04-25-2017 07:16 AM
3,351 ... 1718192021 ...
tools
    You only have to charge them if you use them. I had them for the note 4 and they were convenient sometimes.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    08-26-2015 03:45 PM
    It is something nice to have in a pinch. Most people never had an extra battery anyway. I had one with my Note 2 but Samsung just sent it to me. I never had an extra battery for another and never needed one.
    08-26-2015 03:48 PM
    It is something nice to have in a pinch. Most people never had an extra battery anyway. I had one with my Note 2 but Samsung just sent it to me. I never had an extra battery for another and never needed one.
    Never say never. It seems like for the Note 5, most of us already have had to make some concessions, and having a spare battery would negate the concessions.

ThrottleJohnny, how can charging your phone and the spare battery the same time before bedtime, all of 3 seconds, when you're then sound asleep, be more inconvenient than being awake and being tethered to a wall throughout your waking day? When you wake up, you have 2 fresh batteries. Plus, it only takes 30 secs to swap the battery and be 100% again.
    08-26-2015 04:23 PM
    I'm not saying I never needed to charge when out and about, just that I never needed the extra battery.

I have fast charging in my car and a fast charge external battery and I always keep an extra wall charger in my purse.
    08-26-2015 04:35 PM
    I have fast charging in my car and a fast charge external battery and I always keep an extra wall charger in my purse.
    Right, so when your battery is running low, which mode is faster to be 100% again? Besides, with the swappable battery with you, you don't need to keep an extra wall charger in your purse, any charging wires in your car, and an external battery. Would you want these 3 additional things when you leave the house or just 1? Would you want 3 cumbersome charging cables or 1 thin and portable battery?
    08-26-2015 04:53 PM
    Right. But at the end of the day, you still have two used batteries to recharge. No thanks. Especially when I don't need it.

That's what I mean by my needs never changing. In regards to THE BATTERY.

Posted via the Android Central App
    External battery charger....

debdroid1a likes this.
    08-26-2015 05:00 PM
    Never say never. It seems like for the Note 5, most of us already have had to make some concessions, and having a spare battery would negate the concessions.

ThrottleJohnny, how can charging your phone and the spare battery the same time before bedtime, all of 3 seconds, when you're then sound asleep, be more inconvenient than being awake and being tethered to a wall throughout your waking day? When you wake up, you have 2 fresh batteries. Plus, it only takes 30 secs to swap the battery and be 100% again.
    Because I never needed it, so it would be a waste of time and money.

Gray Area likes this.
    08-26-2015 05:01 PM
    Heavy usage

Attached Thumbnails Note 5 Battery life thread-1964.jpg  
    tfou79 likes this.
    08-26-2015 05:03 PM
    Right, so when your battery is running low, which mode is faster to be 100% again? Besides, with the swappable battery with you, you don't need to keep an extra wall charger in your purse, any charging wires in your car, and an external battery. Would you want these 3 additional things when you leave the house or just 1? Would you want 3 cumbersome charging cables or 1 thin and portable battery?
    The charger takes up the same room in my purse. I keep it in the same little case I kept the battery in.
    debdroid1a likes this.
    08-26-2015 05:20 PM
    Right now I'm not getting any better battery life than I do with the G4. In fact, the G4 idles MUCH better than the Note 5 does.
    Clayspeed01 likes this.
    08-26-2015 05:40 PM
    I haven't had idle issues but a couple of people have.
    08-26-2015 05:40 PM
    The charger takes up the same room in my purse. I keep it in the same little case I kept the battery in.
    Well, if you think the 3 charging items you have mentioned are more convenient than the 1 swappable battery, I don't know what else to say. 😄

Getting back to topic though, hopefully an update would help to alleviate many of the battery concerns here of the Note 5.
    08-26-2015 06:19 PM
    Well, if you think the 3 charging items you have mentioned are more convenient than the 1 swappable battery, I don't know what else to say. 😄

Getting back to topic though, hopefully an update would help to alleviate many of the battery concerns here of the Note 5.
    I don't think an update is needed. The battery has been tested before it was released. It comes down to people making sure what their phone is doing.

Bad signal will drain your battery fast.

Apps you don't use even, will report location to Google and keep your phone from going into deep sleep if the WiFi setting doesn't turn your WiFi off when asleep and you don't turn off WiFi scanning.

Some people have things syncing more often than other people or more things. I have weather apps that are polling for information every 60 mins, but if there is an alert, it switches to every two minutes. So if we have bad weather my battery won't last as long.

I don't have Google keep location history or have Google Now tell me about traffic or other reminders.

