The first note I won't buy? (all discussion about lack of microSD and removable battery must go here)

Rocketman88

Aug 17, 2015
Visit site
Re: Are you gonna buy the Galaxy Note 5?

Here, too, been a Galaxy user for several years, usually really excited about the new phones and upgrading, but not so much this time. Let me get the straight, I am going to downgrade to a smaller battery(I use very bit that my Note has), give up the storage I use very bit of, and spend my money to do this? Nope, I will stick with my old Note 3, it does what I want, when I want.

Cloud storage is great, but I resent it being forced on me, especially since, like most people, I have to pay for data, and streaming everything off the cloud is going to burn up data in a hurry, and two, I fly alot, ever try to get 4g from 30,000 feet to watch a movie? One my note 3 I have several to choose from, all stored nicely on my SD card.

It's like buying a car with a 2 gallon gas tank and being told, no problem, gas stations are everywhere, just stop every trip to refill. And don't go on long trips, out of range of a refill.

BrockS.

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: The first note I won't buy?

Possibly. But keep this in mind. We're not talking here about the entire universe of users. First, let's narrow it down to just Android. And now, let's just talk about (A) Samsung users; and THEN just for (B) a Note line. At each level, those are different users.

I have no proof, either, but I'm willing to bet that that last group as a whole is far more inclined to want high-end features that differentiated Samsung from others---because that's why a lot of us came to Samsung in the first place. To a considerable extent, they are now taking away some of the main reasons for which we came to Samsung. Why should we stay? After all, who told us these things were great things that made Samsung a great company? A: Samsung. Hmmm.

In the overall universe, we're a smaller subset of reality. In Samsung's universe, I suspect this is an important demographic, even if still a minority. Which is to say, you don't have to think that Samsung's sales will collapse to think this will nonetheless have an effect. Given all the pressures that Samsung is under (spotlighted Why Samsung should be nervous about its premium Galaxy smartphones - CNET ), they don't have to lose 50% of their sales for this to be meaningful. If they lose 10-15% of sales they could've made--in this marketplace, with what is happening of late, that really matters.

It's hard to measure sales you "could've made," and I don't frankly think we will see the entire consequence of this for at least another year until we see patterns and trends. Lots of people are on contracts. Lots of people don't upgrade every year any more. Let's see what happens when the "6" comes out if they maintain this policy. I know I won't buy it no matter what else it has. I'll keep the 4 or I'll see what LG and Moto are offering.

I also don't assume that some "research" they've done is necessarily the be-all and end-all. How did they do it? What were the parameters? Did they ignore results arrogantly, "well, we're Samsung, if we do this everyone will like it." Did they concentrate on just Note users? I dunno---but it wouldn't be the first time in history that corporations made monumental misjudgments and read the market wrong.

You bring up excellent points. I remember when the CEO brought up the market research they did at the S5 unveiling event. If you believe the press, that did not pan out well for them and eventually led to the drastic changes we are seeing in the S6 and Note 5, which I think will encounter their own problems (Price vs Storage). From the outside looking in,it appears Samsung is trying to expand by being more like the "other guys" instead of building brand loyalty with existing customers and making the case for others to give them a go.

David Rosen

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site

To me, the removable battery and removable SD card aren't the issue... the issue is 64gb max and not a bigger a battery. Fast charging doesn't help if I can't get to a charger before it dies, and 64gb is the most I can ever have? So much for apps, music, videos, games, VR experiences, pictures and books all living side by side on my device. I can barely keep my Note 4's 32GB + 64GB SD over 1GB free (and the phone starts acting like real trash once it's under 1GB free)... And that's with showing a ton of restraint. I want way more stuff on my phone since it's my most used device out of anything I own. It's just ridiculous that there's not a 128GB option.

rinkeedink

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Re: Are you gonna buy the Galaxy Note 5?

I dont like Samsung for bagging out on microSD and battery after years of developing loyalty to those features on the Note series. I will not be "upgrading" to a Note 5 limited to 64 GB from my tried and true rooted and rommed Note 3 with 96 GB of local and expanded storage. Don't think I'll bother with a Note 4 at this point. The Spen is a novelty to me anyhow.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Moderator Reminder keep the trolling to a minimum, language clean and no personal attacks, insults, etc. Keep it professional and follow PUPPAH.

sent via Nexus Assassin Edition. Gonfaloniere.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Moderator Reminder keep the trolling to a minimum, language clean and no personal attacks, insults, etc. Keep it professional and follow PUPPAH.

sent via Nexus Assassin Edition. Gonfaloniere.

Good sticking all this in one thread since seems best the rest of the threads be to people that have the device or want it. Everything it seems that could be said has been and the fact is if you value either feature there are other options. Buying or not buying is the true voice of the consumer :)

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

To me, the removable battery and removable SD card aren't the issue... the issue is 64gb max and not a bigger a battery. Fast charging doesn't help if I can't get to a charger before it dies, and 64gb is the most I can ever have? So much for apps, music, videos, games, VR experiences, pictures and books all living side by side on my device. I can barely keep my Note 4's 32GB + 64GB SD over 1GB free (and the phone starts acting like real trash once it's under 1GB free)... And that's with showing a ton of restraint. I want way more stuff on my phone since it's my most used device out of anything I own. It's just ridiculous that there's not a 128GB option.

