existing customers that they were considering their needs by providing some bridging solutions. Take the Incipio Off Grid Case for example. Interesting idea to provide both SD card capabilities and additional battery power in a case for the S6. At this time it's not very well executed but when I saw this my thought was geez why couldn't Samsung have provided something like this as an accessory. At least when Apple moves away from their established solutions (lightning connector comes to mind) they provide some bridging solutions and adaptors showing an understanding of the established user base with "old technology". That's how you grow your business, keep what you have while attracting more users, not pissing off some to gain others. At this point if the rumours of the specs prove true I will certainly be one of those customers that will go the way of voting with my wallet and either going elsewhere or keeping my Note 4 which for all it's quirks still meets my needs better than anything else out there including the soon to be released note 5, and this is from someone who has an embarrassingly large number of Samsung devices (not just phones) in his house.
    21stNow likes this.
    08-07-2015 02:01 PM
    Mod Note - Just a reminder to keep things civil and follow "P.U.P.P.A.H".

Thanks!
    08-07-2015 02:03 PM
    I have a two-year old GS4 and my battery life is awful. I have a cradle charger at home and in the office, as well as a car charger. If I don't have access to a charger, my phone is dead by mid-afternoon. For someone like me, who is definitely going to upgrade, I will certainly wait and see what the new Note 5 offers when it is officially announced next week. I don't necessarily think that a non-removable battery is that big a deal...IF they have made software and hardware mods that make it more efficient. My wife has had iPhones for years and has never ever had a battery life issue. So, I know strong performance is possible. The lack of a SD slot is also not an issue for me IF they come in a 64GB or larger internal storage. Heck, I think it might help the phone efficiency not having two separate storage sources. I know a lot of purest are disappointed in the rumored Note 5 specs, but I will wait and give the phone a chance before throwing in the towel on it.
    08-07-2015 02:07 PM
    Someone within Verizon leaked out an image of upcoming smartphones which shows the Motorola Droid Turbo 2, S6 Edge Plus and the Note 5, but what I found interesting is that they only show a white and black Note 5 with 32GB. So with the earlier reports that the Note 5 will indeed rock a dual sim/MicroSD tray than that would make since if they're only selling a 32GB version. Maybe there is still hope for those who still want this key feature

Will the Note 5 have removable battery and storage?-note-5.jpg
    08-07-2015 02:16 PM
    For those that are saying that Samsung users were complaining about the plastic build of Samsung phones, how far back are you going when you say that you heard this? I heard many users complaining about this when the Galaxy S series was new (2010-11), but as time went on, it was Apple and HTC users that complained about it more than people who bought the Galaxy S III and later. At that point, people who remained Samsung users were more or less willing to sacrifice the plastic vs. metal or glass to have the other things that Samsung devices offered.

By the time we reach 2014-15, my guess is that most people who were still using Samsung devices couldn't care less about the material that the phones are made of. Any HTC customers that were willing to switch have pretty much switched to either Samsung devices or devices from other OEMs. I think that Samsung has more to lose than to gain by listening to the non-Samsung users' complaints about plastic.
    08-07-2015 02:20 PM
    Don't get your hops up...I doubt that means it will have a Sim Card

The base models for the Note 5 are 32GB/62GB/128GB like the S6
    Plus with the recent photo leaks, don't really see any sign of a MicroSD, but we just have to wait
    08-07-2015 02:26 PM
    You guys know there is a reason the Samsung didn't put a SD card in the S6 and the Note 5 right? It cause they are using UFS 2.0 for the phones main storage:

" As one of our readers rightly pointed out, there is another obstacle that would make it hard for Samsung to put UFS 2.0 storage and a microSD slot on a smartphone. SD cards and the eMMC 5.0 solution used on other flagships are able to use the same memory controller (the controller is what handles data transfer and communication with things like the processor), making it easier for them to exist in the same device. UFS 2.0, on the other hand, uses a new type of memory controller, and Samsung will have to find ways to interface the new controller with the one used on SD cards to be able to make them work together without affecting overall performance. It’s possible Samsung will find a solution to this in the future, but for now, it doesn’t look like a smartphone with UFS 2.0 storage will be featuring a microSD slot any time soon."

Link to the article if intrested:

Expecting the Galaxy Note 5 to have a microSD slot? Don’t - SamMobile
    08-07-2015 02:28 PM
1,007 ... 3031323334 ...