This battery has already been shown to be better than the N4 battery, which is why I said.. If you had problems with your N4 battery and didn't change anything, you will have problems with your N5. Also with a new phone, sometimes you have changed settings on the old phone with apps and don't realize it and have to change those settings back on the new phone.
    Katrina White1 and debdroid1a like this.
    08-26-2015 06:42 PM
    Right now I'm not getting any better battery life than I do with the G4. In fact, the G4 idles MUCH better than the Note 5 does.
    I beg to differ. The Note 5 standby mode is as good as the Nexus 6 with Android M Preview. The Note 4 was bad at that

08-26-2015 06:47 PM
    I would stop arguing with him. It seems that all he is doing is making himself feel better at this point. Let him have his removable batteries. It's either his way or not at all in his mind. I seem to remember him being this way at iMore as well.

ladyc0524 and debdroid1a like this.
    08-26-2015 06:59 PM
    fast charge external battery and I always keep an extra wall charger in my purse.
    There's fast charge external batteries? I need one...
    08-26-2015 07:08 PM
    There's fast charge external batteries? I need one...
    Here..

http://www.androidcentral.com/hands-...-quick-charger
    debdroid1a likes this.
    08-26-2015 07:20 PM
    At Amazon and there might even be one that is bigger now.

http://www.amazon.com/Qualcomm-Certi...cUvbUpU4639796
    tanson1011 likes this.
    08-26-2015 07:23 PM
    I beg to differ. The Note 5 standby mode is as good as the Nexus 6 with Android M Preview. The Note 4 was bad at that

You can beg to differ all you want. I commented on my experience, which is obviously different from yours.

I do agree that the N6 on M idles very well.
    08-26-2015 07:26 PM
    You can beg to differ all you want. I commented on my experience, which is obviously different from yours.

I do agree that the N6 on M idles very well.
    Try Doze ahead of time, well at least an app called the same that does the same...

Download this and just add to the Active list the ones that you want to notify you or keep running in the background for anything you may think of, then see if your standby time gets better, it should.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...KkCsW0edzggsgI
    jdhooghe likes this.
    08-26-2015 08:06 PM
    Try Doze ahead of time, well at least an app called the same that does the same...

Download this and just add to the Active list the ones that you want to notify you or keep running in the background for anything you may think of, then see if your standby time gets better, it should.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...KkCsW0edzggsgI
    Here's the thing. I don't have time to manage an app. I'm not saying that the idle life on the Note 5 is so bad that I can't deal with it (I can since I can charge pretty much all of the time on a wireless charger), but my point is that the Note 5 is not the be-all-end-all of battery life like previous Note devices seemingly have been. I had an S6 Edge before this and it was absolutely terrible on battery no matter what, so this is still a big improvement over that.

I have also learned that few people use a device in a similar manner as me. I have had a TON of devices over the past few years, and no matter what I read or who I talk to my battery life is also worse. If we were to set a bell curve for battery life, I would be the lowest score that gets lopped off for ruining the curve. :P
    verks likes this.
    08-26-2015 08:26 PM
    Here's the thing. I don't have time to manage an app. I'm not saying that the idle life on the Note 5 is so bad that I can't deal with it (I can since I can charge pretty much all of the time on a wireless charger), but my point is that the Note 5 is not the be-all-end-all of battery life like previous Note devices seemingly have been. I had an S6 Edge before this and it was absolutely terrible on battery no matter what, so this is still a big improvement over that.

I have also learned that few people use a device in a similar manner as me. I have had a TON of devices over the past few years, and no matter what I read or who I talk to my battery life is also worse. If we were to set a bell curve for battery life, I would be the lowest score that gets lopped off for ruining the curve. :P
    I think I can also say I've had an incredible amount of phones in the past years myself, and being an IT manager of an office with 40 employees and 8 servers where I don't even have an assistant, yes, I'm a 1 man department, I think I can also say that I don't have time to manage apps, but installing this app and then select a couple of apps to keep Active that takes me about 2 minutes at most, won't make any difference in my life.

I respect you don't want to try it, but believe me, with a one time - couple of minutes of your time setup, you can easily identify if there is some specific app keeping awake your phone and even better, you can easily increase the battery life not just of the Note 5, but any other phones you may have in the future. It really worth the try.

If you decide to do it later, let us know the results.
    jdhooghe likes this.
    08-26-2015 08:38 PM
    Here is what I happens when I get home and work kicks in.

Note 5 Battery life thread-uploadfromtaptalk1440642075100.jpg

08-26-2015 09:21 PM
    Here is where I am at today. Not too bad. Still don't know what is up with cell standby. I have shut off advanced calling. I have tried wiping cache and turn of WiFi. As well as every combination of off and on of those swtting s. Can't figure it out. I am using the verizon version

Attached Thumbnails Note 5 Battery life thread-278.jpg   Note 5 Battery life thread-279.jpg  
    singletary likes this.
    08-26-2015 09:52 PM
    I read on here that some people are experiencing bad Cell Standby, and wish there was a way to improve the battery from this issue. Well, I just came upon this thread : http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...tery-life.html

In this thread it does talk about Cell Standby, and ANT Plugins.

I was getting frustrated with how my battery kept draining every 1 minute or so, even with low brightness, disabled bloatware apps (or I thought they were from the Application Manager download tab) Wifi ON, 4g LTE on, background apps disabled from running, turning off location history. I could go on,but eventually I went into Application Manager and selected the 'All' tab. I went back over those bloatware apps, and sure enough they were STILL Enabled. NOW that I have disabled them, my battery has increased to another hour. It had 4 hours left, but after I found the solution, it went up to 5 hours. It's not draining slowly anymore. Yay!
    Gray Area and jdhooghe like this.
    08-26-2015 10:50 PM
3,351 ... 1718192021 ...