Apparently due to price they did not sell very well for the S6. Samsung probably wants to focus (at least for now) on the sizes that apparently did sell well. Apple gets away with having premium prices and having the 128GB since most users are vested in their app, media and hardware ecosystem. Those consumers in that system are more likely to spend the higher cost for 128GB. Android users have other lower total cost options, so not as "forced loyal" to a product. Android users can move from one product to another and their apps and media (as example) are not lost in the OS switch.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Come back after six months and let us know how that battery is holding up, then after one year.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
OK. One of my older phone was launched in the spring of 2011 and is still in use to this day as a hand-me-down to a family member since 2012. It has less than 2000 MaH removable battery that wasn't swapped out until year ago.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
So, I guess you don't own a charger that actually plug into the phone?
If you are at your house or in a car, it would make sense to just plug it in.

I believe I already answered that. I agreed that on a normal day at home it's not a problem because I'm always near a charger! But on lots of days, I'm not always at my house/office. They aren't normal days. I also rarely use a car, by the way, in an urban area. And in a car or on a plane, a fresh battery is often a superior solution to tying the phone into a jack or battery pack because you're picking it up, moving it around, setting GPS, etc... I've tried all the solutions. Nothing is simpler than a fresh battery. But again, not everyone's usage patterns and lifestyles are the same. If you don't travel much, maybe it's a different issue for you. That's really the key point.

Want a real world example? The last time I used an external battery pack on a plane, it was an acceptable solution, but it also meant I couldn't move my phone much without worrying about knocking over a glass of water or coffee with tangled cords or what not given how little space I had in one of those tiny little coach seats. With TWO devices on the tray table, it took up all my room and it was cumbersome. Try reading an ebook while you eat in coach class on an airplane when the external battery pack is attached to the phone. It left me no space to eat or do anything else. It was way easier to pop in a new battery and when I got to the hotel, put the travel charger with the depleted battery in a socket and go about my business with a fresh battery in the phone.

I like phones that make my life easier not harder.

Last edited:

me23brown

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
Well I had a Note 4 and was planning on the Note 5 but while I like the option of replacing the battery the killer issue was the lack of an SD card. I have way too much media and need the card support. So I decided on the G4 and even though I've only had it a few days I'm loving it.

crystinonfire

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site

It will be interesting to see what happens with US carriers moving away from the subsidy model. For $100-$300 people were able to buy a new phone every 2 years which is about where the battery would no longer hold a decent charge.

Will consumers want to keep their phones longer since now a phone will run $500-$800? If so, would be nice to change the battery at ~2yrs and restore life to what is still a decent phone.

My Note 2 (from December 2012) is still running with its original battery and it holds a charge just fine.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The G4 seems the better choice for media fans than the Note 5, but seems the Note 4 is better than both. ;)

Be careful, Cinderella has a song, Don't Know What You've Got Til It's Gone :)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
For me, I refuse to accept a sealed/embedded battery because it limits my options and forces me to have to plug the phone into a charging source. Whereas with a user-replaceable battery I maintain the option to swap it out on the fly to get back to a full charge within minutes (something not even fast charging is able to do). Personally I find that option invaluable as it not only keeps my phone untethered at all times, but allows me the freedom to use it as hard as I like knowing that spare will be back to a full charge faster than I can drain the one in the phone. Rinse and repeat that cycle as much as wanted/needed.

Also unlike a sealed/embedded battery, no worries about ever managing the charge level hoping to maintain its longevity, or having to deal with one that may be losing its capacity, or worse one that just goes bad. Instead I can have multiple batteries (as many as I want) to spread out the wear and tear or just use and abuse them without worry as they can be easily replaced (at minimal cost).

So if you were to buy a "flagship" today, it would be the LG G4?

HolyBuckeye

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Note 3 to Note 5?

Do you guys think it will be worth going from the Note 3 to the 5? I see a lot want to stay with the 4. I think my N3 is getting on it's final legs here soon (having trouble receiving text messages among other things)

Not having a removable battery and no SD slot makes no difference to me as I never used the extra storage and I never use more than the 1 battery

Also If I make the move this weekend, I would have to go on Verizon's device payment plan (or whatever the heck it's called now)..or I can wait until February when my contract is up. Is this phone worth going on that plan you think?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Note 3 to Note 5?

Do you guys think it will be worth going from the Note 3 to the 5? I see a lot want to stay with the 4. I think my N3 is getting on it's final legs here soon (having trouble receiving text messages among other things)

Not having a removable battery and no SD slot makes no difference to me as I never used the extra storage and I never use more than the 1 battery

Also If I make the move this weekend, I would have to go on Verizon's device payment plan (or whatever the heck it's called now)..or I can wait until February when my contract is up. Is this phone worth going on that plan you think?
Note 5 would be my recommendation. What plan do you have now? If your plan doesn't give a discount for off contract then it makes sense to go with contract

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

If you don't need a removable battery or expandable storage then the Note 5 is a great choice. Other than the two things I mentioned, it's better than the Note 4 pretty much across the board :)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Agree that if you're not tied to removable stuff, then the Note 5 is quite a bit better than the 4.

JawjaBill

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Flagship Device?

People like myself can calm all the way down if we just not think of the 5 as a flagship device. I don't believe Samsung considers the Note 5 a leader of the pack device. The Note 5 is the "Next Thing" not the "Next Big Thing". Samsung's new tablets have been gutted as well. ...and they are working on a Snapdragon 808 flip phone.

I usually buy 2 Notes every year. The wife wants the new Note 5 and it has been pre-ordered. I am currently taking applications for the "Next Big Thing".